My bird had a stroke!

Deisyg21

Mar 29, 2015
Media
Hello, i know i have been posting a lot but things are not going well for me. Yesterday my parrot was fine, eating, and playing. But 40 minutes later y couldnā€™t breathe and was falling from my shoulder. He became very weak in seconds and lethargic. I thought he was not going to make it to the hospital. When this happens in less than 40 min we were already in the emergency room. Here where I live there are no avian vets. They charged us a lot of money but I didnā€™t care to pay as long as he will be saved. As soon as we got to the hospital he was put on oxygen. They were going to perform xrays, give him fluids and i dont know what else that it became a 1400 dlls bill. He stayed overnight.

I just received a call with good news, he made it, and he is up and flying and eating. Apparently he had a stroke or thats what the doctor think. Im still very scared, to bring him home and that something happens. Has anyone has experience something like this? How was the recovery? Do they recover at all? Since this happened to him can this happen again, anytime? Any special care he needs from now on? I forgot to mention at the hospital they didnā€™t do blood test, i was planning on driving as far as 4 hours to get him to an avian vet but i only see vets with bad reviews. I am from fresno ca.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Sorry to know your bird is unwell, glad to see he is stabilized and active. Can you share age, how long you've had him, species, diet, and cage accommodations?

Diagnosis of stroke is generally by symptoms as we lack specialized MRI or CAT scan equipment to pinpoint brain condition. Stroke is a possibility, there are potentially other causes for what you describe. The good news is humans and birds can recover from stroke, though I do not believe blood thinners are approved for avians. I am surprised they did not do blood testing - perhaps he was too stressed?

An experienced certified avian vet is best for these events, perhaps other members can share similar experiences. You'll need to keep him calm and minimize stress when he returns home. Might have to modify the cage to allow perching at lower levels in case of fall.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
There is no question that emergency care is expensive regardless of whether it is Human or Avian care.

The lack of a Full Spectrum Blood Screen (as stated above) was likely due to the condition of your Parrot, i.e. stressed. However, Blood Testing needs to be completed to better define what occurred and a likely reason.

The information requested by Scott really helps in better understand what medical issue your Parrot likely suffered.

I am very lucking to have not only a Certified Avian Vet nearby, but a fair number of Avian Professionals that as a result of their love for Parrots (and ownership) have taken the additional training to care for Parrots. Find out who your local Zoo works with for their Avians.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This sounds like exposure to Teflon or other airborne acute poison....

I once had a little piece of plastic fall on a burner, I took three steps grabbed my parrots cage and opened the door and threw it outside, the burd were already dizzy and falling down. They lived. But from the time the plastic hit the burner to the time I had them outside had to be less than five seconds......

Was there any cooking, ironing board being used, anything????

Iā€™m so glad you reacted quickly and that your bird is alive!!!!

OP
D

Deisyg21

Mar 29, 2015
Media
Sorry to know your bird is unwell, glad to see he is stabilized and active. Can you share age, how long you've had him, species, diet, and cage accommodations?

Diagnosis of stroke is generally by symptoms as we lack specialized MRI or CAT scan equipment to pinpoint brain condition. Stroke is a possibility, there are potentially other causes for what you describe. The good news is humans and birds can recover from stroke, though I do not believe blood thinners are approved for avians. I am surprised they did not do blood testing - perhaps he was too stressed?

An experienced certified avian vet is best for these events, perhaps other members can share similar experiences. You'll need to keep him calm and minimize stress when he returns home. Might have to modify the cage to allow perching at lower levels in case of fall.

He is three years old. I have had him since he was 8 weeks old. His diet consists mainly of zupreem fruit flavor pellets and seeds. I also give them treats like nutri berries or millet. He has a flight cage. With food by the middle where the cage has those rings to put the bowls. Perches are high but he ls most of the time on top of the cage (it has a play top, theres also food on the top).

Vet did xrays and did not find nothing. Price was adjusted almost to half since they didnā€™t do anything but xrays, and oxygen all night. (No fluids, no antibiotics or medicine). He described ā€œAir sacs appear inflated, no obvious mineral foreign body in IG tract, though there is mineral opacity in the caudal abdomen, skeletal structures unremarkable. Possible mild cardiomegaly. Radiology review pending.ā€
My bird did not have any paralized part he was just very weak and couldnā€™t breath. Also, his tail was crooked.

OP
D

Deisyg21

Mar 29, 2015
Media
This sounds like exposure to Teflon or other airborne acute poison....

I once had a little piece of plastic fall on a burner, I took three steps grabbed my parrots cage and opened the door and threw it outside, the burd were already dizzy and falling down. They lived. But from the time the plastic hit the burner to the time I had them outside had to be less than five seconds......

Was there any cooking, ironing board being used, anything????

Iā€™m so glad you reacted quickly and that your bird is alive!!!!

No no cooking at all. Plus my stove is electric and I changed all my cookware to stainless steel because of them. No cleaning supplies, candles or perfume.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
any air fryer? popcorn popper? dip trays? burned foods? New couches/carpet etc? Paint or glue? air fresheners? Cleaners?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Inflamed air sacs and what you describes, really I worry about airborne toxin
Like Noodles is saying , dangers are in a lot of things...
Hand sanitizer on your hands? If you have other pets a flea medication on your hands? Bug spray? Smoke? Pesticides residue on food??
What part of the world do you live in?

Last edited:
OP
D

Deisyg21

Mar 29, 2015
Media
any air fryer? popcorn popper? dip trays? burned foods? New couches/carpet etc? Paint or glue? air fresheners? Cleaners?

Hello no, i was just told he has an enlarged heart. I will look for an avian vet as soon as possible. For now, i just ordered new pellets with no sugar/dyes.

OP
D

Deisyg21

Mar 29, 2015
Media
And, this three year old Parrot is a: (add Species here)

Green cheeck conure

14724E9B-91E9-49E5-9D3C-6D59900E0D34.jpg

OP
D

Deisyg21

Mar 29, 2015
Media
Hand sanitizer on your hands? If you have other pets a flea medication on your hands? Bug spray? Smoke? Pesticides residue on food??

Hi, I live in Fresno CA. And the vet just told me he has an enlarged heart. And that the next time he could not make it. Im devastated

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Hi, I live in Fresno CA. And the vet just told me he has an enlarged heart. And that the next time he could not make it. Im devastated

Enlarged heart has many causes, does the vet still believe he suffered a stroke? Second opinion by a certified avian vet would be helpful, though I realize you live in Fresno. If interested, check this link: https://www.aav.org/search/newsearch.asp
I had to select the 250 mile search. For "Degree" drop down menu, select ABVP. (Avian Practice)
This search engine will open the door to more "exotcs" rather than certified: https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/find-an-avian-vet/

Did they weigh your bird and give any advice? Diet is important, would be beneficial transitioning to a diet with more fresh veggies/fruits than pellets or seed. http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html

Good luck, please keep us updated with how your bird is doing.

Most Reactions

Latest posts