My bird is biting me, hard

junipersr

Feb 23, 2022
Parrots
Percy
I'm a first time bird owner and I got my lovebird, Percy, a few months ago. He came from a previous owner who couldn't give him enough attention, we think he's around 10 months old now. Now I say he, but he hasn't been sexed and I'm starting to think he's far more likely to be a female. I've caught him stuffing pieces of his shredding toys in his back feathers, and he has become so so bitey. I don't even know what to do with him. I've been practicing putting my hand on the other side of the cage so that when he bites at it, my hand doesn't go away in hopes that he'll associate his biting with nothing happening. I've also been trying to associate my hands with seeds, because we only give him seeds in his foraging toys or when he's out with us, but it's really hard to get away without getting bit. And he bites hard, I don't want to give him a reaction but it's hard when my finger is bleeding everywhere. I've had him run at me from a foot away just to bite my hand. Lately he's also taken to going for the neck. We keep moving his toys around and trying to keep him stimulated but it's been a couple weeks of biting to no avail. Does anybody have any tips? Is this hormonal behavior? Will it pass? I really want to be able to take him out and spend time with him, but I also can't deal with how painful the bites are. He's also been molting so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
Hello sounds like hormones could be part of it but I would say stick with the hand feeding treats. And stop putting you hand on the side of the cage. It sounds like it could be stressful and it's better to only associate yourself with nice things. Certainly in the begining of your relationship.
Also try offering a sprig of millet let him take 1 bite at a time removing it from his reach after each bite. Bonus it keeps your fingers at a safe distance

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yep could very well be hormones. THe first mating season is usually the worst. Try to avoid the bites so you dont let them become a permanent thing.

Mozayic

May 1, 2022
Parrots
Meyers
I'm a first time bird owner and I got my lovebird, Percy, a few months ago. He came from a previous owner who couldn't give him enough attention, we think he's around 10 months old now. Now I say he, but he hasn't been sexed and I'm starting to think he's far more likely to be a female. I've caught him stuffing pieces of his shredding toys in his back feathers, and he has become so so bitey. I don't even know what to do with him. I've been practicing putting my hand on the other side of the cage so that when he bites at it, my hand doesn't go away in hopes that he'll associate his biting with nothing happening. I've also been trying to associate my hands with seeds, because we only give him seeds in his foraging toys or when he's out with us, but it's really hard to get away without getting bit. And he bites hard, I don't want to give him a reaction but it's hard when my finger is bleeding everywhere. I've had him run at me from a foot away just to bite my hand. Lately he's also taken to going for the neck. We keep moving his toys around and trying to keep him stimulated but it's been a couple weeks of biting to no avail. Does anybody have any tips? Is this hormonal behavior? Will it pass? I really want to be able to take him out and spend time with him, but I also can't deal with how painful the bites are. He's also been molting so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.
I had a very similar issue with a conure that I adopted from a previous home. I may be able to offer you some insights from my experience, but as each bird is an individual, it will take time, patience, and persistence to effect any behavioral change--especially when a young bird has been exposed to a less-than-desirable setting. At this moment, I don't have the time to share with you but will contact you again very soon.

Miamax10

Mar 23, 2022
Parrots
Phoenix ELECTUS parrot
Have you tried target training with clicker and treats and tricks to get him association the stick with biting and it will get extra playful out and not your hand and try pucicking him up with thin bit of twig to carry him so he not biting and if he molting are you bathe daily

Most Reactions