My budgies beak? Help?

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
The pictures are blurry, a female budgies get brown stuff on their nares (noses) that us normal. But again I can't tell by this picture. Cleaning the cage is a must, use dilute vinegar and water wipe everything, then go back and wipe with water and dry. As for the chest ??? Does this budgie pluck???? You might have other issues going on... Amsterdam went to heroic efferts to treat and care for his rescue budgies, despite difficulty in finding appropriate veterinarian help. Where do you live? Also I would stop useing the lip stuff, having food and dirt stick to that is not helping your bird. Budgies usually will eat and nibble leafy greens, like romaine lettuce, bok choy, spinach, and other leafy greens like mustard leaf, and other lettuce other than ice burg which isn't nutritious. Usually will nibble broccoli, and bell peppers seeds ok to from the peppers.

Thank you! Im sorry about the photos, i am bad at taking pictures. I don't know what gender my budgie is since it has a light blue cere but displays female mating behaviour. I think it plucks from stress, but i cant fix the stress right now, I think it might be lonely and i plan to buy it a mate when it gets healed so it wont infect the other bird. Since it doesn't use the cage anymore i think ill just throw it away to be sure. I went to the vet 2 weeks ago to get some help but they said they don't know stuff about parrots, but they gave me some blue stuff to rub on its nose and some pills.And yes i think i overused the lip stuff this time, i think ill try and use some of the stuff the vet gave me more. I will try to go to a parrot vet in another town soon. Thank you for the food recommendations, whenever i have some salad i share it with my bird and it looks so cute when it eats,i haven't tried bell pepper and broccoli though.

Just a point here, as I just caught this post by the OP...First of all, a Budgie with a SOLID BLUE OR PURPLE CERE is a male; However, a Budgie with a BLUE OR PURPLE CERE THAT HAS FAINT, WHITE RINGS AROUND BOTH NOSTRILS IS A FEMALE. That's commonly overlooked...So a Budgie with a Cere that is SOLID blue, pink, or purple is a male...A Budgie with a white, tan, brown cere, as well as a cere that is blue or purple with white rings around each nostril are also females...

**I highly advise you against bringing home a second Budgie with the idea being that it will be a friend/mate for him/her...First of all, you have absolutely no idea how they will react to each other, as parrots form relationships/bonds with other birds very much the same way people do...They might love each other and bond closely, they may like each other but not bond closely, they may just tolerate each other, they may dislike each other, they may dislike each other and be want nothing to do with each other at all, they might absolutely hate each other and be aggressive/violent with each other...A great rule to follow is "NEVER buy a second bird for your first bird!!!" So you should only bring home a second Budgie because YOU want one, and you must approach the situation like they will not like each other at all, meaning you absolutely CANNOT HOUSE THEM TOGETHER FROM DAY !, so you have to always buy or already have a cage for the second bird ready, with it's own food and water dishes, toys, Cuttlebone and Mineral Block, perches, etc. You cannot just buy a second bird, bring it home, and put it in the same cage as your current bird. Unfortunately a lot of people do this and it ends in tragedy...

***Also, you must always keep any new bird in a totally separate room from your current birds for the first 30 days as a health-Quarantine; another reason that you must buy or already have a second cage, bowls, toys, etc. set-up for the new bird. Then after the 30-day Quarantine in a totally separate room from your current Budgie, you can move the new bird's cage into the same room as your current Budgie, and allow them to see each other, talk to each other, etc. for a good month or two, and allow them out of their cages together for short, SUPERVISED play-times...This is the time that will tell you what kind of relationship they are going to have moving forward...If they immediately become aggressive with each other then you'll know that they are not going to be friends/mates...

***And of course, if you buy a Budgie that is younger than 1 year old then you can't tell their gender from their Cere, as it can still change color up to a year old, and as already mentioned you don't want to put two Budgies of the opposite sex together, because IF THEY BOND CLOSELY they will mate/breed and lay fertile eggs...Now again, you have no idea if they'll even get along at all, but if they are of the opposite sex then the chance of breeding is always there, and Budgies do breed often and lay large clutches of eggs, up into the teens, and are very prone to "chronic egg-laying"...So that's not something you want...So it's best to get two Budgies of the same sex...

Firstly, like you wisely already said, you need to get this Scaly-Face Mites infestation completely, 100% cleared-up before anything else, because it will only continue to get worse and worse and worse, until his/her entire face and beak are taken-over by the mites...It's an awful infestation for them to have, but again very easily treatable with one, single injection of the correct dose of Ivermectin...

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Oh and do clean the cage and everything you have bird related to hospital standards when you get the injection...after all that trouble you do not want to bird to re-infect itself from a dirty perch or corner of the food/drinkbowl ;)

Very good point made by Christa...This is caused by a very aggressive "mite", a parasite that is hard to kill, though without a host they should die-off quickly...But EVERYTHING that the bird comes in-contact with needs to be completely disinfected with either a commercial disinfectant meant for Veterinary use and that kills everything, the best one being F10SC, OR just very hot water and straight Bleach, making sure that after you soak and scrub everything in the Bleach and hot water that you rinse it very, very thoroughly, until you can no longer smell any Bleach at all...The cage (scrub all the bars, the bottom grate, the bottom compartment, etc.), all the perches, all the toys, all the dishes, and then anything outside in your house that the Budgie has been sitting on/standing on or playing with, such as play-stands, T-stands. play-gyms, etc.

I would throw out any toys that are made of wood or anything else that is porous, same with any wooden perches, and also all CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks, and any other Food Items/Treats...When in-doubt, throw it out!

***What Christa said is very important and I'll reiterate it again, only start disinfecting/scrubbing/throwing things out AFTER you get the Budgie the Ivermectin treatment, otherwise he/she will only keep re-infecting themselves, which is probably part of the reason that the Scaly-Face came back like it did, although it was probably not killed by the treatments given in the first place if they weren't Ivermectin or another Anti-Parasitic medication of the same family given in the correct dose and route of administration.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Oh and do clean the cage and everything you have bird related to hospital standards when you get the injection...after all that trouble you do not want to bird to re-infect itself from a dirty perch or corner of the food/drinkbowl ;)

Very good point made by Christa...This is caused by a very aggressive "mite", a parasite that is hard to kill, though without a host they should die-off quickly...But EVERYTHING that the bird comes in-contact with needs to be completely disinfected with either a commercial disinfectant meant for Veterinary use and that kills everything, the best one being F10SC, OR just very hot water and straight Bleach, making sure that after you soak and scrub everything in the Bleach and hot water that you rinse it very, very thoroughly, until you can no longer smell any Bleach at all...The cage (scrub all the bars, the bottom grate, the bottom compartment, etc.), all the perches, all the toys, all the dishes, and then anything outside in your house that the Budgie has been sitting on/standing on or playing with, such as play-stands, T-stands. play-gyms, etc.

I would throw out any toys that are made of wood or anything else that is porous, same with any wooden perches, and also all CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks, and any other Food Items/Treats...When in-doubt, throw it out!

***What Christa said is very important and I'll reiterate it again, only start disinfecting/scrubbing/throwing things out AFTER you get the Budgie the Ivermectin treatment, otherwise he/she will only keep re-infecting themselves, which is probably part of the reason that the Scaly-Face came back like it did, although it was probably not killed by the treatments given in the first place if they weren't Ivermectin or another Anti-Parasitic medication of the same family given in the correct dose and route of administration.

If you clean with bleach, you must use the proper dilution and keep your bird out of the house during that time (as in hours...)...I would clean outside and even then, honestly the bleached cage etc needs to sit out in the sun after diluted bleach has been used to clean it. The fumes and chemicals are dangerous...especially to an already ill bird.I am not sure what you can do about the indoor surfaces without an avian-safe cleaner...

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Any update here? How is your Budgie doing?

AutumnBreeze

Aug 28, 2018
Canada, Alberta
Parrots
I have 2 sweet budgies, Nimbus and Banana. They are both boys Nimbus is 17 months and Banana is 11 years old though I've only had him for about 3 weeks. would write more but that's the max
that looks pretty bad. also yes make sure to clean the cage daily especially if they are in that kind of condition. also make sure to bathe them with either with a shallow dish or a spray bottle and luke warm water but not warm or cold because budgies are very sensitive. also is it possible they could be plucking? I'm not an expert but I'd say take that little guy to a certified avian vet ASAP. also make sure hes on as healthy diet as possible. if he doesn't eat pellets yet try getting him to eat some spinach cause spinach is packed full of healthy vitamins or really any fruit or veggie (except for avocadoes, onions, leeks ). also i've heard you can buy bird vitamins. i'm not sure how well they work but you mix them in with the water and it might help fight off whatevers wrong with them. I hope your situation improves and I wish you both luck!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
that looks pretty bad. also yes make sure to clean the cage daily especially if they are in that kind of condition. also make sure to bathe them with either with a shallow dish or a spray bottle and luke warm water but not warm or cold because budgies are very sensitive. also is it possible they could be plucking? I'm not an expert but I'd say take that little guy to a certified avian vet ASAP. also make sure hes on as healthy diet as possible. if he doesn't eat pellets yet try getting him to eat some spinach cause spinach is packed full of healthy vitamins or really any fruit or veggie (except for avocadoes, onions, leeks ). also i've heard you can buy bird vitamins. i'm not sure how well they work but you mix them in with the water and it might help fight off whatevers wrong with them. I hope your situation improves and I wish you both luck!

I just want to make sure that the OP knows not to EVER mix anything like vitamins, medications, supplements, etc. with their bird's drinking water...I know that AutumnBreeze meant very well, but mixing anything with your bird's drinking water contaminates it immediately, it starts the growth of bacteria, fungi, etc., plus you have no idea what dosage you're giving you bird...Also, birds don't need those vitamin "drops" at all, they are not good, and if your bird is eating a good diet, then they need not vitamins at all. Plus, your bird has an infestation with a mite called "Scaly Face", and no vitamins will help at all, the only thing that will help is an injection of Ivermectin from an Avian Vet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts