KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

Aug 14, 2021
Media
Wayne, PA
Parrots
Bubbles- An aqua and white female fancy parakeet

Star- An aqua and yellow (probably) male fancy parakeet

Kiwi- RIP my sweet little green boi TwT
So my two budgies, Kiwi and Bubbles, oh my gosh it’s been a month and this keeps happening. They look skinny all the time. Their wings flop down and tremble sometimes. This started… when I started leaving to school, I leave them with the amount of food they usually ate in one day before, but now if I give them food, like a bit of millet, they eat it desperately and hungrily and they just seem hungry and skinny, my mom didn’t notice any behavior changes, this just randomly happened… I put in some pictures…
8E7930D4-72FA-4A70-8BCB-1049D422342A.jpeg
0F5424C6-D0F7-47E8-899D-F32CF13B6CF3.jpeg
56009116-4E24-4E93-A181-A6713D5F2968.jpeg
BF2FCB3B-C145-4EB9-95FA-48E67CEA4A3A.jpeg

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Hi,

Thanks for the pictures, they always help!

Judging from the pictures, they don´t look skinny, although this is really hard to say in birds. The best way to be sure of that is to scale their weight every week. Can you have access of scaling for 100 grams? You would be surprised how easy it is to scale their weight, just wrap tightly the bird in a piece of soft paper or a tissue and lay it down on the scale.

Something like this:

bt1v8l8y4wr41.jpg

Of course you have to weight the tissue first to subtract from the total weight.

Now, back to the skinny looks. Can you tell if the day you took that picture as a hot day? The general aspect of wings slightly apart from the body as showed by Kiwi (the green one) is characteristic of a hot budgie or a scared budgie.

If you are able to observe their weight is decreasing you must go to a veterinarian as quick as possible for further investigation. :)

OP
KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

Aug 14, 2021
Media
Wayne, PA
Parrots

Hi,

Thanks for the pictures, they always help!

Judging from the pictures, they don´t look skinny, although this is really hard to say in birds. The best way to be sure of that is to scale their weight every week. Can you have access of scaling for 100 grams? You would be surprised how easy it is to scale their weight, just wrap tightly the bird in a piece of soft paper or a tissue and lay it down on the scale.

Something like this:

bt1v8l8y4wr41.jpg

Of course you have to weight the tissue first to subtract from the total weight.

Now, back to the skinny looks. Can you tell if the day you took that picture as a hot day? The general aspect of wings slightly apart from the body as showed by Kiwi (the green one) is characteristic of a hot budgie or a scared budgie.

If you are able to observe their weight is decreasing you must go to a veterinarian as quick as possible for further investigation. :)
I’m a bit more worried about the way Kiwi’s wings are flopping out. He also pants a lot and opens and closes his beak. My budgies aren’t very comfortable with me touching or holding them, they only let me feed them and they sit on my fingers or head sometimes.

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
The budgies should certainly be weighted, if possible. The very best an avian vet could be able to tell if they are possibly underweight by feeling their keel bone - if it is very protruding, they can be considered underweight.
I am worried about the drooped wings you mention. This kind of stance, with slightly opened wings and panting could be overheated, I've seen this happen in our budgie(s) after a lot of flight or freshly when we had to catch and hold for a while to cut the nails. If there was no physical activity, the room temp is in optimum, I really suggest a visit to the vet.
Another thing to check is their droppings, if they changed in colour, shape or consistency.

Budgies will have this extreme slim appearance when in fear, but when perching and very relaxed they appear normal. Or at least should.

Extreme hunger despite getting the usual amounts of food, and no change in activity is a valid reason to be worried. Bird loosing weight despite eating so much? Very possible, I had experience in such a case first hand.

One of our rescue budgies had this nasty bacteria called Macrorhabdus ornithogaster. Basically what it did is that it blocked the nutrients from being taken, so it was almost as if the bird didn't eat anything. Poor thing was eating all the time, and he was quite underweight. We were given a special medicine that I had to give daily, for 4 weeks. Tests from the drooping samples shown that he was cured.

I don't mean to scare, but surely if anyhow possible take their droppings to an avian vet for testing for any bacteria - or lack of good bacteria. Nevertheless they should go to an avian vet for a check up if they are panting even while resting. I hope they get well soon!!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Would you like some veterinary references?
Most of us swear by our avian vets in the event of health concerns.
Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
In my opinion, any of the vets listed here should be better than a regular vet.
International contacts, too.

I'm glad you're here.

9lhIlM0.jpg

OP
KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

Aug 14, 2021
Media
Wayne, PA
Parrots

The budgies should certainly be weighted, if possible. The very best an avian vet could be able to tell if they are possibly underweight by feeling their keel bone - if it is very protruding, they can be considered underweight.
I am worried about the drooped wings you mention. This kind of stance, with slightly opened wings and panting could be overheated, I've seen this happen in our budgie(s) after a lot of flight or freshly when we had to catch and hold for a while to cut the nails. If there was no physical activity, the room temp is in optimum, I really suggest a visit to the vet.
Another thing to check is their droppings, if they changed in colour, shape or consistency.

Budgies will have this extreme slim appearance when in fear, but when perching and very relaxed they appear normal. Or at least should.

Extreme hunger despite getting the usual amounts of food, and no change in activity is a valid reason to be worried. Bird loosing weight despite eating so much? Very possible, I had experience in such a case first hand.

One of our rescue budgies had this nasty bacteria called Macrorhabdus ornithogaster. Basically what it did is that it blocked the nutrients from being taken, so it was almost as if the bird didn't eat anything. Poor thing was eating all the time, and he was quite underweight. We were given a special medicine that I had to give daily, for 4 weeks. Tests from the drooping samples shown that he was cured.

I don't mean to scare, but surely if anyhow possible take their droppings to an avian vet for testing for any bacteria - or lack of good bacteria. Nevertheless they should go to an avian vet for a check up if they are panting even while resting. I hope they get well soon!!
Aaa oh shoot my parents refuse to let me bring them to the vet T-T they stopped doing it for a bit, and now only Kiwi is doing it

Most Reactions

Latest posts