My cinnamon conure was accidentally stepped on

MydearConure

Aug 2, 2019
Media
Florida
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Yesterday, my daughter was getting off the bed, and Ringo, my 8 yrs old conure, was below the bed. She accidentally stepped on him. My daughter said that she didn’t step on him with all her weight. She felt something soft as she put her feet down, but Ring seems to be hurt. No broken wings and he can fly and eat well. No internal bleeding (his poop is normal green/white color). He was in pain because he was closing his eyes and wanted to be cuddled. We kept him on a nest made of small towels so he can rest. However, we notice that his normal "scream" is not clear. It is weak and raspy like a little noise. I have been looking for an "avian veterinarian" in the local area that is none where I live; the closest one is 6 hours away. I have been giving him strawberry/watermelon smoothie for inflammation. Today, his voice is a little better, but not normal yet. Does anyone have a recommendation for a natural pain reliever for a bird?

I feel so bad and my daughter, too. We feel we have neglected him. Thanks God he did not die. We try to keep him safe, but he loves the freedom of being outside the cage. We have learned this lesson, and from now on we will avoid dangerous and potential accidents by 1. Keeping him in the cage when we are sleeping, cooking, cleaning, being busy. 2. Have the attention on him when he is outside the cage. 3. Set time to interact with him.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I know people use cayenne pepper as a natural pain reliever... however it's a far shot from proper veterinary care. Are there any general vets around you that you can see? It's not perfect but it's better than nothing.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Yesterday, my daughter was getting off the bed, and Ringo, my 8 yrs old conure, was below the bed. She accidentally stepped on him. My daughter said that she didn’t step on him with all her weight. She felt something soft as she put her feet down, but Ring seems to be hurt. No broken wings and he can fly and eat well. No internal bleeding (his poop is normal green/white color). He was in pain because he was closing his eyes and wanted to be cuddled. We kept him on a nest made of small towels so he can rest. However, we notice that his normal "scream" is not clear. It is weak and raspy like a little noise. I have been looking for an "avian veterinarian" in the local area that is none where I live; the closest one is 6 hours away. I have been giving him strawberry/watermelon smoothie for inflammation. Today, his voice is a little better, but not normal yet. Does anyone have a recommendation for a natural pain reliever for a bird?

I feel so bad and my daughter, too. We feel we have neglected him. Thanks God he did not die. We try to keep him safe, but he loves the freedom of being outside the cage. We have learned this lesson, and from now on we will avoid dangerous and potential accidents by 1. Keeping him in the cage when we are sleeping, cooking, cleaning, being busy. 2. Have the attention on him when he is outside the cage. 3. Set time to interact with him.
Ok, I had something similar, I shut Stormy in the door once. I would say go the the vet 6 hours away if he gets worse or stays the same. With Stormy, he was in pain and could only eat loose seed, but I made sure he was fed every day and he just got better within a couple days... well, maybe. He has a weird regurgitation thing and I suspect it may be from the accident. But it does not seems to cause him pain.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)

I also think it's worth getting your conure checked out by a vet if it's at all feasible. There may be damage to soft tissue or air sacs that may not be quite so easily apparent without a physical exam. Not sure if the vet you mentioned is on this list, but the resource below may be of assistance in locating an avian vet closer to you ...

Praying for all the best for your little one!! πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I reccomend this to everyone...

Next time you see your AVN ask for a prescription of Meloxicam Oral 0.5mg/ml In syringes of 0.5ml. Thats a budgie dose of bird asprin.

If a bird gets a hurt foot or whatever you can give them a pain killer. Use only once or twice a day.

If it's a bigger bird like a conure you can give two syringes.

EDIT the dose is 0.5ml

Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
This is how it comes....

Pop the cap put in birds beak and FIRE!... or dribble.
20230928_181836.jpg

Reccomend to EVERY OWNER.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
NOTE this is used on dogs and stuff too. So any vet or I presume doctor, if you ask, should be able to write you a prescription for this. Not just an AVN.

OP
MydearConure

MydearConure

Aug 2, 2019
Media
Florida
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Ok, I had something similar, I shut Stormy in the door once. I would say go the the vet 6 hours away if he gets worse or stays the same. With Stormy, he was in pain and could only eat loose seed, but I made sure he was fed every day and he just got better within a couple days... well, maybe. He has a weird regurgitation thing and I suspect it may be from the accident. But it does not seems to cause him pain.
Thank you for your reply. I am happy to tell you that I found a veterinary clinic 3 hours away from home in Tallahassee, Florida. I made an appointment for tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. They have doctors that treat exotic birds especially parrots.

OP
MydearConure

MydearConure

Aug 2, 2019
Media
Florida
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Thank you for your reply. I am happy to tell you that I found a veterinary clinic 3 hours away from home in Tallahassee, Florida. I made an appointment for tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. They have doctors that treat exotic birds especially parrots.
I also think it's worth getting your conure checked out by a vet if it's at all feasible. There may be damage to soft tissue or air sacs that may not be quite so easily apparent without a physical exam. Not sure if the vet you mentioned is on this list, but the resource below may be of assistance in locating an avian vet closer to you ...

Praying for all the best for your little one!! πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™
Thank you for replying and prayers. I found this place Paws and Claws in Tallahassee, Florida. Ringo has appointment tomorrow at 11:00 am.

OP
MydearConure

MydearConure

Aug 2, 2019
Media
Florida
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
I reccomend this to everyone...

Next time you see your AVN ask for a prescription of Meloxicam Oral 0.5mg/ml In syringes of 0.5ml. Thats a budgie dose of bird asprin.

If a bird gets a hurt foot or whatever you can give them a pain killer. Use only once or twice a day.

If it's a bigger bird like a conure you can give two syringes.

EDIT the dose is 0.5ml
Thank you Clark! I am taking a note with me of this medicine for the pain. My Ringo has an appointment tomorrow at 11 a.m. in Tallahassee, Florida.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Thank you for all the suggestions. I took Ringo to the veterinarian today and she prescribed the Meloxican Oral 0.5mg/ml por pain and inflammation.
Thats good. I'm glad to be of help.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Oh what was the GCC dose. I only got it for a budgie. So I will just have to guess at weight it a bigger bird is hurt. THe vet said she had to do some math to calculate dose on the budgie.

Most Reactions

Latest posts