My conure hates everyone

Dana

Jun 8, 2007
Palestine, TX
Parrots
Sun conure, military macaw
Except me. My boyfriend and I live together and she won't even allow him near me when I have her out. I usually end up getting bitten harder than normal and he's tried to work with her a little but gets discouraged when she flares up at him. I have a friend who isn't afraid of being bitten (he's the one who I got the macaw through, he's had a lot of big birds) and she runs from him when she realizes he's not impressed by her little beak. Is there any way to curb her rude behavior toward other people? I don't want this to be a repeat case with the macaw either, I like my ears and fingers the way they are lol

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
I took this from another forum from a guy who is just amazing with his birds and his training ... please follow these directions and you will have no problems what so ever.

"Disfavored Person Behavior Mods.
Put a training perch in a neutral room (a room that your bird is not or less familiar with)
Using the “step up” command have the preferred person take the bird from its cage and to the training perch
After the preferred person leaves that area (out of sight and no voice heard), have the less preferred person enter the area and sit and talk to the bird calmly
Be animated and expressive and use the bird’s name often.
Using the command “step up” in an assertive fashion, have the bird step up onto your hand
If successful, praise and compliment
If not successful, scowl and give a brief disapproving look and say it again and insist on the step up
Repeat for a minimum of ten minutes (make it as fun as possible, keep the energy level low if stressed)
End with a calm conversation using the bird’s name and lots of praise. At the end of the session, the favored person comes in and returns the bird to its cage and rewards it.

If the bird is not at all tame with the disfavored person, then do the basic taming and training exercises described in the birdbites protocol. Twice a day for two weeks should see marked improvement for most disfavored person behavior troubles."

(Thanks Mark!)

~ :50: Tex and the conure bunch (Hamlet and Mac)

P.S.
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

OP
Dana

Dana

Jun 8, 2007
Palestine, TX
Parrots
Thanks, sounds like a good idea, I'll have him try it when he's in the mood to befriend her again.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Great advice there, one thing I would change to start out with is cut the timing down, 10 mins is a long time for bird or human to be around each other if they really don't want to be. Also make sure your boyfriend is in the right frame of mind before getting with the bird, if he isn't the bird WILL pick up on it and that will be the end of that training session, with the bird winning, and you definately don't want that. :D Good luck to ya and let us know how the two of them are getting on.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
Yeah another conure person from Texas!!! I've been through Palestine quite alot :) Oh and Peta on my recent road trip I went through London Texas :) made me think of you I am currently in Arizona and looking forward to going to an AWSOME zoo and bird store I will post pics from the bird store if the people will let me take them

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
:D :D Look forward to seeing some pics (if they let ya take them) What you doing in Arizona girl anyway hope you have fun.:D :D

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
they did let me take pics and I got Sidney 5 toys for 30 bucks!!!!! I will post pics of them and as soon as I get home. I miss my little guy so much but mom lets me talk to him on the phone and I think they are spoiling him while I'm not there. Daisy is probably taking my absence the hardest as I'm the only person that she tolerates :) I will post pics as soon as I get home. I will fly out of Arizona on friday I have been visiting my grandparents. I HATE flying so we will see how it goes Dana, I'm sorry I've seemed to hijack your thread I will start my own very soon.

here are the toys I got :)

http://www.mybirdstore.com/STAR_BIRD-FOOT_BALL.html
http://www.pets-warehouse.com/Vpasp/shopexd.asp?id=99251
http://www.mybirdstore.com/MEDIUM_BIRD-A_LEARNING_GAME.html not exactly like this it has plastic chains hanging off of it but kinda like this
http://www.windycityparrot.com/Merc...01101&Category_Code=barbells&Product_Count=40
http://www.windycityparrot.com/Merc...01102&Category_Code=barbells&Product_Count=41

so that's my list - will show pics of Sidney playing with them I miss my little guy SOOO MUCH :(

OP
Dana

Dana

Jun 8, 2007
Palestine, TX
Parrots
That's ok, as I have MIRACULOUS news to share! I mentioned the tip about getting Lucy to take to DJ (the bird to the boyfriend lol) and today while I was at work she finally decided he's worthy :D He didn't even have to try, he just opened the cage and she came right out to him, no fuss at all. I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it myself just a few minutes ago. She sat on his shoulder and asked her trademark "What are you doin?" She still wanted me once she saw I was there (I hid in the kitchen doorway until he had her out) but I had the macaw and don't trust the two of them to be too near b/c of the size difference. She went right back into the cage just as easily as she does for me. Apparently he also decided to brave Scarlett's beak and get her out too. She took to me so fast I don't see any real preference issues with her though.

PS Where in Texas are you from? I'm amazed you have any idea where Palestine is...I've talked to people who've lived in TX their whole life and haven't heard of it. Also just another fun fact while I'm at it...I was born in Phoenix lol

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
... but I had the macaw and don't trust the two of them to be too near b/c of the size difference.

Dana, if you don't mind me asking ... you have only had Scarlett for about a week, right? Are you keeping her quarentined? Christy and I had to keep Mac away from Hamlet for 30 days (it was more like 15 or so) but Mac was checked out by our avain vet before we let them have any interaction. I would hate to hear about something happening to a sunny ... they are great birds.

Apparently he also decided to brave Scarlett's beak and get her out too. She took to me so fast I don't see any real preference issues with her though.

Hopefully your BF understands that there is this thing called a "macaw gene" you either have it or you don't, and the funny thing is, Big Macs know who has it, and who doesn't ... so don't let him get discouraged if he doesn't have it ...

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
ok so after looking at the map evidently there are two palestines :) lol (I guess texas is so big we had to name everything twice :)) are you the one kinda on the way to dallas or kinda below tyler? I really hate to reveal exactly where I live but I live in deep east texas close to the louisiana border no matter which palenstine you live in I've been through it! I used to live in B/C.S where texas ATM is

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Dana that is great news, I'm so pleased that Lucy has decided that DJ is worthy, it makes for a less stressful home life when everyone gets on. :D Just tell him to keep it up, and things should work out just great. :D

OP
Dana

Dana

Jun 8, 2007
Palestine, TX
Parrots
We'll see if DJ has the gene...the animals are pretty much my thing. Besides the 2 birds I also keep 2 pythons, a boa, 2 bearded dragons, a crested and a gargoyle gecko, a tarantula and 2 fish tanks. Everyone likes coming to our house lol. As to which Palestine I live in, I also live in east TX...an hour south of Tyler, an hour east of Corsicana and an hour west of Nacogdoches is what I tell people who have no idea where it is :p

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
We'll see if DJ has the gene...the animals are pretty much my thing. Besides the 2 birds I also keep 2 pythons, a boa, 2 bearded dragons, a crested and a gargoyle gecko, a tarantula and 2 fish tanks. Everyone likes coming to our house lol. As to which Palestine I live in, I also live in east TX...an hour south of Tyler, an hour east of Corsicana and an hour west of Nacogdoches is what I tell people who have no idea where it is

:eek: :eek: Aaaaarrrrrrrgh peta goes running to the hills, I have a fear of them, but would love to see pics of your "crested gargoyle gecko", but would love to see pics of all of them, (not so sure bout the two highlighted ones) :D I know I'm a wimp :D

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
General rule of thumb in my book - "if it has less than two legs, or more than four, I really want nothing to do with it."

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
I think my life would be easier without seeing a pic of the tarantula....but I'd love to see everything else

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
oooo snakes.... I had a ball python named fluffy :D
My gecko died of old age well not as old as they go, but he was blind and lived 9 years, I think thats pretty good.
hmmm, what else did I have... Oh! Chinese water dragon, but I got to stop with the impulse buys because it died shortly after I got him :( damn pet stores.
Had a hedgehog once too, adopted her when she was ...:confused: 3? I dont know how old they live for, think the book said 4-5 but she only lasted about a year more she had a horrible flea infestation, thats hard to get rid of on a prickly mammel LOL

anyways, dont listen to they, post ALL your babies up... no legged or more than 4, we... I want to see them all :p

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
Alright, I'll compromise..how about if you give us some warning that there will be a pic. of a tarantula in your post? "Nicole & Peta..don't look at this thread" would be a nice title for it. :D

Sorry, I just get all itchy and then I have to look at every little crack & crevice of my work area to make sure that it's spider free.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I had a ball python named fluffy

A python named fluffy, :rolleyes: Only you could have a python named fluffy. :D

Alright, I'll compromise..how about if you give us some warning that there will be a pic. of a tarantula in your post? "Nicole & Peta..don't look at this thread" would be a nice title for it. :D

Sorry, I just get all itchy and then I have to look at every little crack & crevice of my work area to make sure that it's spider free.

Sounds good to me. :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts