My Conure may not survive. Advice needed...

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
So glad Stitch is showing improvement and eating! Perhaps warmth and nutritional support the most effective tool at the moment.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Is this hole into the crop??? Is he leaking water from hole when he drinks water?,

OP
R

Rouya

Feb 24, 2021
The Gulf
Can you give water vegetables or low sugar fruit to reduce the need to drink actual water that may drip? You still need to provide water, but drinking may be less necessary if there is water in other food sources.

I have given this a go to no avail but will try again by smearing the fruit on my finger tips as @laurasea has recommended!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm happy to help!
Burds regurgitate to each other as food gifts. Its a lot like oatmeal, so rge generally will eat warm oatmeal. If yiu have access to pellets yiu can grind them into powder add a little water and mix with warm oatmeal, is a sneaky way to get pellets in them.

Fruits, deep rich colored berries, plums and cherries are good occasionally. More important would be some yellow bell pepper, as other t beta carotene or vitamin A and well liked usually. And some boiled egg. A bump in protein is need to heal. So egg is a good choice as has b vitamin and e vitamin , abd protein.

OP
R

Rouya

Feb 24, 2021
The Gulf
I'm happy to help!
Burds regurgitate to each other as food gifts. Its a lot like oatmeal, so rge generally will eat warm oatmeal. If yiu have access to pellets yiu can grind them into powder add a little water and mix with warm oatmeal, is a sneaky way to get pellets in them.

Fruits, deep rich colored berries, plums and cherries are good occasionally. More important would be some yellow bell pepper, as other t beta carotene or vitamin A and well liked usually. And some boiled egg. A bump in protein is need to heal. So egg is a good choice as has b vitamin and e vitamin , abd protein.

And off to the supermarket I go !

Although I have noticed improvements, Stitch is still slightly weak. I shall you keep informed.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
baby burd formula, is complete nutrition, if yiu can get her to eat it, in addition to what else she us eating. It also puts weight on thrm. I font know if you are tracking weight? It takes lots if calories to heal and fight infection. Twice their normal calories. Often even when eating they can't keep up. I experienced this with my sick conure. She ate and ate, but kept loosing. I did pull her through and seem to have made her fat now.

OP
R

Rouya

Feb 24, 2021
The Gulf
baby burd formula, is complete nutrition, if yiu can get her to eat it, in addition to what else she us eating. It also puts weight on thrm. I font know if you are tracking weight? It takes lots if calories to heal and fight infection. Twice their normal calories. Often even when eating they can't keep up. I experienced this with my sick conure. She ate and ate, but kept loosing. I did pull her through and seem to have made her fat now.

Hey there, Laura. Would a standard digital kitchen scale work? No way there's an avian scale where I am located.

I have been feeding her baby bird formula and will try to feed him more often now that you have mentioned this. I'm afraid he's not eating any of the fruits recommended.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Digital kitchen scale is what I use.

Its ok if he doesn't eat fruits.
O want a recovery !

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?

Hey there, Laura. Would a standard digital kitchen scale work? No way there's an avian scale where I am located.

I have been feeding her baby bird formula and will try to feed him more often now that you have mentioned this. I'm afraid he's not eating any of the fruits recommended.

It just needs to be a gram scale- you can take a chemistry/science scale (or digital kitchen in many cases) and convert it (you can add a perch as long as you allow any glue to dry and off-gas for sufficient time outside, or if you must, weigh in a towel or container and subtract the container weight after (knowing that toweling etc does not build trust).

OP
R

Rouya

Feb 24, 2021
The Gulf
Hey there fellow ornithophiles. A lot has happened since Wednesday. @Laurasea shortly after your comments I examined Stitch's chest after I had given him some yoghurt only to find out seconds later that there was more suturing to do since the yoghurt leaked from the wound! I immediately left work to go to the vet who sutured Stitch. Fortunately since then there has been no leaks. No watery feathers or anything of the sort.

This morning, however, he was a bit more lethargic than usual. I know it's still too soon. I fed him baby formula followed by yoghurt and he has returned to his usual eating habits.

He isn't calling out as usual when I step into the room and doesn't fly as far as he usually does. As I applied some antibiotics however he did give me a decent nip. I'm so confused.

I'll keep you informed.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

I hope Stitch does not have a systemic bacterial infection. I'd ask the vet if a round of antibiotics may be helpful. Problem is, without blood panel, impossible to know the specific organism(s) if any. Though, an educated guess may be possible based on type of wound.

OP
R

Rouya

Feb 24, 2021
The Gulf
I hope Stitch does not have a systemic bacterial infection. I'd ask the vet if a round of antibiotics may be helpful. Problem is, without blood panel, impossible to know the specific organism(s) if any. Though, an educated guess may be possible based on type of wound.

Hey there, Scott. I'm going to message the vet once I'm up in the morning. What are the signs/symptoms of systemic bacterial infection in birds?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
From what I have read. ...when a hike goes through the crop, they often have to remove a section of the bad tissue then re stich. This allows fresh healthy tissue to heal.
I'm a big fan of betadine. Betadine has helped many wounds i have treated. But those weren't infection through out the body.

He is a fighter . I hope you can get him on antibiotics and pull him through!!! You guys are in my prayers

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Hey there, Scott. I'm going to message the vet once I'm up in the morning. What are the signs/symptoms of systemic bacterial infection in birds?

Loss of appetite, weight loss, fluffing up to keep warm, green/yellowish droppings, lethargy, nasal or eye discharges, etc. My concern is that initial wound may have allowed bacteria/fungus to multiply inside the body and become systemic. I'm not a vet or tech, but improvement followed by worrisome symptoms is unsettling. A few links of interest:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/exot...als/pet-birds/bacterial-diseases-of-pet-birds
https://www.wedgewoodpharmacy.com/b...rial-and-fungal-skin-infections-in-birds.html
https://www.vetfolio.com/learn/arti...tations-bacterial-fungal-and-viral-infections

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Saudi is big into falcons, and they have vets fir them. Please search and reach out to falcons clubs.

Loosing weight can be a big deal with crop . Make baby burd formula thick like peanut butter when you feed.

Have you got your scale and weigh bird?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Ok. This is in your County, if far away msybe can direct you to closer help!

Souq Waqif Falcon Hospital
974 4414 5960

A big thing is crop has to sown up seperat then skin closed. Otherwise stuff can leak from crop under the skin and that a big problem. Crop wounds heal slowly. I read a chicken blog and tgey fixed chickens with crop wounds. Your guy can make it. But please feed only small amounts. The crop can't take any stress and stretching right now. Small amount, can do every 2 and half hours during the day, if he is processing the food. Let sleep at night don't disturb. I can only guess but I think 3ml is high end, 1-2ml thick like peanut butter at a time. Still with free choice of food fir him to choose if he wants to eat.

Keep watch on poops abd please describe or share pictures

Last edited:

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Laurasea I think you missed your calling as a vet! You should do a podcast if you ever have time!

Ok. This is in your County, if far away msybe can direct you to closer help!

Souq Waqif Falcon Hospital
974 4414 5960

A big thing is crop has to sown up seperat then skin closed. Otherwise stuff can leak from crop under the skin and that a big problem. Crop wounds heal slowly. I read a chicken blog and tgey fixed chickens with crop wounds. Your guy can make it. But please feed only small amounts. The crop can't take any stress and stretching right now. Small amount, can fo every 2 and half hours during the day, if he us processing the food. Let sleep at night don't disturb. I can only guess but I think 3ml is high end, 1-2ml thick like peanut butter at a time. Still with free choice of food fir him to choose if he wants to eat.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I never had time or money to become a vet. But I've been knee deep in animals since I was toddler. Grew up next to an old school horse breeder, who treated most things in old time ways...and i read a lot ! Lol as my MG keeps me stuck in a chair 90% of the time...this forum is enough for me! I feel deeply for each sick one here, I can't handle more stress
Nothing replaces needed antibiotics or antifungal. But anything alive wants to stay alive, and support care , and time , are very important!!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts