My Dear Poppy

Nadieb1930

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
2023 Parrot of the Year 🏆
May 19, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
I thought I would make this post for my beloved conure, Poppy. I may not have known her for very long, but we bonded so fast. She was my best friend and the heartbreak I feel right now is the worst I could ever imagine. The way it happened was just so horrible. My bedroom door was not shut all the way and my dog managed to push her way in and take Poppy out of her cage and kill her. My mom found her while I was at work on the floor covered in pellets and feathers.
I honestly don’t know how I can recover from this. She was the sweetest bird I’ve ever known. I did everything with her and now she’s gone. I still burst into tears every time I look over at her empty cage. I feel so guilty, angry, and sad all at the same time. I know I will always miss Poppy no matter what. I hope you’re flying in birdie heaven, Poppy. I love you so much
85AD2366-CCB3-4E7B-A41A-3CBFA29839FF.jpeg

Attachments

• 3838F8B6-6A9D-4C4C-8A89-D6AF235581E6.png
    3838F8B6-6A9D-4C4C-8A89-D6AF235581E6.png
    579.9 KB · Views: 76
  • E91BDC79-36E7-417E-B9C0-84D84D33C77A.jpeg
    E91BDC79-36E7-417E-B9C0-84D84D33C77A.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 78
  • E96B604E-B177-4601-B49C-A7224E052178.jpeg
    E96B604E-B177-4601-B49C-A7224E052178.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 79

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh no, I'm so very sorry to read this terrible news! Please accept my deepest and most sincere condolences on this awful, tragic loss, Nadieb, I cannot imagine the grief and shock that you must be feeling. It is SO hard not to blame ourselves when terrible things like this happen, but they can happen to even the most experienced and vigilant of us - I'm just so very sorry that it has happened to you and sweet little Poppy and my heart is breaking for you. I know the burden of guilt is hard to bear but please know that Poppy would not want you to blame yourself for this, she knew how much you loved her and that you never intended for this to happen.

I'm so dreadfully sorry for your loss, Nadieb, and I pray for your heart and your mind to find peace 🙏

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I thought I would make this post for my beloved conure, Poppy. I may not have known her for very long, but we bonded so fast. She was my best friend and the heartbreak I feel right now is the worst I could ever imagine. The way it happened was just so horrible. My bedroom door was not shut all the way and my dog managed to push her way in and take Poppy out of her cage and kill her. My mom found her while I was at work on the floor covered in pellets and feathers.
I honestly don’t know how I can recover from this. She was the sweetest bird I’ve ever known. I did everything with her and now she’s gone. I still burst into tears every time I look over at her empty cage. I feel so guilty, angry, and sad all at the same time. I know I will always miss Poppy no matter what. I hope you’re flying in birdie heaven, Poppy. I love you so muchView attachment 40300
I am so sorry for your loss. They make their way into our hearts so quickly. She sounds like she was a lovely bird. Rest in peace, Poppy.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I'm so sorry to hear this. Please accept my sincerest condolences. It's so hard to lose a feathered kid, and more so to a tragic accident. I hope you can find some comfort in knowing there are many of us here who truly understand the love we share with them, and the pain from their loss. Fly free, sweet Poppy. 💔

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm so very sorry for your loss of your sweeties new baby. They do steal our hearts on day one. She was beautiful and obviously adored you.

For future, if when you heal and feel you are ready. They do make a dog/toddler gate that fits in doorways and still allowed doors to open and close. It might add an extra layer of protection, I have found it beneficial.

freshprincess87

Dec 30, 2016
Australia
Parrots
8 little lovebirds
I am really sorry for your loss nadieb1930. I understand your pain as I'm going through it right now as I had a very similar thing happen to my three ducks. The worst part is the "how". I understand that you feel guilt, sadness and anger all at once. You are surrounded by people on this forum who understand your pain. I have found a lot of comfort on this forum, because no one else understands my pain like the people on here do. And I am trying to also pay forward the kindness to others when I have the chance to do so. Please remember that you are not alone.

Most Reactions

Latest posts