My Dog is scared to DEATH of my GCC

CoreyH

Mar 1, 2021
Good morning everyone! I am a new Green Cheek owner - I brought Yoyito home almost 2 weeks ago - the problem is.....as soon as I take the cover off of Yoyito's cage by 12 year old ****zu bolts out the back door - and STAYS outside all day long.

In the mornings she will go into the living room and search around the room - but, just like I said above she bolts when he wakes up. Also, if she does happen to come in and he makes ANY noise at all - there she goes again.

I know this is not as much about my conure as it is my dog - just curious if anyone else has experienced this and has any words of advice.

As for Yoyito - I have a few other posts - but, he is so beautiful and is starting to learn me and get use to my voice and whistle. :) :green2:

OP
C

CoreyH

Mar 1, 2021
Thanks for the reply. Awwhh - Yes, I do not want to endanger the bird by any means - and Yoyito is in his cage when she is around. Just makes me sad the way she looks at me and then heads outside.

I can't have her staying out in the cold all the time - she has been with me for 12 almost 13 years. :(

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
First of all don't listen to the people in the thread telling you it should be this way -- this is BAD advice and no dog or bird should live in fear in their own home, period! Telling someone to not have dogs or other animals with birds is just ignorant. If you take the proper precautions, it can be done.

It will take some desensitization and training with your dog to help it come to terms with its new housemate.

It will begin with having your bird CAGED and in the living room. You will have to work with your dog about being calm with the bird around, in its cage, so you will have to keep the attention on your dog during this time. It will be more training for the dog than the bird. It is also very important to train your bird to stay off the floor if the dog is in the house, so it doesn't get trampled and risks are kept low. No birds alking around on the ground and making noise means doggo can rest a bit easier and not be so startled. Having your bird in control either in its cage or on you as the dog is around will help both get used to each other.

The dog may feel scared of the bird being able to wander on tis own, and it really shouldn't be let to wander without supervision -- this is how a lot of free roam birds inject metal or things they shouldn't and end up in bad shape or it being fatal.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Advice? Keep it that way!

Agreed. A blessing, as long as it lasts.

Are you people serious? This is the best advice you can offer is to have the dog freeze in the cold outside?

You people should not post if you can't offer any actual useful advice. Absolutely fing ridiculous.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Per my CAV, the greatest number of Parrot injuries and deaths are caused by other pets, commonly dogs and cats.

You have full rights to your opinions and that is just as true for those who have a differing opinion!

WhiteFlight

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 20, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Parrots
Meisha: Umbrella Cockatoo | Female | 03/09/1989 Hatch Date
There are existing threads advising to keep the two separated.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi Corey. Welcome and be welcomed.

As you can tell, this is a hot button issue. VERY true, dogs and cats represent a big cause of death in companion parrots, so yeah extreme caution when the 2 are in the same room is warranted. Eyeballs on, is the rule, and remember it takes a split second for a dog or cat bite to occur.

I am more of the desensitization camp, which is the harder road to travel, but your doggie shouldn't be penalized due to the new parrot. My own Cairne terrier was almost the same about Salty. She very much dislikes him, but she will usually go to another room if he is out of his cage. She has to, because Salty will literally hunt her down and try to bite her if he finds her. Maybe you can let the pup into another room at first, then gradually desensitize him to your parrot.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Hello to you. I too am of the opinion that it is safer to keep them separate but to expect your poor dog to remain outside is just not on. While the parrot is caged I would suggest you simply bring the dog into the room even if you have to use a lead, and like any other new experience show him just what behaviour is acceptable with lots of calm praise when he ignores it and relaxes. I have had highly trained dogs all my adult life but even I would advise that the dog goes into another room rather than outside when the parrot is out. Although I was confident of the dog I didn't feel the same way about my GCC. Sudden quick movement and flying and even an attack on the dog could all lead to the worst outcome.
Syd twice landed on my last dog's back. It was totally unexpected (and stupid of me) and the dog behaved perfectly although obviously concerned at this new experience. He would leave the room as soon as I went to Syd's cage and would sit rather plaintively outside a glass door peering in. However with Syd caged life was normal for the dog. If you have both then there is a duty to manage it for both. Good luck and persevere.

OP
C

CoreyH

Mar 1, 2021
First of all don't listen to the people in the thread telling you it should be this way -- this is BAD advice and no dog or bird should live in fear in their own home, period! Telling someone to not have dogs or other animals with birds is just ignorant. If you take the proper precautions, it can be done.

It will take some desensitization and training with your dog to help it come to terms with its new housemate.

It will begin with having your bird CAGED and in the living room. You will have to work with your dog about being calm with the bird around, in its cage, so you will have to keep the attention on your dog during this time. It will be more training for the dog than the bird. It is also very important to train your bird to stay off the floor if the dog is in the house, so it doesn't get trampled and risks are kept low. No birds alking around on the ground and making noise means doggo can rest a bit easier and not be so startled. Having your bird in control either in its cage or on you as the dog is around will help both get used to each other.

The dog may feel scared of the bird being able to wander on tis own, and it really shouldn't be let to wander without supervision -- this is how a lot of free roam birds inject metal or things they shouldn't and end up in bad shape or it being fatal.

Thank you kindly for your reply! My dog has been a part of my life for so long that it just breaks my heart. She has a doggy door so I have tried to get her to go into my room but she prefers going on the porch. I live in South Texas so it is at least warming up not - but, all too soon it will be TOO hot for her to be outside during the day - for any length of stay.

Anyhow, in the evening I do go to my room and get on the bed and wait for her - she will come in and out a few times then finally stay - but, of course I have to work and can't live in my bed all the time.

In the mornings she goes into the living room and looks around - I have started taking her morning treat with me to the living room as I take the cover off of Yoyito - she will stay as long as I have her boiled chicken in hand. So hopefully that will start associating good things with Yoyito's presence rather than the negative.

And yes, Yoyito is slowly getting use to me as well so I have not really given him out of cage time yet - the day he came home he jumped from my hand and of course it startled us all - but he sure loves to take the Millet from me. I can get him to follow me in the cage and if I put my hand in the cage with the Millet he will take it - but goes to another perch or shimmies to the left or right from me. But, I am going to win him over! Sorry, I digress from the topic at hand...

My dog is small and very gentle - I would never let her and the bird be alone (uncaged) of course. Hopefully she does start to accept he is staying for the long run - I hope.

Again, thank you for the kind reply. I will just keep trying to utilize positive reinforcement for Bella (my dog) and pray for the best.

OP
C

CoreyH

Mar 1, 2021
I am learning my way around the forum so forgive me if I post twice.

Thank you to those offering me advice on what to do. I absolutely do not want my dog (Bella - sweet baby girl who is 12) outside all the time. Especially with summer and 100+ temps will come soon here in South Texas - thank goodness the cold is mostly gone for her.

Bella is fine coming into the living room when the cover is still on - she even goes willingly (and likes to watch me cover him at his bedtime). so I have started giving her morning treat in the living room rather than the kitchen and I give the treat take the cover off give more of the treat....etc. But as soon as the treat is done tail tucked and out the doggy door she goes.

Just breaks my heart - she has been with me so long and I just don't want this to make her miserable.

Thank you all again for the kind posts.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your menagerie!

I believe there can be compromise to protect both Yoyito and Bella! Kudos for respecting the needs of your dog - so many folks simply displace one companion animal with another. The arrival of Yoyito brings opportunity for gradual desensitization without placing him at risk. Have you determined precisely what frightens Bella? Is it simply the appearance of a bird, noise, possibly an element of jealousy?

OP
C

CoreyH

Mar 1, 2021
I think mostly the noise - I had to go out for groceries and when I got back home she met me at the door as normal. I had picked me up something to eat....and so of course she wanted a French fry or two and stayed inside with me the whole time....then I sat down and she was relaxing in the house on the floor....Yoyito made a noise - and up and boom there she went back outside. And just now she stuck her head in I said "come in Bella Bella" and she just pulled her head back outside.

Jealous....she has never been too much of the jealous type of dog. She loves everyone and even if I am petting another dog she's like alright whatever doesn't bother me. So, I guess we will see how it all goes. Thank you all!

Gemster

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 4, 2019
Media
Parrots
Valentine-budgie (M),
Daphne-budgie (F)
Rip-Sky
Rip-Bell
To make sure you are counter conditioning Bella to Yoyito, don’t present the treat until the bird is uncovered. If the dog knows the treat is coming, you’ll be counter conditioning her to you reaching for the treat. Reward every time Bella sees/hears your conure.

Once you have counter conditioned this and Bella is comfortable in Yoyito’s presence, you can train impulse control - using Progressive Reinforcement is the best method as it will make training fun and Bella will be more likely to want to listen to what you cue. (Some of the most important cues: leave it [not in a threatening manner]; the calm settle; come away from distractions; building attention games etc.

You can throw the boiled chicken in different directions and create a fun game. Although, try not to throw the chicken near the bird. Your dog may be hyper-focused on the treat when she is chasing the treat, but then realise she is near your conure and that may make this worse.

Last edited:
OP
C

CoreyH

Mar 1, 2021
Yes - first thing in the morning I still do our normal routine as it has always been - and the last two mornings she has gone into the living room by herself to sniff around the cage so that was a positive. Then I have taken the cover off the cage and given it to her and I will talk to Yoyito then give her some more. As of this morning she went back outside....but, has been inside a little bit more today. She is actually next to me on the couch right now - so mayyyyybeeeee it will work out I sure hope. :)

Then yes - we will start working with other areas for her and Yoyito.

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.

I am of the firm opinion that predatory mammalian pets- ie. Ferrets, Cats, Rats, Dogs and even Mice should not be in the same household as Companion Parrots. Here too it is a clear NO for Ferrets, Cats, Rats, and Mice but with Dogs , it depends on breed, individual owner etc but I would still say why risk it .

Now I know it is easy to get emotional. But hear out my different objective perspective from a philosophical level.

The Green Cheeked Conure is a unique species that is found in the wild only in small corner in interior South America mostly in Argentina but may be bleeding into some neighbouring countries. So it is a very unique species.

On the other hand the Dog is found in billions in every city, village and town in every country and continent in the world . So as a species the GCC is definitely more precious than a Dog.

And even as and individual, just look at those eyes, feathers and beak and you will know which animal should be given more priority.

Again want to emphasise Predatory mammals will always be a threat to a Parrot's life. All it takes is 20 seconds or so.

warm regards

Avin
:yellow1::yellow1::yellow1:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels

I am of the firm opinion that predatory mammalian pets- ie. Ferrets, Cats, Rats, Dogs and even Mice should not be in the same household as Companion Parrots. Here too it is a clear NO for Ferrets, Cats, Rats, and Mice but with Dogs , it depends on breed, individual owner etc but I would still say why risk it .

Now I know it is easy to get emotional. But hear out my different objective perspective from a philosophical level.

The Green Cheeked Conure is a unique species that is found in the wild only in small corner in interior South America mostly in Argentina but may be bleeding into some neighbouring countries. So it is a very unique species.

On the other hand the Dog is found in billions in every city, village and town in every country and continent in the world . So as a species the GCC is definitely more precious than a Dog.

And even as and individual, just look at those eyes, feathers and beak and you will know which animal should be given more priority.

Again want to emphasise Predatory mammals will always be a threat to a Parrot's life. All it takes is 20 seconds or so.

warm regards

Avin
:yellow1::yellow1::yellow1:

You are entitled to your own opinion, but that opinion is NOT GOING TO WORK FOR THIS PERSON. Therefore, your advice is NOT helpful nor NECESSARY in this situation.

They are NOT giving up their beloved animal, so to the several people replying with a response that's 'no birds should be with dogs' or 'leave the dog outside it should be that way ' are ignorant and are missing the point of this thread. Put your beliefs aside and let's HELP THIS PERSON without telling them to rehome their dog or let it die!

Last edited by a moderator:

Most Reactions

Latest posts