Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
This thread is moving away from the OP's request for help, and it's time to get it back on track.
Many of us who have birds also have dogs and/or cats, and have figured out how to make it work for all species in the household. CoreyH, it sounds like you are making progress already. I think that it just may take some time for your dog to get used to Yoyito. My chihuahua was terrified of my finches at first, he shook any time he had to walk past their room. After a couple of months he completely ignored them, and would sit in my lap when I was in their room.

When you have multiple species, vigilance is key to prevent a tragedy.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
This thread is moving away from the OP's request for help, and it's time to get it back on track.
Many of us who have birds also have dogs and/or cats, and have figured out how to make it work for all species in the household. CoreyH, it sounds like you are making progress already. I think that it just may take some time for your dog to get used to Yoyito. My chihuahua was terrified of my finches at first, he shook any time he had to walk past their room. After a couple of months he completely ignored them, and would sit in my lap when I was in their room.

When you have multiple species, vigilance is key to prevent a tragedy.

Couldn't agree more thank you.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I have dogs and birds.
The dogs are trained to leave it, to wait, to bsck off. Im diligent to keep everyone apart. And I never trust them .

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I've long had birds and dogs together with one tragic incident that occurred when I was away from home. Bottom line is thorough segregation with simple, foolproof methods that are easily repeatable day after day...

We're only human and capable of mistakes. Anything complex will eventually become compromised and at that chance moment one has to hope dog and bird have no interest in mischief.

I begin with dog breeds that are known to be low-prey. Not an absolute and plenty of variation by individuals. Have had many Great Danes with no aggression. My current Schnauzer and Brussels Griffon show zero interest. All of my birds are flighted so they at least have the chance of escape should the worst occur. Whenever closing a cage door or food/water/treat compartments, always visually check and give the door a tug or two to verify.

A minor point about feeding dogs... They receive 2 small meals and 2 mini snacks daily. That way they are most always never famished and less likely to search for opportunistic prey.

Tman

Jan 3, 2021
Las Vegas Nv.
Parrots
Galah. Axel
Rescued budgie Anna RIP
I decided to go over something with you to see if this my help you.
You've have had the parrot for a short time. The parrot is trying to get used to you and everything around him. Your dog sees this new loud creature as an intruder. Yes she runs away, but she still feels he is in her space.
Now you want her to get use to the parrot and the parrot to get use to her. You may not realize they both are upset about the situation right now.
Try this get some treats for the dog and the parrot make sure the treats are small for both of them. Sit by the parrots cage give your parrot a treat. Call the dog over give the dog a treat. If you have to keep the cage covered, just leave a little flap up on the front for giving treats. See if your dog will come over with just a flap up.
Relax talk to both of them and see if they will sit by you.
Parrot in his dog on the side of you away from the cage.
The reason for this is so that the dog gets use to the parrot in the cage and same for the parrot gets used to the dog. Them the dog gets use to the parrot the more the dog will not pay the parrot that much attention.
I have my dog English bulldog I have my parrot. The dog will go up to the parrots cage. And just walk by. The parrot pays him no mind.
Side note. You say the parrot screams it could be the dog.
Just work on getting them use each other and see how that goes. Also as the dog stays by you eating treats slowly lift up the cover more and more so that it can come off and she is still there.
If you have more questions ask and I will try and help.

Tman

Jan 3, 2021
Las Vegas Nv.
Parrots
Galah. Axel
Rescued budgie Anna RIP
Sorry I have more to add. When you work with your parrot, weather inside the cage or out, you want the dog not to be around. If you can take your parrots cage in your bedroom while you train him so it will be just the two of you. Then after training take him back out to the livingroom. Also spend a little extra time loving on the old gal, so she doesn't feel left out.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hi there, I hope I can help here. I have 2 dogs, a conure, and an Ekkie. My conure is a bully bird, and will dive at my dogs (it’s part of a birds nature to dive at threats to scare them away). I did struggle with this years ago. What I did was put my conure on my shoulder, and she burrowed into it. I only did this only when my dogs were calm usually in the evening. Eventually things got better. It took a lot of time. I never have, and never will leave my birds, and dogs out together without me present. I have my birds on my person so I can control the situation. My conure puffs up when she is threatened, she tends to hiss. Her body language is very readable. Always try to look for these signs to prevent an accident. If I’m doing dishes my conure will sit on my shoulder because she’ll watch me do the dishes instead of focusing in on my dogs, and this allows her to be distracted but in the same room as my dogs. I hope something in here will help you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts