My dream bird chose his mate... Three's a crowd?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Sometimes I go up to Raven and ask him, "Are you the Bronze Winged Pionus I've always wanted?" He stares back at me with the cutest big dark pools for eyes with big pink eye rings... When he's not posturing at me to get away!

Maybe 25 years ago I saw a picture of a Bronze Winged Pionus in my book that showed just about every parrot species known to man. Something about the unusual coloration of the BWP struck me, and little did I know, that intrigue would stay with me...

In about 2005, I got a female BWP. My "dream bird", but she passed away at about a year old. I've had other species, but I found that I just couldn't forget about having a BWP, so again in 2013 after a rather difficult search having learned that many breeders had stopped breeding the species (I don't know exactly why... I think they're a little harder to breed than other Pionus, plus lack of demand)?

I was determined to find my "dream bird" once again. I said I needed my Bronze Winged Pionus. I want a male, and I will name him Raven...

He came home in January 2014 at 4 1/2 months old. :) He was shipped to me by a wonderful breeder in Indiana, so I didn't meet him. Only in pictures. I don't think he was ever crazy about me.

Over the next year, he made it clear that Don was HIS chosen person. But although he loves Raven, Don is not his owner OR caretaker! Don can just grab him out of the cage (not even stepping up, just grab him like a chicken) hold him in both hands and cuddle and snuggle him close. He will lay on his back in Don's hand.. He even got a harness on Raven, which is nothing short of amazing to me. Even more shocking, Don can restrain Raven WITHOUT a towel and still NOT get bit while I groom him! :eek: Raven can be really cranky and showing hormonal behaviors, and no matter what he will NOT bite Don!! What the heck?!

To me, Raven is a typical "hands off" male Pionus, who only wants to do things on his terms. I have to bribe him every night to step up to go in to bed. At best, he likes me to stand near him and "talk" with him. He will occasionally agree to hang out on my arm along with his friend Griffin. At worst, Raven is territorial toward me for everything. When I approach, he will often flare up his head, fan his tail, and mimic high pitched coughing and say "vegetable, vegetable". Believe it or not, that is what he says when he's threatening and chasing off either me or Griffin. He never says "vegetable" at any other time except when he's threatening. LOL it's hilarious. Sometimes I won't even notice a warning before he bites me.

I'm wondering since Raven has made it clear that he likes Don better, if that means he's chosen him as his "mate" and I'm seen as the unwelcome third wheel? But he even displays at me when Don is not around.

Pionus have similar ways to Amazons. I'm also wondering that once he gets a grip on his hormones (once it's only contained to breeding season a couple months of the year), that the rest of the year he'll stop being so territorial against me? I LOVE my "dream bird", I do occasionally see his sweet, cute side, but I wish he loved me too.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Aw, Julie! I feel your pain! Dommie's exactly the same with me. Have you tried bribing Raven with treats? Every now and again, I'll just sit and hold Dom and shovel tidbits into him. He likes dry ramen noodles, so I'll break a bit of that into lots of tiny worms and just feed 'em to Dom. Kim has no interest in spending time with Dom (although he loves him in return for his blind adoration), so I'm the only one who gives food treats and scritches. It hasn't seduced Dom to see me as his favourite, but at least he tolerates me a bit better.

With the Beakies, I use treat time as a chance to touch them. I'll hold a sunflower seed in one hand and whichever Beak I'm working with has to wrestle it from my grasp while I gently stroke his/her head. This is slo-oo-owly allowing me to actually pet them very occasionally. It's the price they have to pay for sweeties, right?

Have you considered getting a female BWP for Raven (and yourself)? I know many, many people disagree, but I reckon Barney and Madge are much happier as a couple than they would have been as singletons. I honestly see no difference in the way they relate to me: they're equally affectionate to me and both want nothing more than to be on my person at every available opportunity. They certainly have a bond of their own, because Madge pined and pined while Barney was missing. The very moment he was put back in the cage, she came to life squawking and bellowing 'Hello! Hello! HELLO!' She hasn't shut up since, either. LOL! It could be that, if he had a mate, Raven would have a focus for his hormonal feelings and, perhaps, mellow out with you? If not, at the very least you'd have another BWP, which can only be good, right? :) Anyway, just a suggestion. It's hard when they don't show their love for you, but remember: it's there!

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Thanks Trish for the words of encouragement! Yes I bribe him with treats :) that's actually the only way he'll step up for me.. about 98% of the time he needs a treat or he's not doing it! I also love to give Raven and the guys their Nutriberries or almonds for snacks in the evenings. I love to see them holding food in their little hands lol!

If he never gets any closer with me, I'll accept it (as I already have), I'm just thinking it would be 'nice' if he did.

As for a friend of Raven's own kind, well... as much as I'd love to, I just can't do it right now as long as Don and I are taking care of my dad. When the situation becomes different I'd at least like to get another budgie for Twigs, as I feel that for budgies it's really ideal that they have a friend of their own kind. I kind of feel sorry for him right now. He's desperate for friends, and the parrots are so much bigger and usually just chase him away.

Raven is actually pretty closely bonded with Griffin the Ruppell's parrot. He tries to feed him and 'everything' :eek:. I think that down the road IF I got another parrot, it would be for me not Raven, another Poicephalus species. ;)

HOW do you keep the Beaks without them breeding like mad?!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Well, they're only just three: the same age as Fargo, roughly. When Barney came home from his wanderings, his neck ring was just about complete, so they're only just sexually mature. They don't have anything in their cage that could be construed as a nest-box, so I guess that's the dampener. :D I s'pose they could possibly use their rummage basket, but that's a wire plant hanger: too many holes! LOL!

On the day when we picked Barney up from the nice lady (Sam), she let me hold one of her baby IRNs. It was SO gorgeous! The kids and I are tossing up whether we might allow Barn and Madge to have just one clutch next year or the year after. We'll see how things are then, I guess. We're all keen on the idea of having a couple of little Barnitos and Madgettes to raise, but whether we know enough yet? Well, we'll see... :)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
It's just wrong, when a dream bird chooses someone other than the dreamer to be his or her first love. Seems only fair they would choose the primary caregiver, and if not that, then the person with the bribes. I cracked up reading about Raven yelling, 'vegetable, vegetable' at you. So strange that their behavior can vary so much with different people. Sounds like Don would have trouble making Raven bite him, and he holds Raven like a chicken, that's just showing off.

Julie, I do hope you get an opportunity to find a friend for Twigs soon.

Oh Trish, a clutch of baby Madgettes and Barnitos, that's too sweet for words! Not trying to influence you, of course.

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Thanks Allee. It's true, Don would have trouble MAKING Raven bite him even when hormonal! I'm assuming it's all because Raven looks at Don as his mate, and I guess they're not one of the species that attacks mates... intruders, yes!

I do still laugh when he says "vegetable". At first it was just a word, then... somehow he chose that word as his fighting words lol!! I wonder how/why?! LOL! Now, that's the only time he says it. I have to watch my fingers and back off when he says "vegetable" : D

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
OMG! I know this isn't helpful, but I'm over here just giggling with tears streaming down my face picturing Raven calling you "Vegetable, vegetable" right before he attacks. I wonder if he relates you to veggies or wants to make you one. That is so funny!

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
LOL, Raven has turned "vegetable" into a profanity, hilarious.

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I know!! I agree it's the funniest thing ever! Even though I hear it all the time, it still amuses me. He also has the FUNNIEST tone of voice. It makes me laugh when Raven says just about anything because his voice is just so funny. I can't describe it. I've tried and tried to get him on video when he's talking, but he always stops. One day I'll catch it and record it for everyone to hear! :D

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
Awww, that stinks. I feel for you and I think I see the beginnings of that here as well. For months all I could think about was getting a greenwing, and now that I have one my husband is sweet talking his way into her heart at an alarming rate while I'm busy cleaning up poop and chew debris! It's not fair is it? Anytime I reach anywhere near her I get the beak, meanwhile he was stroking the the beak through the bars today without even a hint of aggression! If that was me I'd probably be missing a finger :(

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Oh Julie. I think that Raven is just making you work extra hard to earn his love and trust. He's testing you because he knows you won't give up on him. Just keep working with him and give him (lots) of time. Perhaps doing some more regimented training would be appropriate, like step up drills and some trick training to reinforce obedience and build trust?

Not that I would have any experience with such a bird, of course:54::green:

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Awww, that stinks. I feel for you and I think I see the beginnings of that here as well. For months all I could think about was getting a greenwing, and now that I have one my husband is sweet talking his way into her heart at an alarming rate while I'm busy cleaning up poop and chew debris! It's not fair is it? Anytime I reach anywhere near her I get the beak, meanwhile he was stroking the the beak through the bars today without even a hint of aggression! If that was me I'd probably be missing a finger :(

Well, I don't know Macaws first hand, but I THINK they're typically a species that can be persuaded to love both of you especially from a young age, no? Just wait til Sailor settles in, and I bet you'll have a real cuddle monster on your hands!

Raven is one of the species that is a little more "particular" about just who they like, love, and dislike. My 2 Poicephalus are different... Poi's tend to bond with the one who shows they are their caregiver and person. Obviously Pionus are different. Much different temperament.

Oh Julie. I think that Raven is just making you work extra hard to earn his love and trust. He's testing you because he knows you won't give up on him. Just keep working with him and give him (lots) of time. Perhaps doing some more regimented training would be appropriate, like step up drills and some trick training to reinforce obedience and build trust?

Not that I would have any experience with such a bird, of course:54::green:

No, I know you don't have experience with that April, as Kiwi was ALWAYS such an easy and tame bird! LOL! Really, I completely admire how you worked with a VERY difficult bird, and it took YEARS. Not months, but YEARS... Never giving up. Ever. I won't ever stop loving and working with Raven, and hopefully he will eventually accept me more and more as Kiwi has done with you (even though he likes Joe more ;)) I'm thinking positively too, that once he gets over the worst hormone years (it's probably starting to be at it's height at about 3-5?) he might start settling down when he's older, like Robin did.

Problem with Raven is that he does "trust" me... The reason he won't step up, or do whatever without a treat bribe is that he is TESTING me. He's messing with me on purpose. I can even tell by his facial expression. Funny, parrots don't really have much of a facial expression, but you know... we parronts can tell ;). What would you suggest when you know they're just testing you, and not doing something purposely to challenge you? Reminds me of a small human boy! Since they're so similar to Amazons, I'd imagine what strategies work for them might work for Pionus. They're not as extroverted as zons, but otherwise very similar (especially the males). I've never had a bird with quite this much stubbornness as Raven!

Last edited:

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I hope you're happy. Went to church today and the preacher was talking about gardens and vegetables and all I could think of was Raven and his vegetable vegetable. I had a hard time not cracking up :)

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I hope you're happy. Went to church today and the preacher was talking about gardens and vegetables and all I could think of was Raven and his vegetable vegetable. I had a hard time not cracking up :)

Hahaha yes Karen it does make me happy to hear that ROTFL! :D

I do have to catch a recording of him saying it with his hilarious sounding voice.

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
Ugh I feel your pain! Mine is reverse, my sennie is clingy to me but I want him to like my S.O. too. He always gets excited when he comes in the room and he dances for him! But he will try to bite if he goes near him. I think he is still hesitant. I wish they weren't so attached to just one person! Lol sigh.....

Most Reactions

Latest posts