You want WHAT?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
The last couple of months have been utter chaos, and in the shuffle, not everybody got the love they deserve, especially Mel since she isn't allowed to bite, I mean meet the guests. So today, after rigging a new bird set up in them aim area, she has been out with me all day and she is being exceptionally vocal. Pretty soon after we got her, she started saying "good morning" and would very occasionally say "scritches." Well just now I left the room while she was on the parrot tree, only to hear her asking my 7 year old babysitting client "whacha doin?". The girl is weird; she doesn't like animals, and she didn't notice, or care when I pointed it out to her. Oh well. Anyway, I was going to be in the office longer than I thought, so I broug Mel back here to search the web with me (she thinks my new finches will be great; she told me so!). And she is CHATTERING! I'm trying to decipher it, there is one phrase she keeps repeating, I think it is a question, and when I try to repeat it back to her, she says in the sweetest, softests high voice sounding all shy, "yeah." I thought she was saying "do you wanna take a shower?" But then i tried to give her one and she was not pleased. At one point I thought it was "do you want a piece of popcorn?" Now I'm pretty certain she is shushing the budgies who are singing away in the other room, she is very deliberately shushing someone, and I'm not talking, so... She has also now come out with "ok" and "good boy" and "pretty bird" and some other often repeated mystery sounds.
We are also having probably our snuggliest day yet, which is not that snugly; she is a Pionus after all, and an abused one at that! But still progress. I'm enjoying our rainy day! Three little girls taking naps, budgies singing, and Mel chatting up a storm :)

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Aww, gotta love the undecipherable chattering! You'll figure out what she's trying to say eventually!

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I'm now wondering if it WAS "do you want to take a shower" but I had just misted her, so maybe she was just informing me that she was wet lol.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Sounds like a very nice afternoon, Dani! My Harry would sympathize with your Mel, she doesn't get to greet guests the way she'd really like to. I love the gibberish, it often leads to decipherable words.

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
Bird prattle cracks me up. My conure gets so angry when my husband approaches that he'll grumble talk on my shoulder any time my husband is too near me.

Please keep us posted on any new chatter or words, I love hearing about this.

Most Reactions

Latest posts