My dreams of an aviary have been crushed

kme3388

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 17, 2021
Messages
2,126
Reaction score
5,659
Location
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Sun Conure: Charlie (male)
B&G Macaw: Blue (male)
My macaw has decided that he wants to eliminate my sun conure. He’s been stalking my sun conure, and my macaw is also an escape artist. I didn’t have a choice but to remove my sun conure from the aviary. My macaw was fixated on this situation. It’s a harder thing for me to accept because an eagle or hawk is killing for food. My macaw is doing it to eliminate. I wasn’t really expecting this, and I’m a little heartbroken. We educate people how parrots are prey birds yet I’m in this situation. Not to mention my macaw was climbing to curtains rods for higher ground for a calculated attack. You don’t exactly read about these situations because everything suggests that all parrots are prey birds. Not birds who are capable of stalking, and apex tendencies. I’m still in shock.
 
Yikes! Glad everyone is okay!
 
I was aware of that tendency but not AWARE of it. I've watched Nameliss set food traps for the dogs and cats. She's so sneaky and cautious on how she approaches. I can imagine a fixated macaw is worse. I am glad everyone is alright
 
I don’t even know how to begin to fix this. I’ve never had my mac out with my conure. He’s going to attack when my conure is in his cage eating.
 
  • Wow
Reactions: AMD
Can you have a video chat somewhere with a mac specialist? Yours started this when horror-mones took control. They may suggest an OTC calming agent. There are too many on the market to choose from. You don't want a hit and miss situation. Last year when Nameliss was going ballistic mine prescribed something for her and me. He gave several brands he had experience with for her weight. She was atypically aggressive. I didn't use either. I toughed it out. I only had to isolate myself and the dogs. Although my service dog has never learned in nearly 10 years to keep his hairy tail out of reach. He couldn't understand why he couldn't lie by her cage. It sounds like you've tried everything passive. Only a suggestion to consider. Unless you can find a hard wood so strong Superman can't break or bend to surround your little one.
 
Can you have a video chat somewhere with a mac specialist? Yours started this when horror-mones took control. They may suggest an OTC calming agent. There are too many on the market to choose from. You don't want a hit and miss situation. Last year when Nameliss was going ballistic mine prescribed something for her and me. He gave several brands he had experience with for her weight. She was atypically aggressive. I didn't use either. I toughed it out. I only had to isolate myself and the dogs. Although my service dog has never learned in nearly 10 years to keep his hairy tail out of reach. He couldn't understand why he couldn't lie by her cage. It sounds like you've tried everything passive. Only a suggestion to consider. Unless you can find a hard wood so strong Superman can't break or bend to surround your little one.
It’s so confusing, frustrating, and sad for me. Blue is incredible to me. He steps up, asks for kisses, enjoys his head scratches. Even when hormonal he’s sweet to me. Then turns aggressive towards everything, and anyone else. I don’t usually handle him when he’s hormonal during the day. I wait until the evening when he’s tired, and not so amped up. He’s just fine with my Ekkie. In fact they teamed up on biting their cage bars toward my sun conure. I was hoping it was just a faze. When my sun conure started never perching, and latching on to cage bars even at night when he should be sleeping I realized he’s in a very alert stage. Probably very much scared for his life. He also started screaming from sun up to sun down. I’m sure he was scared for his life. I’ve just been replaying the entire situation, and feeling like I missed something.
 
Odd thought but could your Ekkie be helping encourage the behavior? I get weird thoughts. I went back to your post and thought "birds of a feather team up together". They could be encouraging each other. It may give you a different angle to consider.
 
It sounds as though for whatever reason, your macaw sees the conure as a threat. There could be many reasons for that. I am so sorry that you are going thru this. Hopefully someone with more macaw experience can give you some advice.
 
I was informed it’s very macaw to behave that way and we may never truly understand the reasons. There are natural pecking orders, and a lot of this would be considered a natural instinct that Blue cannot help. I was informed to keep my sun conure separate if possible. Yes, macaws will kill smaller parrots rather it’s from territorial behavior, or resource management the outcome will not be good for my conure either way. It’s all dependent on the macaw and what they will tolerate.
 
I’m so glad you realized the seriousness of the situation before any harm befell your conure. Things can happen so fast with animals but clearly you noted behavior changes in both birds and took action before anybody got hurt. Keeping essentially wild animals in our homes certainly comes with a different set of challenges. I know this must be tough on you since we always just want our animals to be happy and get along. I hope you and Blue can work through this and things settle down! ā¤ļø
 
I should have went with chickens. Parrots are dramatic. I feel like I’m watching The Young And The Restless šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ā€¦ one day we like each other, the next someone looked at someone wrong šŸ˜‘
 
I should have went with chickens. Parrots are dramatic. I feel like I’m watching The Young And The Restless šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ā€¦ one day we like each other, the next someone looked at someone wrong šŸ˜‘
Hate to break it to you but chickens are the same way, lol šŸ˜‚. And if they see blood they’re like sharks 😬 They are the definition of ā€œpecking order!ā€
 

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom