My eclectus is making a call she doesn't ususally, any insight?

Autistic Aussie

Oct 31, 2021
Parrots
Eclectus
My/my mum's Eclectus is a 9 year old female who we hand raised from quite young; she didn't eve have all her feathers yet. And I've been looking after her for the last couple of week while my mum's been away. These last few days she's been making noises that remind me quite a bit of the calls she made as a baby, and I'd really appreciate any insight into what it means.
clip of noise

Last edited:

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Definitely add a video, so we can know what call she is making and tell you what it means. Depending on what noise she is making, she could be sick or hormonal, or maybe something else. Give more information, so we can give you the advice you need :)

baltokarhu

Nov 25, 2021
Media
Finland Helsinki
Parrots
eclectus
Hello! I have similiar situation. My young eclectus is 1 year old. She came when she was about 4 month old. Healthy, happy, very chatty and good talker. Over the next few days, in the evenings as we practice tricks, suddenly Pegi (her name) runs under a closet or hides behind a piece of furniture and starts to make this very strange and new sound. At first I thought she has difficult to breathe. But when I call her, she will look at me and will gladly come to me and stop. After a while, she do the same again. i will try to get a video tonight for this. Can anyone say what this is? She do not act like this except when we practice and she will run somewhere hiding and make this sound. Thank you for every answer šŸ˜Š

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
My/my mum's Eclectus is a 9 year old female who we hand raised from quite young; she didn't eve have all her feathers yet. And I've been looking after her for the last couple of week while my mum's been away. These last few days she's been making noises that remind me quite a bit of the calls she made as a baby, and I'd really appreciate any insight into what it means.
clip of noise
Sounds like a mimic to me! Cute little chirp!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Hello! I have similiar situation. My young eclectus is 1 year old. She came when she was about 4 month old. Healthy, happy, very chatty and good talker. Over the next few days, in the evenings as we practice tricks, suddenly Pegi (her name) runs under a closet or hides behind a piece of furniture and starts to make this very strange and new sound. At first I thought she has difficult to breathe. But when I call her, she will look at me and will gladly come to me and stop. After a while, she do the same again. i will try to get a video tonight for this. Can anyone say what this is? She do not act like this except when we practice and she will run somewhere hiding and make this sound. Thank you for every answer šŸ˜Š
How much does she weight, by chance?

Sounds like the onset of puberty, but her subspecies (which the weight can be an indication of) will dictate this likelihood. The seeking out of the closet (a dark place) is typically a hormonal Behavior, as itā€™s a seeking of a nesting site. You definitely want to discourage this behavior: donā€™t give her opportunities to access places like this.

baltokarhu

Nov 25, 2021
Media
Finland Helsinki
Parrots
eclectus
How much does she weight, by chance?

Sounds like the onset of puberty, but her subspecies (which the weight can be an indication of) will dictate this likelihood. The seeking out of the closet (a dark place) is typically a hormonal Behavior, as itā€™s a seeking of a nesting site. You definitely want to discourage this behavior: donā€™t give her opportunities to access places like this.
I was also thinking that can it be some hormonal stuff. I actually dont know how much she weights.. but if im right, she is eclectus roratus aruensis, well i mean that's what breeder told. i manage to film few bad quality videos, hope you will hear her.

baltokarhu

Nov 25, 2021
Media
Finland Helsinki
Parrots
eclectus
I was also thinking that can it be some hormonal staff. I actually dont know how much she weights.. but if im right, she is eclectus roratus aruensis, well i mean that's is what breeder told. i manage to film few bad quality videos, hope you will hear her.
View attachment 32424
other videos are too large to attach. So this is only one šŸ˜… hopefully you get the idea

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

completely strikes me as hormonal. Problem is if sheā€™s an aru red sided ekkie, sheā€™s a bit early for puberty. The smaller ekkies (Solomon island, for example) hit puberty at around one year. The larger subspecies (red sided vosmaeri, etc) take about 6-12 months longer, 1.5-2 years to reach puberty. Though certainly there will be individual variation, so perhaps it IS puberty.

baltokarhu

Nov 25, 2021
Media
Finland Helsinki
Parrots
eclectus
completely strikes me as hormonal. Problem is if sheā€™s an aru red sided ekkie, sheā€™s a bit early for puberty. The smaller ekkies (Solomon island, for example) hit puberty at around one year. The larger subspecies (red sided vosmaeri, etc) take about 6-12 months longer, 1.5-2 years to reach puberty. Though certainly there will be individual variation, so perhaps it IS puberty.
Thanks for reply! Could it be a bad thing or affect her health if her puberty has started so early? is it possible that i have cause it or help it, with the diet i mean. She eats different berries from nature, sweet potato and pomegranade every day, chili, carrots, beans, peas, herbs, different fruits Apples, passion etc.. it varies, as she has clear periods when what tastes good. Also millet, kvinoa, oat etc are given small amounts. Nuts and seeds only for as treats. I have read that if diet includes much sugar, it might make hormones stonger. Althougt, i think her diet is in good order. I added a picture of my beautiful baby.
IMG-20211030-WA0039.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
other videos are too large to attach. So this is only one šŸ˜… hopefully you get the idea

You can link larger video files by first uploading them to YouTube, and then linking them here from there...

Hope this helps! šŸ™

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Thanks for reply! Could it be a bad thing or affect her health if her puberty has started so early? is it possible that i have cause it or help it, with the diet i mean. She eats different berries from nature, sweet potato and pomegranade every day, chili, carrots, beans, peas, herbs, different fruits Apples, passion etc.. it varies, as she has clear periods when what tastes good. Also millet, kvinoa, oat etc are given small amounts. Nuts and seeds only for as treats. I have read that if diet includes much sugar, it might make hormones stonger. Althougt, i think her diet is in good order. I added a picture of my beautiful baby. View attachment 32425

no, no, and no. Itā€™s all natural! Just like in people, birds are individuals and will reach puberty at different times, some earlier than others.

yes, excess sugar in the diet can cause hormonal behavior (this includes sugar from fruits - fructose). But thatā€™s in mature birds capable of such phonological changes. Juveniles who havenā€™t yet hit puberty canā€™t be subject to such manipulations.

baltokarhu

Nov 25, 2021
Media
Finland Helsinki
Parrots
eclectus
Previosly we have always practice tricks in her room. She already knows that when I say ā€œletā€™s go to practice,ā€ she flies to her place and waits for me. Today I tried to change rooms because nowadays when we are in her room, she goes under the closet and cries during practice. But the same thing happened in the kitchen. She only plays with me a few times and then goes somewhere to cry. Today She went to the corner because she couldnt get underneath anything in our kitchen. Does anyone know why She acts like this only when we train? I havenā€™t seen her behave like this in other times. Also, today she started crying on my shoulder too, after training. Maybe because She couldnā€™t run under anything.. Should i just ignore her cry and keep trying to play with her? If this is puberty, how these training lessions effects her so?

Most Reactions

Latest posts