My first pet Parrot, its a quaker!!

Birdock

Mar 20, 2020
I got a quaker parrot last night from a local petstore. I feel bad because they kind of just forcefully grabbed him and shoved him in a box. Its the first day and hes still afraid of me and cowers in a corner and screams if i get too close. When i got on break from my work i went home to check on him and he escaped from the cage and was in my room and saw me and ran into the farthest corner under my bed until i left. I decided to just leave the cage open and let him explore while i finish my shift. I was gonna let him do this anyways (dont worry i unplugged everythinf so he wont get electrucuted). Am i doing this right so far? Ive been doing a fair amount of research before and after getting him and really its the first day that hes been here. So how should i preceed to get him back in his cage once its time for bed? Also is there anything that i can do to help him become more comfortable with me? Ive been not forcing him to do anything he doesnt want to and giving him the space he needs. Hes a year old. His birthday was march 16th. What would you guyou guys recommend i do to help with the taming process?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I’m sorry you two seem to have gotten off to a rocky start. I’m also sorry that your post seems to have been missed - i guess maybe because it’s kind of a crazy time right now!

I don’t have any particular advice on how you might make friends with a year old bird of unknown background, a lot will depend on how the poor little guy was treated during that year and how positive or otherwise his experience of humans has been. Food bribery is probably your best friend in the short term. Quakers are VERY smart and he really is still only a baby so with time and patience I’m sure he will come around. My little lorikeet Lilly came to me as a four month old and virtually wild having spent a few months in an aviary and was terrified of me for weeks until one day it was like a switch flicked on in her head and she has been my velcro-bird ever since. Food bribery was certainly instrumental in helping her to change her mind about me!

We have several Quaker aficionados among our number and I’m sure they will weigh in with some more tips for you soon. In the meantime welcome to the forum to the two of you, I’m so glad you found us!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello welcome!

Quakers are smart. Do you know how he got out of the cage,? I zip tie all doors except the main one, which I put a clip on.
Now that he is out, when I got home , I would sit on the floor, talk softly, try not to stare right at him. Have seed in a dish next to me, also what ever pet store feed, some veggies and some part safe food for you to nibble on. Maybe a litylevwadded up paper you can play with and crinkle a tesr, to try and get him curious. Give it an hour try, see if he will come to you. Tgevesit and hang out, before scooping him up to return to cage

If you can not get him to come to you. Slowly remove as many obstacles from the room as possible. Get a hand towel tgstvyiu will drop over him and scoop up careful and return to cage. Then tell him how sorry you are, over and over, sbdvtry and give a treat. Then back off a few feet and spend time talk to him. Low light also helps inn catching them.

I have some link I will share. Also go read the Quaker thread from other posts

sandeejs

Sep 8, 2016
S.E. MI
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot (Gordon)
Time, patience and gentleness are what is needed. Quakers are very intelligent, he will figure out you are on his side. Too bad the pet store was so rough on him.

As others have said, read through some of the basic thread in the forum. Good luck!

~Sandee~

Most Reactions

Latest posts