My GCC died suddenly What happened?

Hibiscus

Apr 5, 2021
Nevada
Parrots
My other GCC died before we got Zoey (from a cat) and it is too late to perform a necropsy on her. would chlamydia cause sudden death? (Zoey died within two minutes of showing serious symptoms) and my bird has only come in contact with three of my friend's budgies once a few months ago. but she didn't have any symptoms of being sick and I have her out of her cage with me for a few hours every day. there is a possibility that I missed the signs before she got really bad. Her body did kinda seem a little underweight so I guess I just kinda missed the symptoms. This is a real wake-up call and I will have learned from my mistakes if I get a bird again and I will be paying close attention to weight and stools thank you so much for the infomation it has been really helpful and i will continue to do more research.

Hibiscus

Apr 5, 2021
Nevada
Parrots
I’m so sorry for your loss, how devastating. This is strange as so many things could have caused this?? Can you please have your Vet perform a necropsy as this may help others in preventive measure. People can always buy another bird but you can never replace the one you lost. I know it’s crucial you find out what caused your Conures death and to help others.

6Fids

Jan 9, 2016
FL
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Blue Headed Pionus, Meyers, Senegal, Black Headed Caique, and Sun Conure
My GCC Zoey was playing around on the bottom of her cage and then a minute later she was lethargic and unresponsive she died a minute later in my hands. Her symptoms were close to a heart attack do you think that is possible? she was a little over one year and was on a pelleted diet with some veggies mixed in we do not have candles we don't use perfume or strongly scented lotions and we use cast iron pans.
So sorry for your loss!

J

Jeff1

My GCC Zoey was playing around on the bottom of her cage and then a minute later she was lethargic and unresponsive she died a minute later in my hands. Her symptoms were close to a heart attack do you think that is possible? she was a little over one year and was on a pelleted diet with some veggies mixed in we do not have candles we don't use perfume or strongly scented lotions and we use cast iron pans.
I am so sorry for your loss. Rest in Peace little Zoey.

CutiePi

Sep 18, 2015
Media
Dear Zoey bird,
I join with others from this wonderful community in feeling for you and offering my deepest sympathy for the loss of your beloved Zoey. I lost my Gertie in 2017 to aspergillosis after 22 years. I still cry over her from time to time. The loss can be devastating no matter how long the attachment. It's particularly hard not to have any answers, and it's a reminder of how fragile and precious life is. Be glad for the happy life you gave and shared with her. Time will heal.
All the best,
Judy, aka CutiePi, (formerly Gertie4me)

OP
ZoeyBear

ZoeyBear

Jul 27, 2021
Media
United states
Parrots
Zoey (GCC) R.I.P
R.I.P Skittles (GCC)
I’m so sorry for your loss, how devastating. This is strange as so many things could have caused this?? Can you please have your Vet perform a necropsy as this may help others in preventive measure. People can always buy another bird but you can never replace the one you lost. I know it’s crucial you find out what caused your Conures death and to help others.
A necropsy has to be done with in a few days and she died six days before Christmas so I would love to be able to do that but it is too late.

proudwetspider

Apr 11, 2018
Florida
Parrots
African Grey Congo female
so sorry. so very sorry.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I’m very sorry. You mention being in an RV…some electric heaters have a fluorocarbon coating on the heating elements to protect them from corrosion. Even a few minutes of exposure to the gas produced, especially from new heaters, can be fatal. So can latex paint, some cleaners, there’s a big list. I only mention this because it’s worth checking before getting another bird…was there any change in temperature, running the heat more, having windows opened or closed more, just search for any kind of environmental change.

OP
ZoeyBear

ZoeyBear

Jul 27, 2021
Media
United states
Parrots
Zoey (GCC) R.I.P
R.I.P Skittles (GCC)
I’m very sorry. You mention being in an RV…some electric heaters have a fluorocarbon coating on the heating elements to protect them from corrosion. Even a few minutes of exposure to the gas produced, especially from new heaters, can be fatal. So can latex paint, some cleaners, there’s a big list. I only mention this because it’s worth checking before getting another bird…was there any change in temperature, running the heat more, having windows opened or closed more, just search for any kind of environmental change.
No, we didn’t really have a change in temperature I will look into the heater thing but I think our heaters are safe. What about a gas stove we have one in the trailer and it runs off of propane do you think that could be a safety hazard if I get another bird?

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Parrots
Gotta have a carbon monoxide detector with any kind of fuel inside. For people, it’s important, because if a stove burner is slightly off it can burn poorly creating carbon monoxide. For birds it’s even more important. The way their lungs work means they circulate air through far more surface area than we do. It’s so they can get enough oxygen into their blood to fly. So if there is any kind of toxic gas, they will absorb more of it. It can be really hard to trace everything down. There are people who have lost their birds running their self-cleaning ovens, people who have lost birds using a portable electric space heater….in an RV, you have to think about where your air intake is. If you are parked next to someone running a generator, or any kind of motor, and the air intake for your ventilation system is pulling the fumes into your unit, you might feel fine but the birds might be poisoned. It’s very hard to figure out!

Hibiscus

Apr 5, 2021
Nevada
Parrots
A necropsy has to be done with in a few days and she died six days before Christmas so I would love to be able to do that but it is too late.
No, we didn’t really have a change in temperature I will look into the heater thing but I think our heaters are safe. What about a gas stove we have one in the trailer and it runs off of propane do you think that could be a safety hazard if I get another bird?
Below I agree to, taken off this link as your limited in ventilation in your trailer.

“I would suggest not using the stove at all, for your birds well being. Can be fatal to birds which are close to the source if they are in an enclosed space, or even with ventilation since there can be a buildup in certain places or currents of air can engulf the birds.
Do you have Carbon Monoxide detector?

A few more links;

Last edited:
OP
ZoeyBear

ZoeyBear

Jul 27, 2021
Media
United states
Parrots
Zoey (GCC) R.I.P
R.I.P Skittles (GCC)
Below I agree to, taken off this link as your limited in ventilation in your trailer.

“I would suggest not using the stove at all, for your birds well being. Can be fatal to birds which are close to the source if they are in an enclosed space, or even with ventilation since there can be a buildup in certain places or currents of air can engulf the birds.
Do you have Carbon Monoxide detector?

A few more links;

Yes we have a carbon monoxide detector but as for the stove we can’t not use it because that is what we use for cooking so if it is that big of a deal we won’t be able to get another bird

Hibiscus

Apr 5, 2021
Nevada
Parrots
Also one More thing we have a pressure cooker/instant pot would that cause issues with birds?
Countless parrots have passed from most appliances heated and coated with PTFE but according to Phoenixlanding there safe, but should not be used around birds.

I agree that you should not get another bird right now. In time, if you move into a larger home and can place your bird in another room, shut the door and open all windows and use stainless steel cookware without any hidden PTFE then everything should be fine as long as there is not hidden gas leaks from the stove. Also, over heated oil and butter can kill your bird there respiratory system is so delicate.

The only cookware I believe is safe to use is stainless steel but now there hiding PTFE inside, you would have to call the manufacturer. Copper is safe and also cast Iron.

Never use the self cleaning button on a stove or cook with bags. There’s is so much to learn, I tried to sum it up in a small paragraph.

I lived in a small studio around 12 years ago in Hawaii and never cooked inside. I lived there for about a year then I moved into a larger 3 bedroom home. 😂 the first thing I did was cook. I opened all the windows, placed them in there bedroom
and made spaghetti.

Even now, I rarely cook and my stress levels go up when I light the stove but I make sure the fans are going and a lot of air flow. I also have a rabbit air hepa and Voc filter going 24/7 in there bedroom. I believe that rabbit air has helped a lot.

If you need any resources, I would be happy to help you. Before you purchase any heated appliance, I would call the manufacturer ask if there is any PTFE, PTFO or PFOA’s in there cookware.

OP
ZoeyBear

ZoeyBear

Jul 27, 2021
Media
United states
Parrots
Zoey (GCC) R.I.P
R.I.P Skittles (GCC)
Countless parrots have passed from most appliances heated and coated with PTFE but according to Phoenixlanding there safe, but should not be used around birds.

I agree that you should not get another bird right now. In time, if you move into a larger home and can place your bird in another room, shut the door and open all windows and use stainless steel cookware without any hidden PTFE then everything should be fine as long as there is not hidden gas leaks from the stove. Also, over heated oil and butter can kill your bird there respiratory system is so delicate.

The only cookware I believe is safe to use is stainless steel but now there hiding PTFE inside, you would have to call the manufacturer. Copper is safe and also cast Iron.

Never use the self cleaning button on a stove or cook with bags. There’s is so much to learn, I tried to sum it up in a small paragraph.

I lived in a small studio around 12 years ago in Hawaii and never cooked inside. I lived there for about a year then I moved into a larger 3 bedroom home. 😂 the first thing I did was cook. I opened all the windows, placed them in there bedroom
and made spaghetti.

Even now, I rarely cook and my stress levels go up when I light the stove but I make sure the fans are going and a lot of air flow. I also have a rabbit air hepa and Voc filter going 24/7 in there bedroom. I believe that rabbit air has helped a lot.

If you need any resources, I would be happy to help you. Before you purchase any heated appliance, I would call the manufacturer ask if there is any PTFE, PTFO or PFOA’s in there cookware.
All the research I have been doing says that propane stoves are fine as long as you have a fan when you are cooking (and I am planning on buying a bird-safe air purifier to put in the room that the bird is in) also our trailer is like 44 feet long with three rooms in it so while I will take you advice and do more research I don't want to write off having a bird in a trailer completely (I have read a lot about people that live with there birds in a trailer and don't have any issues) and I know about the self-cleaning ovens and how dangerous they are but we don't have one so that is not an issue for us. I do appreciate the advice and the time you took replying to this but I can't help but think that might be a solution for this and if I can't find a safe solution to this then I will wait to have a bird again until I have a separate room to put it in. Thank you again for your advice, I will continue doing research on this

Hibiscus

Apr 5, 2021
Nevada
Parrots
All the research I have been doing says that propane stoves are fine as long as you have a fan when you are cooking (and I am planning on buying a bird-safe air purifier to put in the room that the bird is in) also our trailer is like 44 feet long with three rooms in it so while I will take you advice and do more research I don't want to write off having a bird in a trailer completely (I have read a lot about people that live with there birds in a trailer and don't have any issues) and I know about the self-cleaning ovens and how dangerous they are but we don't have one so that is not an issue for us. I do appreciate the advice and the time you took replying to this but I can't help but think that might be a solution for this and if I can't find a safe solution to this then I will wait to have a bird again until I have a separate room to put it in. Thank you again for your advice, I will continue doing research on this
It’s your decision on what you choose to do. I do not use propane but you might want to look into purchasing a rabbit air for there room or a high quality air purifier with a Hepa filter, Austin air seems to be good too. I hope everything works out!

OP
ZoeyBear

ZoeyBear

Jul 27, 2021
Media
United states
Parrots
Zoey (GCC) R.I.P
R.I.P Skittles (GCC)
It’s your decision on what you choose to do. I do not use propane but you might want to look into purchasing a rabbit air for there room or a high quality air purifier with a Hepa filter, Austin air seems to be good too. I hope everything works out!
Thank you, I am going to be purchasing a high-quality HEPA air purifier if I get another bird

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Parrots
I am circling back to your post in case this helps…there was an article in the NYT about gas stoves leaking methane even when turned off. It occurs to me that with all the jostling, the gas connections in an RV could work loose enough to leak a tiny amount of propane. Also it sounds like some ovens leak quite a bit during use, as the way they control temperature is to cut the flame off and on. So it’s not so much needing a fan, as needing an exhaust fan, when using the stove and regularly tightening any gas connections.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/27/...e-emissions.html?referringSource=articleShare

Most Reactions

Latest posts