my green cheek conure's feathers are turning black from turquoise

lokithegcconure

Aug 26, 2022
Parrots
2 lovebirds
1 cockatiel
1 gcc
hello!
i would like to ask why my conure's feathers are turning black. when he was younger he had nice shiny turquoise feathers but now they are turning black and I can't figure out why.
he is just 4 monts old.
he eats home made chop with corn, bell peppers, apple, some banana, peas, lettuce, carrots etc and sunflower seeds for treats.
he is not clipped. also, he likes playing on his back a lot.
the photo where he is outside he is 2 months old and at the other photo he is 4 months (today).
Screenshot_2022-08-27-00-44-50-154_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
Screenshot_2022-08-27-00-43-25-308_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Last edited:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Looks like wear and tear that babies normally experience. When he molts feathers should come back normally.

OP
L

lokithegcconure

Aug 26, 2022
Parrots
2 lovebirds
1 cockatiel
1 gcc
Looks like wear and tear that babies normally experience. When he molts feathers should come back normally.
thanks for the reply!
i really hope they are coming back to normal, his colours were beautiful.

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
hello!
i would like to ask why my conure's feathers are turning black. when he was younger he had nice shiny turquoise feathers but now they are turning black and I can't figure out why.
he is just 4 monts old.
he eats home made chop with corn, bell peppers, apple, some banana, peas, lettuce, carrots etc and sunflower seeds for treats.
the photo where he is outside he is 2 months old and at the other photo he is 4

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
hello!
he is just 4 monts old.
the photo where he is outside he is 2 months old and at the other photo he is 4 months (today).
View attachment 43489View attachment 43490
I've just had this happen. We were at the vet so I asked. They found nothing wrong with them but he was moulting heavily.
He was totally ripping at his feathers. I started to watch and he was constantly grooming. All the edges were black. I thought he was going to pluck. But no ...
At the same time he had a yeast infection. Which took 2 goes to heal.
He loves a bath ... so I encouraged him to bath every day. When he sits on me I'd scratch some of the new feathers coming through. Like a bird grooming him 😉
He is still getting new feathers. But mainly his head.
This has gone on for a couple of months. But his wings are looking much better. I don't know how old he is but I'm hoping we don't go through another moult like this. 🤞
I'm in Australia so it's winter and I'm thinking soon he will be bald and cold .. but it didn't get that far. The picture was a couple of weeks after he started grooming. All the feathers were getting short and the ends black ...
I actually looked last night and they are all growing back.

Attachments

• 20220515_164846.jpg
    20220515_164846.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 73

Most Reactions