my love birds leg

ker0ppi.c0ex

May 26, 2021
hello, I'm a 15 year old girl with a pet love bird. I don't know if this site is still active but I need help! my love bird is about a year old and he got wacked by my ceiling fan on accident and now his leg won't work. it's not swollen or bruised and he can open and close it but he just won't use it to climb or to put pressure on. he's acting completely normal other than his leg and I can't take him to an avian vet due to my age and my parents not having enough money to take me. do you have any suggestions?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Hi there, you bet we're active! Sorry to know your bird had encounter with ceiling fan.

Best case scenario is the leg muscles/ligaments may be sprained/sore as reason for avoiding use. Only way to know for certain if bones are broken is avian vet using X-Ray. Any other symptoms, how is his eating and pooping? Did you notice if his head was hit?

Some vets offer credit style payments over time but would require parental signature. If this is not possible, you may seek care from a vet on "pro bono" basis, meaning doing a good deed for charity. A local animal shelter or rescue may be of assistance, though might ask you to relinquish the bird.

I'm sure the encounter with ceiling fan was accidental you'll use care in the future. Sadly, many birds are lost at home from accidents.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Iā€™ve had success in using a a heated perch for leg therapy. There are televet visit? For my bird she had a pretty bad leg infection from a leg band that became imbedded. She was on antibiotic and pain meds. I also did epson soaks and was told to buy some horse product to try and help relieve swelling (Iā€™ll have to go see what it was). Can you take a photo of your birds leg? Iā€™d definitely purchase a heated perch- but the largest one and wrap between tape around it as it will give your bird more support.

Most Reactions

Latest posts