My Medori is home (alexadrine parakeet)

kobe629

Jul 25, 2011
Parrots
Monte - Queen of Bavaria
Willow - Blue and Gold Macaw
I couldn't wait and deiced to pick up my bird a week earlier..She is a 4 year old rehomed Alexadrine. Boy can this bird talk. He makes all kinds of weird noises and different voices. He mostly talks in this high pitch voice then every once and a while he talks in a deep voice and makes this crazy alarm sound. Another funny thing is that I think this bird was really noisy because when he starts making a lot of noise he would say it's name and tell himself to stop..

D3S_8246.jpg

D3S_8245.jpg

D3S_8238.jpg

Hochimama

May 5, 2011
Malaysia
Parrots
{used to have} Fisher LoveBird, PeachFace Lovebird, Albino Indian RingNeck {used to have}
That's one pretty pbird you having .. thanks for sharing with us `~ ^^

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
He's lovely! I love chattery birds too, wether it's whistles or words, it's fantastic :D I hope you have good times with him!:)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Congrats!!!! He's a beautiful bird, I rather have a chatty bird over a screaming bird!!! I have chatter going on all day here at my house. They sing, talk, and play. Good luck with your new baby!!!

Mira

May 28, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Kouki- CAG, Wasabi- WBC
I'm a bit late... What a great looking bird you have there!

Quick question, what camera were those pictures taken with?

OP
kobe629

kobe629

Jul 25, 2011
Parrots
Monte - Queen of Bavaria
Nikon d3s I forgot what lens.

MominNC

Sep 2, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
Alexandrine parakeet (parrot)
Awwww, I am glad Holly is covered up for the night she just might fall in birdie love. What a handsome Alexandrine you have. Holly too does high pitched and low pitched voices to talk nonstop. She squawks also when she sees anyone with food. She demands a taste and won't hush until she gets it.

OP
kobe629

kobe629

Jul 25, 2011
Parrots
Monte - Queen of Bavaria
Awwww, I am glad Holly is covered up for the night she just might fall in birdie love. What a handsome Alexandrine you have. Holly too does high pitched and low pitched voices to talk nonstop. She squawks also when she sees anyone with food. She demands a taste and won't hush until she gets it.

Squawking man tell me about it..It is so high pitch it hurts your ears no joke..My QOB is loud and high pitch but nothing like this bird it can make your ears ring plus I have tiles and a high ceiling in my house so it echoes..

Last edited:

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
Wow, what a beauty! The more I see and here about Alexandrines the more I love them! Don't you wonder what they have heard in the past when they talk in high and low pitched voices? Kiwi sometimes starts talking in this low, scary exorcist voice. We never know what she is saying however she seems to know!!LOL

MominNC

Sep 2, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
Kobe, it might sound kinda mean. The people who had Holly before I got her used a water squirt bottle to spritz her when she did the loud incessant nonstop squawking. I keep telling her talk don't squawk. She now repeats that and follows it up with saying in low alto voice "bad bird" yet she will go right back to squawking if she is in the mood for it. When it gets bad and goes on longer than five minutes and attempting to distract her doesn't work. I get out the water spritz bottle for a squirt. She hushes and starts preening feathers after a long shake. I don't know whether you want to try this method for your Alexandrine but it works with mine. Alexandrines according to everything I've read love water. I've seen some web videos of some enjoying a shower in the bath tub. I haven't tried that yet but I have stood with her on shoulder in a light rain.:green:

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)

That's so funny, our alex does the same thing when anyone has food and she isn't given anything. She has also made a habit of yelling when anyone new comes in or leaves "her" room. :) Silly birdies.

Oh and Kobe, I am sooo jealous of your camera! I loved your pictures!

OP
kobe629

kobe629

Jul 25, 2011
Parrots
Monte - Queen of Bavaria
He is driving my wife crazy..I think the pervious owner gave him up for the noise because he is a smart bird..he says "quit screaming medori", "medori stop it", or "what" when she starts to squawk but then keeps squawking..I try to encourage her to talk instead of squawking by responding back to her.

pagie

Apr 1, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Alexandrine-Jimmy
he is so gorgeous!! Jimmy is quite quiet he has his normal noisy times, in morning and early evening but mostly its chatter, mumbling and the odd whistle, actually he's usually in his cage then , he's very quiet when in his stand...........maybe because he is on a mission to steal food and destroy anything remotely chewable that is within range, he has lots to fossick and forage through so maybe too distracted and busy?? I leave a shoe box full of toys and beads and all sorts of goodies on his stand, he rifles through it and throws it around, maybe you could try keeping medori busy like that??

OP
kobe629

kobe629

Jul 25, 2011
Parrots
Monte - Queen of Bavaria
he is so gorgeous!! Jimmy is quite quiet he has his normal noisy times, in morning and early evening but mostly its chatter, mumbling and the odd whistle, actually he's usually in his cage then , he's very quiet when in his stand...........maybe because he is on a mission to steal food and destroy anything remotely chewable that is within range, he has lots to fossick and forage through so maybe too distracted and busy?? I leave a shoe box full of toys and beads and all sorts of goodies on his stand, he rifles through it and throws it around, maybe you could try keeping medori busy like that??

Thanks I did that even in his food I have shreded up paper so he can forage through it but not to much on his stand I'll need to had more. But will see I think he just screams so he can be held because once you hold him he is quite..

MominNC

Sep 2, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
Holly was making me crazy yesterday in screaming nonstop. I put her in cage and covered with her night time drape didn't help. Feeding her again didn't help. Finally I relented to let her out of cage once more. She beaked her way out of cage my hand under her for support. She reached out for me and climbed up -- problem solved. She wanted to be held. We wandered outside looking at the flowers. She did a couple of calls to the nearby crows who flew over to investigate. She chattered at them from my shoulder. An hour n half later back inside she willingly climbed back into her cage with the door open and played with her bell until bedtime.Change of scenery and distraction with shoulder time fixed her. She isn't really cuddly unless on her own terms.

OP
kobe629

kobe629

Jul 25, 2011
Parrots
Monte - Queen of Bavaria
Holly was making me crazy yesterday in screaming nonstop. I put her in cage and covered with her night time drape didn't help. Feeding her again didn't help. Finally I relented to let her out of cage once more. She beaked her way out of cage my hand under her for support. She reached out for me and climbed up -- problem solved. She wanted to be held. We wandered outside looking at the flowers. She did a couple of calls to the nearby crows who flew over to investigate. She chattered at them from my shoulder. An hour n half later back inside she willingly climbed back into her cage with the door open and played with her bell until bedtime.Change of scenery and distraction with shoulder time fixed her. She isn't really cuddly unless on her own terms.

Thanks.I know he just want to be next to someone because when you hold him he is quite. The problem is just when we eat dinner I put the birds on there stand and she goes crazy most of the time making those high pitch calls instead of eating his food while my QOB would just eat. He is really sweet so easy to get in and out of her cage and anyone can hold her you just can't pet her or cuddle with her like my QOB. I guess maybe I should just try to train my wife to accept the noise:09:. She was actually the one who picked him and she threated to give him back. But now she said we will keep him I would just feel so bad a bird this smart to be given away. My wife enjoys him too and he likes my wife more then me because she can pet his head and I can't and I'm the care taker..:D

Most Reactions