My new parrot need advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Multipaki

Multipaki

Jul 23, 2011
now he is climbing all over the cage, he isn't eating from my hand, he likes grapes alot. i hung a few on his cage and he was fast to eat them.

OP
Multipaki

Multipaki

Jul 23, 2011
should i let him out in my room tomorrow, what if he refuses to come back to the cage and i have to force him?

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Dont let him out. If he gets out by mistake, place grapes in the cage until he goes back. Be patient w/him, go slow. Build trust.

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
Turn on a tv or radio softly in the background all day for him to hear. In the wild a flock of birds only goes silent when they see a preditor... parrots often percieve total silence as a threat, and it can put them on edge. Music works great (not too loud) or even television with some background noise.

upcgirl

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Parrots
Max--Senegal

RIP Ricco--Mexican Red Head Amazon
Some first thoughts:

If his cage is on the floor, get it off the floor. Your bird cage should be somewhere safe, on a large stand, preferably. On the floor, there are drafts (you know, the floor IS the coldest part of the house because heat RISES), rodents, insects, etc that can cause harm. Also, if he is on the floor, you look like a giant to him and I would personally bite you if I was on the floor too!

Second, you took this bird out of his comfort zone. Have you ever been to a foreign country, where you don't know the language, the culture & you don't know anyone. Do you know how that feels? Well, your bird is having the same feeling. He doesn't know you. There isn't anything familiar there to comfort him.

What I suggest to you, is this: Sit by your new friend in a chair. Don't stick your hand near him--UNLESS to give food and water. Sit by your new friend and talk to him. Read a book or a magazine in a chair, by the cage. Turn the radio or television on and allow your feathered friend to watch and listen as well. Do this for a week, maybe two, so your bird becomes accustomed to you.

Eat by him. Grab some portable veggies (celery or carrot sticks, snap peas, pepper strips) and eat a few in front of him. If he seems interested, offer him one that you hadn't eaten off of yet. :) Stay away from onions, rhubarb, & avocado.

I hope this has been beneficial. Good luck to you and your new friend :)

upcgirl

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Parrots
Max--Senegal

RIP Ricco--Mexican Red Head Amazon
Also, don't feed him a lot of fruit. Fruit and nuts should be snacks only. And offer a big variety of veggies and fruit. My vet told me that birds should not eat the same type of vegetable and fruit more than 3 times a week.

I wouldn't let him out right away. I would keep him in his cage for a week or so just so he can get used to you because he is in a place he isn't used to yet. If he flies around in your house, he can get hurt really bad. And since you just got him home, he isn't going to trust you to step up right now. So, should he get hurt, you are going to scare him even more by having to force him to come to you.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I find this sooooo funny. I hate to laugh at someone else's expense. But this is really a hoot. I swear I think the pet shop owners have these birds setup to trick us. Are you sure there wasn't what we call a bait and switch. The first bird you handled wasn';t the actual bird you bought.

But most likely, this bird is scared and needs time to get to know YOU and his new surroundings. Also, if you put me in that small dinky cage, I would be mad at you too. Did that pet shop recommend that cage to you for this bird? Or was it just supposed to be a transport cage.

OP
Multipaki

Multipaki

Jul 23, 2011
well the pet shop didn't recommend a cage he said he will be comfortable on your had so i just bought a transport cage when i left him in my home he was acting all weird so i had to puy him in the cage i have a big cage but before i put him in that cage i want him to get used to the surroundings :3

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
If you have a bigger cage then please put him in it. He will be happier in a larger cage, also get toys, LOTS OF THEM! If he is happy in his cage then chances are he will be happier with you... A small cage to start is not going to get him to trust you more. As a ringneck owner it really saddens me to see a ringneck in such a tiny cage. These birds won't be content in such a tiny cramped cage. I am trying not to judge you, but this is abusive from my point of view.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
From what I can see from the picture he looks stressed, and that isn't a good thing. My ringneck screams when small children he doesn't know come over, and hangs off the cage the same as yours is doing in the pictures above. If you truly want to give this parrot the best life then please buy a new cage asap, and toys.

solobaby

Jul 14, 2011
Parrots
Solo(indian ringneck)-Marley(green cheek conure)- Dobby (cockatiel)
you need a much bigger cage, my IRN would go mad in a cage like that. and get him some toys to keep him busy

OP
Multipaki

Multipaki

Jul 23, 2011
he doesn't scream its like when i leave the room he is calling out something like that, i'll work on the cage will get him by night, the cage needs to under go some wielding.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
wow... okay, now that I got that out of the way...
Keeping an IRN in a cage that small with no perches or toys "until he settles" is not a good idea. It can take months to years for a bird to form a bond with you and keeping him in such a small cage is only going to delay the process. That cage is meant for a budgie, not a medium sized parrot as active as a ringneck. Get him in a larger cage as soon as you can with lots of perches and toys and just let him watch you for awhile. Once he realizes that you are not going to hurt him he will come around, it just takes time. But that cage is WAY too small, even for a temporary situation, in my opinion. I have an alexandrine, slightly larger than an IRN and her cage is about 3 feet wide by about 4 feet tall. With the legs on it it is taller than me and I am 5'10''. Also, as someone else mentioned, fruit and nuts should be given more as a treat, stick to high quality pellets, plenty of safe veggies and a small amount of seeds, fruit and healthy nuts. Also, bear in mind that ringnecks aren't the most sociable birds when it comes to human interaction, it takes a lot of slow, steady trust building and keeping him stuck in a small cage with no toys, only wire to stand on and loud music and gunfire in the background as you move his cage all over the house is not going to make matters any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions