My regent parrot is doing something weird

Krumpirko

Dec 27, 2019
Hello,
I am an owner of a 1 and a half year old regent parrot. I've read that they reach maturity when they are 2 years old so I don't know if it's male or female yet. So this weird thing started today. I let him out of his cage in the morning when he woke up just as I always do and it was all normal until he sat on top of the cage, went to the edge and lowered his body but his tail was up and he then produced low, strange noises. But he would stop doing this a minute later. After that he repeated the process when he landed on the tall closet I have in my living room. Is it possible that he/she wants to lay eggs and should I be worried?
I recorded a video of him doing this but I don't know how to post it here.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Suggest your parrot is going through puberty, the actions you describe are classic mating behaviour. SO- do not scratch anywhere besides the head, anywhere else is considered mating inducing. No petting on the body. The first puberty can be very difficult for some parrots ( each one is different). Some birds get very bitey and moody, for some its pretty mild and the owners may not even notice it. But it does pass eventually. The big thing is to not teach you parrot bad behavior during the trying time for them. Extra screaming, or biting, or dislike of their former favorite person, all these will pass as their body adjusts to the hormones racing thru their systems. Patience, steady interactions those are the tickets.

Most Reactions