My story of the 2 Macaws I got off craigslist

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I was not looking for anymore birds [I feel contentfully full] .I was looking on craigslist for [a new cage for my Goffin ]and always looking for play stands. I noticed an ad that had been on awhile ago .It was 2 macaws ,their cage ,playstand and carrier for 700 dollars. I was surprised to see it on again . It looked like a nice ad [not a sad one]. Well I dreamt about it all night. In the morning I warned Dave I might be going on a roadtrip [it was an hour and a half away ]. He didn't want to go .I said fine ,I felt this weird drive to follow through with it . Almost like a premonition . I called and tried to figure out if anything was wrong with these birds .He said he wanted that certain amount and people wanted to pay less. He also kept mentioning that its not like he needed the money for drugs. I think he mentioned the birds were in the basement [I felt he didn't care to much about them ].So I packed tools [to break down the cage] straps to put ontop of my car [Crazy I know ]and my Gps. Told Dave to wish me luck[I might be going to the hood].when I got there the birds were in the basement [awful ] dark and a washer and dryer to look at .They had no food or water and looked pretty thin .I think they fed them once a day very little food [he showed me]. Poor birds this was a Greenwing and Blue and gold.So im in the basement dismantling the cage as he starts talking about this money wasn't for drugs [I think that's exactly what it was for ]Realizing this wasn't the best place for me[I watch to much investigation discovery!!] It all went ok ,the birds were so hungry they bribed them into the carrier with food.This wasn't the best thing for me to do by myself . But I had this weird feeling this whole day was supposed to happen. So I do still think craigslist might be the true rescue. Each Ive gotten off there have been not great situations. Im surprised people would get these animals without researching them.So if you have bird experience check out craigslist and don't go alone . I found out they are underweight and the blue and gold has an old wing injury.He doesn't have full use of his wing . So I have Ruby [whose 9] and Rocky whose 6 [they came with those names. Im happy I have them.

OP
Pinkbirdy

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
pinkbirdy-albums-more-birds-picture9691-ruby-rocky-055.jpg

OP
Pinkbirdy

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
pinkbirdy-albums-more-birds-picture9692-ruby-rocky-057.jpg

OP
Pinkbirdy

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
pinkbirdy-albums-more-birds-picture9693-ruby-rocky-061.jpg

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Through some join yoga/wing stretches, Rocky may be able to use both his wings again.

What a story! But at least they are in a safe place now!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
They're sooooooooo adorable!!!!! I'm glad you went to save them! I try to stay off craigslist and such places as much as I could. And I decline people who try to give me birds, I don't even want to look at them cause I know how we are, we would take them like our most recent kitten Jaxon, we end up with another animal. We're full to the max and it takes hours to clean and feed everyone. BUT now if someone calls me again, I have three other animal loving homes I can bring them to that's wanting birds pretty badly as they all are approved by me. :)

OP
Pinkbirdy

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
Mikey,I know what you mean [lots of cleaning]. But I figure what else would I be doing [watching Tv :)] I am staying of craigslist!! Its hard when I get birds and their easy.Your lucky you know of people that want birds .I wish I had that situation here.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
their probably thinking they've died and gone to heaven, they look happy
you have two GORGEOUS birds!!

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
I'm happy you have them, too! ;)

You are an awesome parront! They will truly get awesome care with you! :D

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Thanks for looking out for some birds in need.

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
Sad situation, but at least now they have the home and life they deserve. To be kept in such a small cage for 2 macaws and never let out, sad. They will love you to pieces for rescuing them.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
:eek: Wow you have some mighty guts to go there by yourself. :eek:

MANY many congrats on both of them. They truly could not have found a better home. :D

DeeNTheChillas

Jul 18, 2013
Western NY
Parrots
Will be adding a parrot when the right one finds me.
I saw the ad for these guys and hoped they got a good home! I'm so thrilled that they did - I was so tempted to take them but didn't have the cash - they were about 1.5 hours from me as well.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
What a shame you had to acquire more birds ;)

They look happy with you! Good luck with them both!

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
Mikey,I know what you mean [lots of cleaning]. But I figure what else would I be doing [watching Tv :)]

Hahahaha....
I just disconnected my TV cable and landline phone services.......LOL
I figured I am paying for something I can't use anyway, have no time.....LOL
I am left with internet and cell phone....Woooooo - Hoooooo
And I have only 2 birds...LOL. I have about 300 orchids that keep me busy when birds are not.
I am so glad you picked these beautiful birds. I am sure they will reward you for that.
I picked my YSA from craigslist and also from the basement....

jbail1026

Aug 6, 2012
Media
Lexington, KY
Parrots
Family bird: Yellow-Naped Amazon (George '88)
My girl: Turquoise Peachfaced lovebird (Ollie Belle, hatched 9/1/13)
They are gorgeous! And, I swear, I think I can tell that they are happy/relieved/can't believe their luck from the pics! Wonderful story and I'm very glad it all worked out. You are very brave...I know I've gone on CL pick-ups alone (aquariums, cages) and it's been fine, but don't go alone if you don't have to.

OP
Pinkbirdy

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
I saw the ad for these guys and hoped they got a good home! I'm so thrilled that they did - I was so tempted to take them but didn't have the cash - they were about 1.5 hours from me as well.
Boy was this ad misleading . I thought it was a woman wanting a nice home for her birds.The picture they had definitely was not of them in the basement.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
WOW. just wow. Those poor birds!!! I'm so glad you went and got them- you're so brave too!! Venturing down into someone's basement, alone! Eek!!

DeeNTheChillas

Jul 18, 2013
Western NY
Parrots
Will be adding a parrot when the right one finds me.
Boy was this ad misleading . I thought it was a woman wanting a nice home for her birds.The picture they had definitely was not of them in the basement.

I would not have guessed that from the ad for sure!

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
That's awesome. I don't care too much for Craig's list. I've seen some pretty sad and sick looking birds on there.

Most Reactions

Latest posts