my TAGs are about to start a family

BuckBeak

Jul 26, 2013
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pair of Timneh African Grey
I own a pair of TAG and they starting to mate from 5 days ago (at least this was the first time I observed). My TAGs are really close to me, they still let me hold, kiss, eat my food, and do all the regular stuff. My question is that I can't find a good reference book or guidance about taking care of expecting mom TAG and when will she lay her eggs, how will she behaves, will she know how to take care of her baby? Should I get an pigeon egg incubator as backup plan? What tools do I need to hand feed the baby? What is the nutrition requirement for a baby TAG.... I called UC Davis Avian Science Department and they haven't return my call. I called my vet, the technician said I am too scientific, I called a bird shop called Feather Follies, the store employee told me:" if I see an egg in their cage, just take it out and throw it in the garbage can (WTF)..... I am feeling so scared and frustrating......Can anyone help me? :confused::(

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I own a pair of TAG and they starting to mate from 5 days ago (at least this was the first time I observed). My TAGs are really close to me, they still let me hold, kiss, eat my food, and do all the regular stuff. My question is that I can't find a good reference book or guidance about taking care of expecting mom TAG and when will she lay her eggs, how will she behaves, will she know how to take care of her baby? Should I get an pigeon egg incubator as backup plan? What tools do I need to hand feed the baby? What is the nutrition requirement for a baby TAG.... I called UC Davis Avian Science Department and they haven't return my call. I called my vet, the technician said I am too scientific, I called a bird shop called Feather Follies, the store employee told me:" if I see an egg in their cage, just take it out and throw it in the garbage can (WTF)..... I am feeling so scared and frustrating......Can anyone help me? :confused::(

First, welcome to the forums & congrats on becoming a future grand-parront.....

You should see eggs showing up 7-10 days after mating, though they could be clear as first timers often need a couple practice attempts to get everything right...then subsequent eggs should follow every 1.5 to 2 days after that.....a normal clutch will vary from 3-5 eggs.....

Since you've observed your feathered friends doing what comes naturally, you need to start feeding your hen fresh foods high in calcium...here are a few good sources:

White Beans (cooked)
Canned Salmon
Sardines
Dried Figs
Bok Choy
Blackstrap Molasses
Kale
Black-eyed Peas (cooked)
Almonds
Oranges
Turnip Greens
Sesame Seeds
Seaweed
Oatmeal
Cheerios
Scrambled Eggs
Crushed Egg Shells

While spinach is good our feathered friends, the oxalates in the spinach bind to the calcium and prevent the body's absorption of the calcium...natural calcium is much better than synthetic supplements because any excess can be excreted from the bird's body, where synthetics can cause a hypercalcification problem.....

As you do more research, you'll find a lot of erroneous information out there, including throwing away eggs.....when you do that, the hen will often lay a replacement egg, which can cause health problems for hens that develop a propensity for egg laying.....you might find it best to double check (with different sources) questionable information.....

You'll also find people who really don't know what they're talking about...and your look for single books may get harder and harder because the internet has pretty much affected a lot of book publishing and though you might have to ferret through a lot of junk, but the best and most current information is on the internet.....

Good luck.....

Last edited:
OP
B

BuckBeak

Jul 26, 2013
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Dear Weco,
Thank you for these priceless information..... Thank you for helping me. I do give them fresh veg, fruits, 1 hard boiled egg with shell per a day, various seeds, Roudy Bush Breeder food, zoopreem (my TAGs just suddenly want to eat that), chicken bone (for bone marrow). Most food I gave them are organic and human food grade. But now you taught me the other good food for them, I will increase the diversity of their food choices and hopefully they will try them.

Oh, few more questions, since my TAGs are very close to me, even at this point, they still offering their kisses and allowing me to play with them, all of that. Should I back myself out from that special relationship with them? I mean, if I remain this close relationship with them, will she still lay her eggs or even sit on the eggs? This is why I am thinking maybe I shou get an incubator as a backup.

I am planning to hand feed the baby, at what age should I remove the baby from the nesting box? And can I st put the baby back after I feed them ( I am thinking about mommy bird and I both feeding the baby). The pet shop told me TAGs will kill the baby if I take them out and put them back.

Again, thank you for taking your valuable time to read and respond to my questions.

Sincerely wishing you a very nice weekend.

Elaine

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Sorry Elaine, I can't speak to hand feeding and pulling chicks, but I have known parronts who tried hand feeding and ended up losing a chick before bringing in another feeder.....

I would continue my usual interaction with your greys and see how the act once there are eggs in the nest and make my co-parenting decision from there...and actually the problem might come from the male since protecting the nest is normally their purview.....

Good luck.....

OP
B

BuckBeak

Jul 26, 2013
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Hi Weco,
Thank you for your prompt reply. My conscience is telling me the same thing as your reply ... Most bird shop have breeding pairs that are not close to human. In my case, both of mine are companion birds becoming breeding pair.... This factor could bring total opposite results and I must approach with total cautions.... I am starting a journal and note down my observations and my TAGs response...

FunnyFarmAK

Dec 9, 2013
We live outside of Haines, Alaska at the far north
Parrots
I currently have a B&G Macaw, a Harliquin Macaw, a Goffins cockatoo, a sulphur crested cockatoo, a scrappy head, and 2 Congo African Greys
OK, I have the same situation but don't want my 25 yr. old CAG's to breed. We don't think they have bred yet but just caught them about to engage. (even out in public) We have not given them a private place or any privacy and all 7 of my birds are out and about most all day. Is the only way to keep them from breeding to keep them separate and then could anyone direct me to any threads which may help.

Most Reactions

Latest posts