5lim8oi

Jun 30, 2014
Horley, United Kingdom
Parrots
None Yet. :-(
Hello to everyone!

So i need to let everyone know straight off that I dont actually own a Parrot as yet. (sorry)

I am really hoping to own one at some point in the future however once my wife and I get our own place. Which may be a way off ... Boo.

But i thought i could set myself up on here and get involved in chats and pick up some advice about the future challenges ahead.

I love the idea of a Scarlet Macaw but having done research I see they are pretty hardcore when it comes to needs etc and thought seeing as I have never been a bird owner I might start with something a little 'easier'?

I wonder if anyone has suggestions about what kind of bird might be a good start. I am quite excited about parrots intelligence and would look forward to teaching them things and doing basic 'training' with birds; never professionaly but teaching them to step up, shoulder ride, perhaps talk. That kind of thing.

So i guess i'd want a bird that is pretty smart but not too demanding as a good starter.

Suggestions welcome,

5lim8oi :red1:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Actually, GREENWING MACAWS are generally the bird most people really wanted, when they thought they wanted a scarlet. Seriously!

I don't believe in the "starter" bird concept. Get the bird you really want. If you want a macaw, learn what's involved in their care and training, and then get what you really want...

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I'd suggest a cockatiel. great birds with very different personalities. Go and meet some babies and find one that likes you. Thanks for taking time and interest enough to join the forum and research your new best buddy. We'd love to help you learn about becoming a "parront", LOL.

Last edited:

Ducatimom

Jun 10, 2014
Media
Colorado Springs, CO
Parrots
6 yr old Sun Conure (Ducati)
I would say a Sun Conure but that's my own personal opinion. Ducati is my first bird and we absolutely adore him. But honestly I would go with what Birdman said. Do your research, visit different birds. You'll know the bird that's right for you when you meet him. I first got interested in parrots when I saw a little GCC at Petsmart. He'd stop what he was doing and just start bopping around every time I went by. I really wanted him, but I still had to go grocery shopping and obviously didn't want him sitting in the car the whole time. Then I started looking and found our little guy.

But seriously Sun's are great.;) LOUD! But very entertaining and endless amounts of joy.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Hi and welcome :). Some people do start out with a more "advanced" bird (or whatever animal). I first started out fish tanks with salt water reefs. Talk about a learning curve!
Then again, makes perfect sense if you want to start out with something a bit less demanding.
I won't necessarily suggest a certain species, but my suggestion to you would be to get exposure to a variety of available species... go and visit bird stores or a parrot rescue if there are any in your area. Or breeders who welcome the public and can introduce you to a variety of species and answer questions. Keep on researching about the various species available in your country, and keep an open mind! :)
Generally speaking, most of the smaller species will give you the challenge of learning about parrot behavior while being a little more easy going about your learning curve.
My "starter parrot" is still with me nearly 20 years later. My favorite boy Robin. I've come to realize I am a huge fan of the Poicephalus genus of parrots, as well as the Pionus family :) Good luck, and have fun researching.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Welcome! I had two budgies as a kid, a cockatiel as a young adult and three months ago a red headed Mexican was given to me, my first amazon and largest bird. I had been looking at cockatoos, and african greys But a after a cousin passed I took Buddy in, never thought of or read up on amazons until getting him. So I've been learning with him and this forum, also reading up. It worked out, he and I bonded quick but like others have said there is no starter bird. Read up and visit birds, see how they respond to you. Last week I was in Petco and a sun conure was trying to get to my finger on the glass. Smashed bird face on the glass is comical. My cousins have a sun conure jenday named Buddy and when I go over I scoop him out of his cage and we visit. I think interacting helps a lot. Best of luck!!!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome to the forum! Good luck in your new adventure. I agree with the others, keep reading and researching, go visit birds and find out which species you connect with.

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
Like most others here said, the best thing you can do is get out there and see some birds!!

Decide whether you want a "velcro" bird (like a Cockatoo just for example)
Or as some people think a more independent bird like an Amazon (less "touchy feely")

Decide whether you want a smaller bird like a Parrotlett (smallest "real" parrot in the world, Great little bird, quiet apartment bird)
Or a larger bird....

One things for sure, you are in a GREAT place, Everyone here is Very Caring and we all will help you find the Parrot that "Picks You" LOL :D

GOOD LUCK !!

Joe

OP

5lim8oi

Jun 30, 2014
Horley, United Kingdom
Parrots
None Yet. :-(
Woah, loads of replies!!

Thanks all, there's some real solid advice here. I'll definitely have to research what species are available in the UK and find a decent bird store or breeder nearby who can 'take me under their wing' a little.

I'll have more questions I'm sure. Thanks again all who've replied!

Most Reactions