Nanday conure aggressive

alfredofig

Nov 25, 2021
Parrots
Nanday conure
Hello I recently bought a Nanday conure from a bird shop my mom bought it and she told me about the place it seemed sketchy. They said they had a warehouse where they breed birds. They didn’t give her any paper that indicates the bird was healthy nor did they give us his hatch date. They said he’s 1 year old and gave us a random wrist band they had in a bag full of them. I’ve had green cheeck conures before but this one is different. When I got close to his cage he would move back and forth open his beak and wings all while vibrating his head. It’s been about a week and he’s even more aggressive. He won’t allow for us to even get close to him. He also goes in his plate and throws his food with his beak with anger. I am suspicious that he was a stolen bird. The worker at the place couldn’t even get a hold of him to deliver it to us. At the bird store he didn’t have toys and just had one perch and food. I don’t know what to do he bites us and if we try to get close he flies all over his cage. I’m taking it slow trying to not get to close and set boundaries to where he’s comfortable, but he’s very aggressive and I see no progress. He also has a lot of pin feathers, so I don’t know if that helps. I need help understanding his aggressive behavior.

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Hello,
it is quite a sad story for this bird and with such behavior I can only assume the worst in how he was handled.

But now that he is lucky to have you, his long road to recovery is just a step away.
He just doesn't know that love and good life awaits him, yet. Hope you will show us a photo of him.

Perhaps it is best to start from scratch.....
Age....may be in question?
Health.....require a screen from a vet?
Hygiene....does he bath?
Favourite Food...that he eat before others?

Most issues are mentioned in this article....

Do keep us posted
And give us more details

OP
A

alfredofig

Nov 25, 2021
Parrots
Nanday conure
Hello,
it is quite a sad story for this bird and with such behavior I can only assume the worst in how he was handled.

But now that he is lucky to have you, his long road to recovery is just a step away.
He just doesn't know that love and good life awaits him, yet. Hope you will show us a photo of him.

Perhaps it is best to start from scratch.....
Age....may be in question?
Health.....require a screen from a vet?
Hygiene....does he bath?
Favourite Food...that he eat before others?

Most issues are mentioned in this article....

Do keep us posted
And give us more details
Yes I’ll show a picture of him tomorrow he is currently asleep. I assume he is much older then they claimed him to be. Knowing they gave us a random wrist band. They never clipped his wings. His nails were over grown and his beak was very sharp. We did take him to a groomer we trust and they handled him very well. We are getting him to a vet. The people from the shop said that they didn’t take him to the vet because they apparently have to wait for him to be a year old to get vaccines. We are working on getting him an appointment we are just waiting for this holiday to pass. He does bathe from time to time. The only food he really enjoys are apples. We are trying to switch him to a veggie/pellet diet but it’s been difficult since he was on a seed diet at the shop. But he doesn’t trust humans if we get close to his cage he moves away. He tries to bite if we get close and as I said before makes that alarming behavior of lifting his wings puffing up and making a hissing noise with his beak open when we get close. I have come to the conclusion he was probably neglected and probably had traumatic experiences with humans. He was in a small cage at the shop as well with no toys. We have showed him toys and he doesn’t acknowledge them. We try to show affection. I’ll greet him in the morning and tell him good night. He just doesn’t seem to trust me. He has had the chance to bite us. We still love him and trying to take it slow. He seems depressed and always looks angry. He just sits on the perch most of the day and eats. We try to leave his cage open so he can climb out for a while to enjoy time out of his cage, bet he bites. It’s gonna be hard but my family is determined to keep trying.

OP
A

alfredofig

Nov 25, 2021
Parrots
Nanday conure
1003D84F-0BC0-4EED-ADFB-0C921C1D8591.jpeg

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
He definitely is one happy fellow. With out feeling safe, bird keeps quiet and hide. Here he is out and about so he knows it is safe here.

He was lucky to grow up without wing clipping too. The muscles get developed properly at younger days. So with daily excercise to practice all movements such as wing flapping and stairclimbing, adding a soft spot to land, he could be free flying indoor. Perhaps even following you into another room in the future.

How long has his perch been higher than eye level?
From my experience, I training a little baby bird while she is at my eye level result in.....lifting wings puffing up and making a hissing noise with open beak....I think this means, back off, I am dominant here. After, I move her perch Tobe below eye level, she became obedient. This article mentioned interesting things about height and aggressiveness.

https://hubpages.com/animals/How-Height-Plays-a-Role-in-Avian-Aggression

Please give this a try

OP
A

alfredofig

Nov 25, 2021
Parrots
Nanday conure
Omg really. I will do that. We have him above his cage too and I will stop since it’s below my eye level. Today I made good progress I was giving him a treat while petting hIm with the treat he seemed very relaxed and I could see a smile. He didn’t puff up while I was close I think I’ll get him to trust me. It was a first step. I will get him below my eye level on a perch.
AB43CDAD-2E5E-4BDA-A4E5-02853F2A7163.jpeg

OP
A

alfredofig

Nov 25, 2021
Parrots
Nanday conure
Hello I’d like to update my Nanday conure seems More comfortable. He still doesn’t let us hold him. If I try to pet him with my hand he flaps his wings and tried to bite me. I don’t know how to get him to trust me it’s been over a month. If I do try to pet him he digs his beak in his food bowl. Does anyone know why he does this, I’m trying to take things as low as possible.

Most Reactions

Latest posts