Necropsy, a tough decision.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
The purpose for this forum, and the reason that I sought it out in the first place, is to get help from each other while tending to our feathered companions. Whether its dietary information, training tips, our shared experiences, keeping our little, and some not so little friends safe, happy and healthy is of primary concern to us all. When things are wonderful, training time is a joy, and our recipes are happily shredded before our eyes we all grow and learn. When things go wrong and the worst happens, we also share in each others pain and sense of loss.

When my conure George died, part of me died too. It hurt so bad it took my air away and I could barely function. Having a necropsy (the term used for an after-death medical examination) done seemed at first, almost sacriligious. However, if I was going to eventually get another bird I had to find out what went wrong. I have read over some of the bereavement posts in the last fews weeks (I am strong enough to do that now) And even there I learn.

If anyone is new to bird ownership, or contemplating owning one of these magically wonderful creatures, it is important to know what to do in good times and in bad. Dont be afraid to ask the tough questions, (or hear tough answers) and knowing exactly what happened when it all went wrong is important for all of us to hear and you are helping us all by sharing.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Unfortunately, a necropsy is often the last thing many owners think of when a pet dies. I've seen many people blame "old age" for the reason of death, when the animals may not have lived anywhere near their potential age, or even a good old age. They fail to think they could have inadvertently caused the death of their own pet (toxins, poor diet, etc).

Having a necropy done is not an easy choice to make, but it is often one that may be able to give you peace of mind. You are right though, no one should be afraid to ask questions!

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I had a necropsy done on my three parakeets recently (Posted about it in the bereavement section) after they died while I was away, unexpectedly. I thought it might have been the food, as one of the things I fed on occasion was recalled, but it turned out to be starvation, as the person watching them for me neglected them.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
I had a necropsy done on my three parakeets recently (Posted about it in the bereavement section) after they died while I was away, unexpectedly. I thought it might have been the food, as one of the things I fed on occasion was recalled, but it turned out to be starvation, as the person watching them for me neglected them.

How awful! I am so sorry for your loss and appalled at the negligence from the care giver!

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
I'm so sorry for your loss, and all of the loses here on the forum. Just know that our community is always willing to help each other through difficult times like these. I think a necropsy is a tough, but smart decision. Thank you for sharing, I never thought of getting a necropsy for my birds, but it's definitely something I will consider now. Best wishes for you to heal from your loss <3

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
So sorry for your loss. I always feel like I lose a small part of me for a while when I hear about the loss of a fid. Only people that have adored and lived with companion birds can understand and appreciate the forever bond, so I can understand your initial feeling about not doing the necropsy. But it sounds like you worked through it and are okay with it. I also think it is a good idea. There is never enough info when it comes to learning about how to take care of those that we are responsible for.

Hugs,
Wanna and Pritti

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
Thank you for this reminder. In case others don't know, any parrot that will be necropsied should be stored in a refrigerator, not a freezer. You can place it in a sealed container or a bag. If frozen, the cells break down when thawing, making it difficult to determine cause of death.

Most Reactions

Latest posts