Need advice for conure

D

Deleted member 42802

Hiya, I bought a green cheek conure , Iā€™ve been looking into it for a while and own other breeds of birds, the conure was suppose to be hand rared, so Iā€™ve been trying to get her to step up, but she stays in one place and refuses to move , she wonā€™t take food from hands, and has started biting and braking skin, we was told she wasnā€™t aggressive and wouldnā€™t brake skin, we was also told she loves scratches and cuddles, sheā€™s almost 6 months old and Iā€™ve had her for a few days and im not making any progress, im looking for any advice on how I can help bond with her, or what it might be, I also forget to add the man we got her of had her wings clipped ( which I donā€™t agree with), and she also has a missing nail which I wasnā€™t aware of, he kept grabbing her by the tail, which was awful too, so Iā€™m not sure if this has anything to do with it

Last edited by a moderator:

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
a "few days" arnet enough to show the birds full personality
i recommend living her alone for a week or so for her to settle in

read these two threads thoroughly..
they should help a million

OP
D

Deleted member 42802

a "few days" arnet enough to show the birds full personality
i recommend living her alone for a week or so for her to settle in

read these two threads thoroughly..
they should help a million
Thank you Iā€™ll read them, the person we got her off told us not to ā€œgive her freedomā€ so obviously I was a bit confused

OP
D

Deleted member 42416

It sounds like this poor gcc was mistreated by her previous owner. She will need time to regain trust; this can take a long time; patience is critical. Not showing anger and not punishing is important if bites occur. That said, set her up for success by not forcing hand interactions. You can keep a still hand close to and then resting on the side of the cage for increasing increments of time every day while you just talk softly or just reading/ watching tv. She will learn to become more relaxed around hands over time.

Other members have given great advice, good luck!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
To me it sounds like you are rushing things. They have to learn to trust you. Repeated trying to get step up is probably what has led to bites.

I advise stop working on step up. Instead focus on making friends.. one if the vest ways to do this is to just go and say ( name) abd give a seed treat, if nit by hand at first use a small treat only dish to put it in. Repeat many times a day. Then you can try holding onto the treat fir longer as the move towards dish beer putting it in. Then hope is you can hand off treat after a few days.
bird could very well have trusted the previous owner and stepped up for them. Or its possible the previous owner lied.
As above a few days is not enough time.
If you have researched, most parrots will bute if pressed and body language not read. And as species green cheeks can be nippy. They are still wonderful loving affection parrot species. It's just Tgey are quick to use beak to correct you.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts