Attachments

• IMG_2411.png
    IMG_2411.png
    314 KB · Views: 23
OP
Y

YoungJ

Jul 11, 2023
I found a local breeder with two ekkies around 2 months old and he said the parents plucked their feathers "a bit". It looks a bit excessive to me and do you think the feather will grow back? He's asking for $2300 which is around $500 cheaper than other more reputable breeders online. So I'm not sure if it's worth taking the risk.

00606_dRfPaTNYAEg_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

Attachments

• 00i0i_aakmehFHzDJ_0t20CI_600x450.jpg
    00i0i_aakmehFHzDJ_0t20CI_600x450.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 22
  • 00S0S_abHmvzGHBKP_0t20CI_600x450.jpg
    00S0S_abHmvzGHBKP_0t20CI_600x450.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 20

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I found a local breeder with two ekkies around 2 months old and he said the parents plucked their feathers "a bit". It looks a bit excessive to me and do you think the feather will grow back? He's asking for $2300 which is around $500 cheaper than other more reputable breeders online. So I'm not sure if it's worth taking the risk.

View attachment 52908
Poor things! What a way to start life having your own parents pluck your feathers out! It almost looks like the male has some raw skin back there. They'll grow back but I wonder why the breeder didn't pull the chicks for hand feeding before it got this far.

OP
Y

YoungJ

Jul 11, 2023
I don't think he's a full time breeder and just happened to have a couple of babies. He said he was hand feeding them and now they had just started eating on their own.

Steve rizzon

Jun 19, 2023
Media
Australia
Parrots
Eclectus parrots
Amazon parrots
Macaws
Cockatiels
Budgies
I don't think he's a full time breeder and just happened to have a couple of babies. He said he was hand feeding them and now they had just started eating on their own.
They'll grow back :) and Id say pretty easily too, as it was parents who done this and not the actual ekkie..just keep ontop of the diet :)

OP
Y

YoungJ

Jul 11, 2023
Okay, that's good. That got me worried if I should get it from this breeder. He is an hour away from me so it would be better to check it out in person vs some breeders online. Here's a more recent pic taken from today. Thanks for the advice! Is there anything I should look for in person before getting him?

Attachments

• 00000_aYj6wtPSTzt_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
    00000_aYj6wtPSTzt_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 22

Steve rizzon

Jun 19, 2023
Media
Australia
Parrots
Eclectus parrots
Amazon parrots
Macaws
Cockatiels
Budgies
My real concern not the birds themselves but why the breeder seen this happening and didn't remove them from the parents to avoid any more of this behaviour, they are only young so they have plenty of time to repair,just need someone thats willing to bring them back to feather and care for them which I'm sure you are very capable of doing.just you being on this site asking questions is more then what the breeder has already done :)

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
IMG_0708.jpeg

Meet Nico! I got him for free. I volunteered at a shelter, and the lady that ran the shelter gave him to me. The only requirement was that he needed to be seen by a vet, and that I would never rehome him. The shelter wanted him back if it didn’t work out.

Do as much research as possible before adopting, or purchasing an Ekkie. What you get with a baby Ekkie, and a matured one will be very different. I made the mistake of not educating myself before adopting Nico.

KenjiCC

Jul 15, 2023
Parrots
Eclectus
Hi, I'm trying to purchase an Eclectus but no local bird shops have it. I did find a guy on Craigslist toselling a 2 yr old one that's not tamed for $2.2k. I've also tried BirdsNow and Birdbreeders.com but too many scammers on there and hard to tell which one is real.
How much does an Eclectus go for on average? I see prices ranging mostly from $3000-$4000. I'm in Northern California. Does anyone know where else I can buy one from a reputable breeder or shop?

Thanks
Hi there.
I was looking also and found one on my side of the country.

He has a 1 year old male Eclectus in California. He was asking $2000. Message for contact info.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Y

YoungJ

Jul 11, 2023
Hi there.
I was looking also and found one on my side of the country.

He has a 1 year old male Eclectus in California. He was asking $2000. Message for contact info.
I just bought one yesterday from birdbreeders.com for $2700 and should be getting it at the end of August or September. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Most Reactions

Latest posts