Ladybug the Eclectus—Advice?

Francie Mae

Active member
Joined
Feb 22, 2025
Messages
105
Reaction score
129
Parrots
Bare-eyed cockatoo
Summary: Brought home 4 month old female Eclectus. Seems to be adjusting well, but it’s very early. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi everyone,

I hope you’re all doing well. I’m making this post today because we brought home a new baby. Her wings are clipped (It’s sad I think, but not as sad as her flying away and being alone and exposed out in the world. With her current trim, she can still glide). She’s a four month old Eclectus; we named her Ladybug. I know—we wanted another cockatoo, so this probably seems like a big shift! But I’ll explain.

We had been planning on another Galah. My dad was in contact with someone who would probably have a baby Galah come spring, and he went to visit her location only to meet Ladybug. Ladybug took an immediate liking to my mom and dad, started chattering to them and grooming my mom. It was like she picked them, they said. My dad had already been researching other parrot breeds for some time, including Ekkies. He’s aware that they aren’t as cuddly or Velcro-y as cockatoos, but he’s liked a lot of what he’s read about them. He’s also watched quite a few videos from people with Ekkies, discussing pros and cons and what they wish they’d known before getting one. He hadn’t been expecting for his contact to have an Ekkie on site, but when he met Ladybug, he said it felt right.

I’m quite nervous to have a breed I’m not familiar with. When my parents told me they’d put a deposit down, I went into researching the breed, but I’m not as well-versed as my dad. I do trust his judgement, though, it’s just hard not to be apprehensive. At the time of me writing this, we’ve had her for less than a day. She’s eating and drinking, and seems very interested in her environment. When we talk to her she starts beak grinding, which to my understanding is universally a sign of being content across parrot-kind, but please correct me if I’m wrong. She also babbled a ton last night after we covered her cage, no words but a lot of mumbling and laughter. It went on so long my parents almost wondered if she was sleep-talking. I hope it doesn’t mean the poor thing is nervous. She seems pretty calm and unafraid of us, but I have noticed she’s been trembling. I can only see it when I look at her lower stomach area. I’m pretty worried about this. Other than that, she doesn’t retreat into her cage when we come close, and she’s been grooming my dad’s arm hair. She doesn’t want to be pet, but Grim and Mischief were the same early on, and also I know Ekkies are less fond of being pet in general.

I really want her to be happy with us, and I want to bond with her in whatever way Ekkies prefer; I know that bond will look different than a bond with a cockatoo, though, and I’m okay with that. If anyone has any advice or thoughts I’d love to hear it.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0703.webp
    IMG_0703.webp
    56.4 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
What a gorgeous girl you have there! Welcome to the flock, Ladybug! I love ekkies, though I don't have direct experience with the girls. They're... Different. Not in a negative way at all, just different.
Yes, ekkies in general aren't known for being snuggly cuddly birds, at least not in the traditional cockatoo kind of way. Most aren't fans of being pet, but if yours is, it's most likely only tolerated front to back. They usually hate having those hair like feathers out of place. "Don't mess with the do!" That being said, it doesn't mean they don't want attention and to be near you. My guy wants to be right up against my face all the time. In that regard, he's a very snuggly guy. He's also kind of an exception to the rule, and tolerates a little bit of do messing here and there. I know, I'm very lucky with him. ❤️

The girls... I'm told that they can be cage protective, and that's really the result of their normal way of life in nature. There is no set breeding season, they're opportunistic, and not monogamous. Girls find a nesting site and won't leave it, otherwise someone else will take it. They'll guard and defend it, and rely on multiple males to bring them food, in hopeful exchange for, well, you know, a little action 🙄🤣
 
She's beautiful, Francie! You should should send a DM to Amna. Her baby female eclectus Rudi just turned a year old last month.
 
Francie,
She's beautiful and it's good to hear from you
 
Fortunately she started eating and drinking on day one, our first bird, Grim the Bare-Eyed Cockatoo took a few days to eat comfortably in our presence. I have been feeding her organic Kale, Carrots, and Tops Organic, non-enriched pellets. She isn't taking to bananas or kiwi, I will try new fruits and veggies tomorrow, bell peppers and assorted berries. I have a new plan (hopefully improved) and rules to escape-proof the house, and we will harness train her sooner than later. More to come on her diet and training. Thanks everyone for the advice and well wishes. - Francies dad Pete
 
What a gorgeous girl you have there! Welcome to the flock, Ladybug! I love ekkies, though I don't have direct experience with the girls. They're... Different. Not in a negative way at all, just different.
Yes, ekkies in general aren't known for being snuggly cuddly birds, at least not in the traditional cockatoo kind of way. Most aren't fans of being pet, but if yours is, it's most likely only tolerated front to back. They usually hate having those hair like feathers out of place. "Don't mess with the do!" That being said, it doesn't mean they don't want attention and to be near you. My guy wants to be right up against my face all the time. In that regard, he's a very snuggly guy. He's also kind of an exception to the rule, and tolerates a little bit of do messing here and there. I know, I'm very lucky with him. ❤️

The girls... I'm told that they can be cage protective, and that's really the result of their normal way of life in nature. There is no set breeding season, they're opportunistic, and not monogamous. Girls find a nesting site and won't leave it, otherwise someone else will take it. They'll guard and defend it, and rely on multiple males to bring them food, in hopeful exchange for, well, you know, a little action 🙄🤣
Thank you so much for the reply and information!! I’m a bit nervous about when she starts getting hormonal, but luckily we have a few years.
 
A beautiful girl you have there. I love that inquisitive expression.
 
I remember wanting an ekkie for ages.. before I bred green cheeks! They are such brilliant birds and very unusual :D.
 
Excellent having a used toy box. Toys on sale so get extra. Toys hated today could be loved tomorrow. Toy boredom today but exciting tomorrow. I have three! One for foot, easy chew and destroy variety. One for hard chew and foraging. One for toy making. I can't leave treats or food out. #1-#10 she ain't trustworthy being unobserved. Glad you're both doing fine. Don't forget lots of verbal praises.
 
Piccolo loves to talk when he is covered. He is trying to get our attention. We here lots of laughter and Common! Let's Go, and awwwwwwww(heavily layered with disappointment that his charms aren't working to stay up later), along with whatever else he feels like talking about at the time. So very normal behavior to talk while covered. She could be trying to keep herself awake lol.
 
Back
Top Bottom