Need advice

eliam

Nov 24, 2021
Parrots
Alex - African Grey
Pica & bullie -cockatiels
Hi ,

Im a new mommy of an African grey , he is 5months old and very strong headed :)

I need your advice on clipping his wings .. i did not wanted to do it , it sound brutal to me , but he is not sleeping in his cage and generally he doesnt want to be in his cage at all he was flying around the house .. which was ok with me untill now . He is also not steeping up :) he is flying to me sitting on my head , he lets me stroke his head but thats it .:)

i have him for 1.5 month and he is quite a character :) He has destroyed my blinds ,my chandeliers, he poops literally everywhere :( although there are toys in his cage and out for him to play . These last days as we spend most of our time in the kitchen he is interested in the wires of the electrical appliances such as coffeemaker etc.

I dont want to keep him in the cage all the time (obviously he is not the kind that wants to stay..) and i dont want to isolate him in a room where he will be alone most of the time , thats not why i got him , my pets are always part of the family and our activities so i was suggested to clip his wings in order to prevent him from hurting himself in any way ...

Please please advise me what to do i am in a dilemma

Attachments

• 4B67DD60-2E01-4C0A-8543-4BF6900634DB.jpeg
    4B67DD60-2E01-4C0A-8543-4BF6900634DB.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Take all precautions to keep him safe outside the cage, work on these problems, and keep him fully flighted. Birds have wings to fly, so let him keep them.

Last edited:

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Senegal (RIP: 5/21/94-10/20/21)
Hi ,

I need your advice on clipping his wings .. i did not wanted to do it , it sound brutal to me , but he is not sleeping in his cage and generally he doesnt want to be in his cage at all he was flying around the house .. which was ok with me untill now . He is also not steeping up :) he is flying to me sitting on my head , he lets me stroke his head but thats it .:)

i have him for 1.5 month and he is quite a character :) He has destroyed my blinds ,my chandeliers, he poops literally everywhere :( although there are toys in his cage and out for him to play . These last days as we spend most of our time in the kitchen he is interested in the wires of the electrical appliances such as coffeemaker etc.

I dont want to keep him in the cage all the time (obviously he is not the kind that wants to stay..) and i dont want to isolate him in a room where he will be alone most of the time , thats not why i got him , my pets are always part of the family and our activities so i was suggested to clip his wings in order to prevent him from hurting himself in any way ...

Hi ,

Theoretically, I agree that it's always best to let our parrots fly free even though they are domesticated. However, if you are not confident to provide your bird with a "100%" risk free environment, then my opinion is to clip his flight feathers. It's best to do that when they at this young age so they could get used to walking and climbing. He could still fly a certain distance and land safely on the ground in case of an accidental fall. My 27 year old Senegal had his flight feather clipped for his whole life and had no problem emotionally and physically. It all depends how much time you devoted to your bird. My whole kitchen island was his playground, he could walk about freely and climb up the ladder onto his play stand to watch all activities. I have once lost a bird due to his wing not being clipped as I forgot to close the cage door when I took him out to catch some sun. I left his cage door opened inside the house and let him fly free. So accidents do happen.

I have posted a thread on this forum letting owners know how to use wing flapping exercise to prevent heart issues when they age. If you decided to clip his wings, make sure to do the flapping exercise regularly. My Senegal really enjoyed and excited doing the exercise.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I would not, this is a young burd , who needs to be worked with. CAG are prone to behavior issues like plucking and screaming, flight and the ability to self directed movements really decreases that.

Set up several areas around the home that are his "furniture " with things to chomp and manipulate. I find ceiling hooks with heavy weight fishing line and huge rope spirals, or swing games are cheap, don't take up floor space abd you can attach stuff. Kerp replacing him in his furniture and reward him hen there. It takes a few to several repetitions, then they get it down. the same above his cage. Some target training and foraging. Get a routine going, and teach to return to tge Cage for sleep . In home recall flight train. These big birds are kinda still babies for up to 2yrs. And a need a lot of guidance and learning from you their flock at this time. Its one if the most important times in their life! And sets them up to be a wonderful companion for the next 50 plus years. Buts it is a time that you have to invest much more work, guidance and teaching
Examples of stuff I do

Like tge soothing patterning to soft music at bed time and lots of other great tips

It can take up to two years for flight feathers to grow back

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 42416

Hi ,

I have done quite a bit of training over the past years. I absolutely believe God gave birds wings to fly… BUT, it is much faster, safer, and easier to do basic training with wings clipped. All our birds are fully flighted. I clipped their wings at the time of adoption for not only training, but also because we have large picture-frame windows around the house and they needed to learn window safety. When properly clipped, they should still be able to go short distances, just not gain lift with flight. Basic training includes “step-up” on hands and/or perch, recall, and going in the cage when WE need them to. This should all easily be accomplished (if not other tricks too) by the time their primary feathers grow back with next molt. Ours all grew back their primaries by 6 months post clip.

I realize this is a very controversial subject and I only believe in clipping for short term training. That said, not every parrot is amenable to “toilet training”. With bird ownership, one has to accept 3 things for sure: 1. that poos will happen 2. certain furniture or wood molding (or head phones, cell phones) may get ruined 3. They will bite.

It’s just part of being a parront….but the rewards are sooooo worth it.

Good luck with your new baby and happy training!

Last edited by a moderator:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Adolescent African Grey, 6 month is kinda of testing

Extra caution, if you are considering wing trim. As a flighted burd, now nit able to fly can have some falls that break keel, or cause feather chewing/ destruction. So a light trim and careful care
And things to watch out for

Last edited:
OP
eliam

eliam

Nov 24, 2021
Parrots
Alex - African Grey
Thank you all for your advises ..... so another question if i do take him for a light trim, will he hate me after that ?what is the best way to make him easy for him .. when i first got him he would not even come close to me and now we have made progress , he seats near me and we are playing together with different toys and he lets me scratch his head .. im afraid we will go back on our progress:(

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Senegal (RIP: 5/21/94-10/20/21)
Thank you all for your advises ..... so another question if i do take him for a light trim, will he hate me after that ?what is the best way to make him easy for him .. when i first got him he would not even come close to me and now we have made progress , he seats near me and we are playing together with different toys and he lets me scratch his head .. im afraid we will go back on our progress:(
I don't think so from my own experience. Normally will become more mellow and less arrogant as he depends on you to take him to other areas in the house besides his cage and play areas. As suggested by Beak-Beak-Kiss it will be easier to train using the opportunity.

OP
eliam

eliam

Nov 24, 2021
Parrots
Alex - African Grey
I don't think so from my own experience. Normally will become more mellow and less arrogant as he depends on you to take him to other areas in the house besides his cage and play areas. As suggested by Beak-Beak-Kiss it will be easier to train using the opportunity.
Thank you so much , im so happy to be in this forum.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Welcome!! and your african grey is so cute. Cage training can be frustrating. What I did was put a parrot stand where the family is the most. This is where my parrot is during the day. The stand has a food, and water bowl. This is where I also feed my parrot, give him treats, do his training, and so on. He now associates his parrot stand with fun, and where he goes during the day. I put his cage in a quiet room, and this is where my parrot goes to sleep. This did become routine for my parrot, and he actually whines to go to his cage at times now. Especially in the evening when he is tired, and wants to go to sleep. I hope this helps you.

OP
eliam

eliam

Nov 24, 2021
Parrots
Alex - African Grey
Thank you so much I am planning to do that too but for the moment he does not like to be handle he does not step up or even if he flyies on my hand he will not stay to move him around he is very indepentand so he is flying around the house. I will get another stand too and try to apply this will let you know of the result.. xx

D

Deleted member 42416

Thank you so much I am planning to do that too but for the moment he does not like to be handle he does not step up or even if he flyies on my hand he will not stay to move him around he is very indepentand so he is flying around the house. I will get another stand too and try to apply this will let you know of the result.. xx
I would have the vet do it. Birby might be withdrawn that day, but will be back to normal affection by the next day.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Take a month, and really work on providing guidance, maybe seek a behavioral consultant. Try different approaches. This is a very critical time in his maturity. For all the ones that end up in rescues this is the time we wish we could go back too, to help the owners and birds. They are only adolescent once.

A clip can lead to more behavioral issues, like bite, like screaming, like frustration, like plucking.

Once you've tried everything. Then you won't have regrets later. If trimming ends up being your last resort.

I wish you and him the best. I just make this final plea as I feel compelled too, based in experience, research, and working with rescue. And because of his age and development stage. And because you posted asking for input .

If your mind is already made up. Then I hope it is helpful, and leads to improving your life together. Either way, I hope you continue to share your journey, and stay active on the forum. We are passionate about parrots, and there is always so much to learn and great tips here.

OP
eliam

eliam

Nov 24, 2021
Parrots
Alex - African Grey
Take a month, and really work on providing guidance, maybe seek a behavioral consultant. Try different approaches. This is a very critical time in his maturity. For all the ones that end up in rescues this is the time we wish we could go back too, to help the owners and birds. They are only adolescent once.

A clip can lead to more behavioral issues, like bite, like screaming, like frustration, like plucking.

Once you've tried everything. Then you won't have regrets later. If trimming ends up being your last resort.

I wish you and him the best. I just make this final plea as I feel compelled too, based in experience, research, and working with rescue. And because of his age and development stage. And because you posted asking for input .

If your mind is already made up. Then I hope it is helpful, and leads to improving your life together. Either way, I hope you continue to share your journey, and stay active on the forum. We are passionate about parrots, and there is always so much to learn and great tips here.
Hi thank you for your input , i want to hear all sides and im considering and trying all option thats why i have asked for the after behavior .
Im leaving in a island called Cyprus and there is only one Vet in another city (so im thnking also about the trip with the car , if it will upset him but i want take him anyway for a check up)and i havent heard of a consultant on birds behaviour here. Such resources are not quite developed here for the moment thats why i joined your foroum.
A big thank you to all taking the time to give me advise

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 111

Most Reactions

Latest posts