Never had a parrot before, which type should I get?

Truepacifist

Jan 28, 2023
Parrots
I don't have a parrot yet but I want to get one and learn about them first
Hi I'm new to the forum and have joined to decide which parrot to get. I have a budget of $1500 for initial expenses (the parrot plus cage) and 2 bunny rabbits, who are very senior, Alice and Peter. I live alone but don't own my house.

I was thinking of a smaller species but I heard budgies, lovebirds and cockatiels aren't very smart and can't learn many tricks. So I was thinking of a grey, an Indian ringneck or an eclectus.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Remember that not every parrot (even these bigger like CAG or eclectus) learns tricks - writing just in case because I've seen such posts like "My parrot doesn't talk/doesn't do tricks and I wanna rehome it" - it doesn't work so, if you want just for it, better don't get it.

Don't take me wrong, I wrote it just in case, now if you are sure it's not the only reason - have you been considering Pyrhura conures such as green cheek? They are similar size of cockatiels but some people say their intelligence is similar to bigger parrots (not saying that other parrots aren't smart because they are smart in own way)

Of course the final choice is up to, you have to consider advantages and disadvantages of the considering species, others may help with other kinds

OP
Truepacifist

Truepacifist

Jan 28, 2023
Parrots
Remember that not every parrot (even these bigger like CAG or eclectus) learns tricks - writing just in case because I've seen such posts like "My parrot doesn't talk/doesn't do tricks and I wanna rehome it" - it doesn't work so, if you want just for it, better don't get it.

Don't take me wrong, I wrote it just in case, now if you are sure it's not the only reason - have you been considering Pyrhura conures such as green cheek? They are similar size of cockatiels but some people say their intelligence is similar to bigger parrots (not saying that other parrots aren't smart because they are smart in own way)

Of course the final choice is up to, you have to consider advantages and disadvantages of the considering species, others may help with other kinds
Hi thanks for the response

The reason I want a parrot is because I want a pet which isn't all over you like a dog and is more introverted but is also more easily trained than a cat. Also I'm slightly allergic to cat and dog dander and I heard birds can be good for people who have pet allergies.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank you for joining ParrotForums to gather information regarding possible adding a Parrot to your family.
Parrots are unlike anything you have any experience with.
IMHO, it is best to provide your free time to a Parrot Rescue starting at the bottom cleaning floor and cages, then on to cleaning and feeding, then on to getting and avoiding bites. During this experience you will be faced with all types of Parrots and also find why they are given-up.
You will also find, which Parrot, for whatever reason, likes you. Liking you, (choosing you) is far more important than what you think you want! With Parrots, it is all about building a trust bond and their choosing you goes a very long way to having that happen.
So, find a local rescue and get you hands, dirty as it will be the fastest way to determining where these very smart creature will create a spot in your heart.

Warning every Parrot is different and that is species to species and Parrot to Parrot. Some will choose to be all over you, another will not. some will be interested in learning 'tricks' others not. Some will talk-up a storm, while others will scream. Again, letting them choose helps greatly.

Human wish lists are rarely helpful!

Last edited:
OP
Truepacifist

Truepacifist

Jan 28, 2023
Parrots
Thank you for join ParrotForums to gather information regarding possible adding a Parrot to your family.
Parrots are unlike anything you have any experience with.
IMHO, it is best to provide your free time to a Parrot Rescue starting at the bottom cleaning floor and cages, then on to cleaning and feeding, then on to getting and avoiding bites. During this experience you will be faced with all types of Parrots and also find why they are given-up.
You will also find, which Parrot, for whatever reason, likes you. Liking you, (choosing you) is far more important than what you think you want! With Parrots, it is all about building a trust bond and their choosing you goes a very long way to having that happen.
So, find a local rescue and get you hands, dirty as it will be the fastest way to determining where these very smart creature will create a spot in your heart.

Warning every Parrot is different and that is species to species and Parrot to Parrot. Some will choose to be all over you, another will not. some will be interested in learning 'tricks' others not. Some will talk-up a storm, while others will scream. Again, letting them choose helps greatly.

Human wish lists are rarely helpful!
There are no parrot rescue anywhere near me

OP
Truepacifist

Truepacifist

Jan 28, 2023
Parrots
Parrot Pet Store?
Avian Vet?
Really there are only breeders or people looking to rehome but there are tonnes and tonnes of ads online for my area for unwanted parrots, I saw a conure for sale just now for $120 I think called a green cheek and she is described
Rosie is semi tame she is 3 years old ,
She is clean & healthy
She hasn’t had a mate for a long time and hasn’t bred
She is ready to bred or have as a pet
She loves to dance and loves having a chat

Many are like this under age of 5 often year old

OP
Truepacifist

Truepacifist

Jan 28, 2023
Parrots
Maybe a macaw?

"Our stunning baby macaw is ready for its new loving and caring new home, this baby has been hand reared around children and other pets and therefore he is silly tame extra cuddly and loves to be handled by everyone. He never ever bites loves to play around a play box and loves to interact with everybody in the house. Taking deposits now"

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well, the Macaw is way over your budget as Macaw cages are in the upper range of yours.

You need to determine if you have one or more Avian (Parrot) Vets, as cat and dog vets do not have the training to care for you Parrot when (not if) it becomes ill. If you have zero Avian Vet care, what plan to you have in place for Vet care?

What region in this World are you located as that will help creating in understand what you are faced with. If in the US ever what State will help greatly.

FYI: far more than half of the Parrot adds you are seeing are from very questionable sources and sales of pets in general and Parrots in specific are filled with scammers and other ugly folks. As you can see, I'm from Western Michigan and we have only a few Avian Vets in our area.

OP
Truepacifist

Truepacifist

Jan 28, 2023
Parrots
Well, the Macaw is way over your budget as Macaw cages are in the upper range of yours.

You need to determine if you have one or more Avian (Parrot) Vets, as cat and dog vets do not have the training to care for you Parrot when (not if) it becomes ill. If you have zero Avian Vet care, what plan to you have in place for Vet care?

What region in this World are you located as that will help creating in understand what you are faced with. If in the US ever what State will help greatly.

FYI: far more than half of the Parrot adds you are seeing are from very questionable sources and sales of pets in general and Parrots in specific are filled with scammers and other ugly folks. As you can see, I'm from Western Michigan and we have only a few Avian Vets in our area.
I am in Canada

OP
Truepacifist

Truepacifist

Jan 28, 2023
Parrots
How much time do parrots need a day. I would be able to let them out their cage for at least 6 hours a day once I'm home from work but I'd be busy and having to do other stuff like laundry or working on my hobbies so are they OK to be out on a stand somewhere with a toy or do I need to be actively playing with them the whole time. Also I'm okay with noise but I'm a light sleeper so do parrots scream at night

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I do not want to steer you to any specific Parrot, but all of them are smart and anyone that states that any Parrot is dumb does not know anything about Parrots. Their minds operate much faster than ours and are more basic so they are not fighting different segments to react. By the time we see a danger, they are already moving.
As an all around good choice in the small Parrot group, I like cockatiels. Just my opinion, but understand that I am an Amazon Snob and you are not ready for an Amazon, let alone a Macaw. Other would not agree as every Parrot has their following.
I will say that your expectations and the needs of a Parrot is not a great mix as they should have far more one on one time. Sad to say, but you will likely to be happier with a cat as they will likely fit your expectation /wants much closer.
Canada is a wonderful place, but as you know, you have areas of vastness and very large cities.

OP
Truepacifist

Truepacifist

Jan 28, 2023
Parrots
I do not want to steer you to any specific Parrot, but all of them are smart and anyone that states that any Parrot is dumb does not know anything about Parrots. Their minds operate much faster than ours and are more basic so they are not fighting different segments to react. By the time we see a danger, they are already moving.
As an all around good choice in the small Parrot group, I like cockatiels. Just my opinion, but understand that I am an Amazon Snob and you are not ready for an Amazon, let alone a Macaw. Other would not agree as every Parrot has their following.
I will say that your expectations and the needs of a Parrot is not a great mix as they should have far more one on one time. Sad to say, but you will likely to be happier with a cat as they will likely fit your expectation /wants much closer.
Canada is a wonderful place, but as you know, you have areas of vastness and very large cities.
Amazons are so beautiful! And they talk? I'd be willing to let go some of my hobbies for the parrot if they truly need the one on one time

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I have to agree with Sailboat. A parrot doesn't seems to fit ideal pet you're looking for. They are very interactive and require time for that. They're not a decoration to look at and play with once in a while. Also, you mentioned cat and dog allergies. Birds are messy and dusty, even the species that are considered to be less so. If you have allergy issues, very frequent cleaning and air filters are a necessity. They're NOT hypoallergenic animals.

As mentioned above, best recommendation I can offer is to find a way to spend time with parrots so you have a good understanding of the daily life with one before you jump in. Sadly, many people don't do their homework, and that's largely why you see so many parrots out there being rehomed.

OP
Truepacifist

Truepacifist

Jan 28, 2023
Parrots
I have to agree with Sailboat. A parrot doesn't seems to fit ideal pet you're looking for. They are very interactive and require time for that. They're not a decoration to look at and play with once in a while. Also, you mentioned cat and dog allergies. Birds are messy and dusty, even the species that are considered to be less so. If you have allergy issues, very frequent cleaning and air filters are a necessity. They're NOT hypoallergenic animals.

As mentioned above, best recommendation I can offer is to find a way to spend time with parrots so you have a good understanding of the daily life with one before you jump in. Sadly, many people don't do their homework, and that's largely why you see so many parrots out there being rehomed.
Seems like parrots aren't for me :( I'm very disappointed as they seem really interesting but I guess I couldn't provide them the right care. Thanks for the help

OP
Truepacifist

Truepacifist

Jan 28, 2023
Parrots
Maybe I could just get some untamed budgies so they keep each other company and chatter while I provide a good big enclosure for them.

OP
Truepacifist

Truepacifist

Jan 28, 2023
Parrots

While our feathered friends don’t have fur, they do produce dander. However, birds are generally considered a safe choice for those with allergies. “Even people who are very sensitive to cats and dogs rarely have an issue with birds,” says Dr. Patel.

For those who are especially sensitive, Dr. Patel recommends the following bird species. In addition to having less dander, their petite size reduces other possible triggers.

Canaries

Finches

Parakeets

Is this true

OP
Truepacifist

Truepacifist

Jan 28, 2023
Parrots
I'm happy with interaction but I HATE interacting with cuddly animals or animals that jump on you because of my autism so I can't have a parrot if they need to be touched all the time

My rabbits will sit in my lap but they're elderly so they don't jump on me which I can't stand

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi I'm new to the forum and have joined to decide which parrot to get. I have a budget of $1500 for initial expenses (the parrot plus cage) and 2 bunny rabbits, who are very senior, Alice and Peter. I live alone but don't own my house.

I was thinking of a smaller species but I heard budgies, lovebirds and cockatiels aren't very smart and can't learn many tricks. So I was thinking of a grey, an Indian ringneck or an eclectus.
I've had Budgies, cockatiels and a cockatoo, and it's not true that Budgies are not that intelligent! The world record talking bird is (or at least was) a male Budgie that "spoke" over 1700 words! Budgies are VERY intelligent, can be trained, and bond closely to their humans. Plus they are affordable, beautiful, playful, not too loud and messy, and independent enough not to suffer excessively from separation anxiety. They very rarely pluck their own feathers out when not given enough attention, but they do need lots of attention to thrive, and they aren't potentially dangerous like some large parrots that can inflict a pretty substantial bite. Budgies don't require an enormous expensive cage- 30x18x24 is perfect for one Budgie. Only drawback with Budgies is that once they outgrow babyhood at six months or so most of them do not like to be petted or cuddled even when they were hand raised.
I don't think you can get a grey, an eclectus, or an Indian ringneck for $1,500 unless you adopt an older bird which may have behavioral problems that may be difficult to deal with if you lack experience with parrots. A hand raised fully weaned "baby" is ideal for a new parrot owner, but baby greys, eclectus, and ringnecks usually cost several thousand dollars, not including a 36x36x36 cage which runs at least $500 new. Also consider how long a larger parrot can live (30+ years is typical). If you are over 50 your bird may outlive you requiring you make arrangements for it's care after you pass. A healthy Budgie can live 10 to 15 years which may be better for you.
A hand fed baby green cheeked conure or sun conure would be an excellent midsized parrot for someone craving the "big bird" experience. They make amazing companion birds and for $1,500 you can get yourself a hand fed baby plus the 36x24x24 cage they require. Hand fed cockatiels are also delightful larger small parrots and are well within your budget for a baby. They bond very strongly to their humans and although they aren't great talkers they can whistle entire songs, especially the males. They can retain their love of head scratches and being petted more than Budgies usually do, and they are very easy going, affectionate, and not too loud and messy. They can live over 20 years.
I don't recommend a cockatoo. I had a Goffin's Cockatoo and he was emotionally extremely high maintenance and not in a good way.
I don't know much about lovebirds so I can't say.
I hope you find the right bird for you. Take your time because adopting a bird is a huge commitment and you want both you and your bird to have many happy years together!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I've had Budgies, cockatiels and a cockatoo, and it's not true that Budgies are not that intelligent! The world record talking bird is (or at least was) a male Budgie that "spoke" over 1700 words! Budgies are VERY intelligent, can be trained, and bond closely to their humans. Plus they are affordable, beautiful, playful, not too loud and messy, and independent enough not to suffer excessively from separation anxiety. They very rarely pluck their own feathers out when not given enough attention, but they do need lots of attention to thrive, and they aren't potentially dangerous like some large parrots that can inflict a pretty substantial bite. Budgies don't require an enormous expensive cage- 30x18x24 is perfect for one Budgie. Only drawback with Budgies is that once they outgrow babyhood at six months or so most of them do not like to be petted or cuddled even when they were hand raised.
I don't think you can get a grey, an eclectus, or an Indian ringneck for $1,500 unless you adopt an older bird which may have behavioral problems that may be difficult to deal with if you lack experience with parrots. A hand raised fully weaned "baby" is ideal for a new parrot owner, but baby greys, eclectus, and ringnecks usually cost several thousand dollars, not including a 36x36x36 cage which runs at least $500 new. Also consider how long a larger parrot can live (30+ years is typical). If you are over 50 your bird may outlive you requiring you make arrangements for it's care after you pass. A healthy Budgie can live 10 to 15 years which may be better for you.
A hand fed baby green cheeked conure or sun conure would be an excellent midsized parrot for someone craving the "big bird" experience. They make amazing companion birds and for $1,500 you can get yourself a hand fed baby plus the 36x24x24 cage they require. Hand fed cockatiels are also delightful larger small parrots and are well within your budget for a baby. They bond very strongly to their humans and although they aren't great talkers they can whistle entire songs, especially the males. They can retain their love of head scratches and being petted more than Budgies usually do, and they are very easy going, affectionate, and not too loud and messy. They can live over 20 years.
I don't recommend a cockatoo. I had a Goffin's Cockatoo and he was emotionally extremely high maintenance and not in a good way.
I don't know much about lovebirds so I can't say.
I hope you find the right bird for you. Take your time because adopting a bird is a huge commitment and you want both you and your bird to have many happy years together!
I just re-read your message and since you don't want to cuddle with your bird a Budgie would be great. A cockatoo would be an absolute nightmare! Conures don't demand cuddling either and will give you the Big Bird experience for a reasonable price.

Most Reactions

Latest posts