Never had a parrot before, which type should I get?

OP
Truepacifist

Truepacifist

Jan 28, 2023
Parrots
I don't have a parrot yet but I want to get one and learn about them first
Congrats!! And welcome home little one. Do you have a name yet? Keep her on the same food she is used to for now. You can start mixing in the food you want to change her to to in about a week or so depending on how she is settling in and eating.
I'm thinking Nina, after my favourite book Anna Karenina? Or Kitty from the same book and also pride and prejudice.

OP
Truepacifist

Truepacifist

Jan 28, 2023
Parrots
Update: this morning she tried some of the chop I'd prepared and ate a few slivers of almond out of my hand! Isn't moving much within her cage but explored some of the perches a bit. I'm taking it slow and just talking next to her a lot. She seems really interested in watching my bunnies and gets noticeably excited seeing them hop about!

OP
Truepacifist

Truepacifist

Jan 28, 2023
Parrots
So Kitty came out of her cage by herself today, and crashed straight into the wall... well, wall/floor. She tried to fly and fell like a rock :(

She isn't hurt thankfully as she didn't manage to pick up any speed of force due to the clip, but she does keep trying to fly places and seems frustrated she can't. It makes me think she was allowed to fledge and would be a frequent flier without the clip. Is there any way to keep her safer until it grows out?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
So Kitty came out of her cage by herself today, and crashed straight into the wall... well, wall/floor. She tried to fly and fell like a rock :(

She isn't hurt thankfully as she didn't manage to pick up any speed of force due to the clip, but she does keep trying to fly places and seems frustrated she can't. It makes me think she was allowed to fledge and would be a frequent flier without the clip. Is there any way to keep her safer until it grows out?
I think its a good thing Kitty (cute!) was clipped because she could easily get hurt crashing into something. Now you can use this opportunity to show her that you will be her rescuer when she needs help getting up off the floor or from point A to point B. Keep a close eye on her when she's out of her cage, which should be as often as possible. Enjoy just sitting with her on your hand or arm or close by on a play stand. Watch TV together and talk to her. Give her lots of treats from your hand only so she learns that hands are good, and lots of toys so she learns to entertain herself. Enjoy your new baby! She's dependent on you for everything.

OP
Truepacifist

Truepacifist

Jan 28, 2023
Parrots
I think its a good thing Kitty (cute!) was clipped because she could easily get hurt crashing into something. Now you can use this opportunity to show her that you will be her rescuer when she needs help getting up off the floor or from point A to point B. Keep a close eye on her when she's out of her cage, which should be as often as possible. Enjoy just sitting with her on your hand or arm or close by on a play stand. Watch TV together and talk to her. Give her lots of treats from your hand only so she learns that hands are good, and lots of toys so she learns to entertain herself. Enjoy your new baby! She's dependent on you for everything.
Thing is I feel like she's crashing because she was clipped, as she was already 1 year old when I got her. Not the other way round. She's used to flying to get places.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Thing is I feel like she's crashing because she was clipped, as she was already 1 year old when I got her. Not the other way round. She's used to flying to get places.
Possible if she's crashing down, but if she's hitting windows or walls, that's different. Flying around the cage is different than free roam of the house/room. If that's happening, if she'll hang out on your hand or arm, you might try walking around with her and showing her all the windows, mirrors, glass doors, etc. one at a time. Kind of like giving her the grand tour, but showing her where the hard surfaces and boundaries are. Take her right up to each one, explain what it is, and let her explore by touching or tapping her beak to them. I always do that with mine when they're new, and then continue every so often to reinforce the knowledge. Even then, accidents can still happen, so window coverings (curtains, blinds, sheers...) are the safest go-to.

Last edited:
OP
Truepacifist

Truepacifist

Jan 28, 2023
Parrots
Possible if she's crashing down, but if she's hitting windows or walls, that's different. Flying around the cage is different than free roam of the house/room. If that's happening, if she'll hang out on your hand or arm, you might try walking around with her and showing her all the windows, mirrors, glass doors, etc. one at a time. Kind of like giving her the grand tour, but showing her where the hard surfaces and boundaries are. Take her right up to each one, explain what it is, and let her explore by touching or tapping her beak to them. I always do that with mine when they're new, and then continue every so often to reinforce the knowledge. Even then, accidents can still happen, so window coverings (curtains, blinds, sheers...) are the safest go-to.
I did this and it seems to be helping. When I introduced the window she began tapping on it over and over, seemed really amazed by it? Lol. Yes she does crash downwards. She aims for the tops of counter and doesn't quite reach and ends up just crashing into the wall under the counter or into cabinets

Most Reactions