New and old conure getting to know each other??

gibson2503

Jul 11, 2013
Media
Indiana
Parrots
Apollo (8 years old Sunday conure), and Ari (7 years old jenday conure) and Cosmo 9 years old goffins cockatoo). All DNA tested females.
We have a sun conure who is 3 years old and has been with us since he was 3 months old. His name is Apollo. Just brought home another sun conure last night whose name is Ari. Ari is 8 months old. They slept in separate cages overnight. Off and on last night before bed time, and again today, they will occasionally get into it for a second or two. Sometimes it's Apollo coming up to Ari and grabbing Ari's tail feathers with his beak and Ari snapping back. Sometimes it's Ari picking at Apollo first and Apollo snapping back. It never lasts for more than a couple of seconds at a time. What do you guys think? Are they just getting to know each other and I should just give them time? Or is it worse?:orange::orange:

OP
gibson2503

gibson2503

Jul 11, 2013
Media
Indiana
Parrots
Apollo (8 years old Sunday conure), and Ari (7 years old jenday conure) and Cosmo 9 years old goffins cockatoo). All DNA tested females.
Just checking

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Sounds like it might just be a pecking order adjustment/sibling rivalry, as long as they seem to be getting along otherwise, they should be able to work things out themselves, though they are perpetual two year olds, parront oversight is always a good idea.....

Good luck.....

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Hard to say without seeing the interaction. Tail pulling usually isn't tolerated. So, that would fall under sibling rivalry...

BUT my CAG and my red fronted macaw play the got your tail game all the time on the big playstand, and have since they were both very young. To them it's a form of play, or a way to initialize play...

Early on, when I thought they were "arguing" they would both stop and look at me like "What?!" and then go right back to playing... with those two it's just play.

When my two macaws do this, it's a jealousy (and retribution) thing... and they aren't playing.

So it kind of depends on the context.

Most Reactions