new baby questions & experiences

birdiemama

May 11, 2020
Las Vegas
Parrots
Doobie, a Pineapple Green Cheek Conure baby about 6 weeks old (on May 11, 2020)
Hello, I have a 5 to 6 week old baby Pineapple conure and was told to hand feed for about another week or so. My new baby doesn't have a name yet because I'm waiting to see what fits - I've only had him/her for 3 days.

It took me two days to get the feeding thing down! I didn't feel comfortable with the syringe so we use a spoon and it is going just fine. I bought a thermometer to be sure the food temperature is correct. I also just figured out what the "feed me" squawk is! lol. He makes a mess but sure enjoys eating.

So I put a millet spray in the cage and birdie is exploring it - not going crazy eating it all up, but sampling it often enough that he's getting the idea. I still continue to feed 3x/day. I notice when the bird is hungry he is more apt to be more bitey than usual. After feeding he is docile and makes the cutest little soft cheepy contentment noises. I also made a couple of small pieces of carrot available and it is comical to see him work at them. He holds the carrot in his beak but can't figure out how to grab it with his foot. Pretty darn cute!

I am new to hand feeding but feel pretty confident that things are going okay. I don't want to force baby to wean so am taking my cues from him. It isn't too soon to introduce carrots, fresh fruit or water is it? I can't seem to find these answers anywhere else.

I'm always happy to see baby preen because it reassure me he is doing okay. I am still learning birdie language but fully anticipate him to do just fine. Since I'm off work with this Corona Virus, I have plenty of time to bond, tame/train and socialize my bird. When I have to leave the house I've been leaving the TV or radio on for company. Is that dumb?

Another question: just how many toys in the cage? I'm like a new mama here wanting my baby to be happy and have EVERYTHING!

Lastly, on the subject of bonding. This little bird wants to be ON me ALL the time! I am trying to work with him to stay on top of the cage until I want him to come to me but he flies over anyway. So I put him back and he flies over. It is now a game so I had to change my rules... now when I see him pointing and looking like he's gonna take off, I put my hand out so he can fly to it. Seems to be working, but he isn't going to stay on that cage if he doesn't want to. lol It will take time.

How much squawking is normal? Most of the time my bird is fairly quiet. Perhaps he is still adjusting to his new home. And he seems to sleep a lot. Is that normal? I don't quite know what normal is yet.

Anyway, thanks for reading. If you have had any experiences like these and have any suggestions I'd be happy to read them. :green:

Attachments

• ConureOnHead.jpg
    ConureOnHead.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 109

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
It isn't too soon to introduce carrots, fresh fruit or water is it?
Not sure about conure feeding schedule, but if you haven't read this whole thread, http://www.parrotforums.com/breeding-raising-parrots/74363-so-you-bought-unweaned-baby.html, you should! It'll definitely help understanding about introducing foods and water and adjusting frequency of feedings and really overall following abundance feeding.

When I have to leave the house I've been leaving the TV or radio on for company. Is that dumb?
Completely fine. Many people do. Our boy (an ekkie) doesn't care, so we don't always, depends on his mood. I do notice, however, that certain sounds upset him, so I lean more to not doing that (but again, he's an ekkie and a sensitive soul haha).

just how many toys in the cage?
You want to keep enough space for him to stretch his wings out fully. I also make sure there is space for the bird to do a flighted hop from one branch to another. So hang the toys accordingly. Some trainers feel like you should only keep toys inside that the bird engages with, otherwise it just becomes something in their way; I rotate toys in and out, leaving his current favourites in there and shuffling the rest. You might find that their interests in different toys ebbs and flows. Yours is a baby, so you might have to let him explore and occasionally step in to show him how to play with the different toys.

Just a heads-up, depending on the age/maturity of your baby, it may be some time before he can move into an adult cage.

on the subject of bonding. This little bird wants to be ON me ALL the time! I am trying to work with him to stay on top of the cage until I want him to come to me but he flies over anyway. So I put him back and he flies over. It is now a game so I had to change my rules... now when I see him pointing and looking like he's gonna take off, I put my hand out so he can fly to it. Seems to be working, but he isn't going to stay on that cage if he doesn't want to. lol It will take time.
Eventually you can begin on clicker training, target training, and recall training. Don't feel the need to rush this, especially since he is still on formula. I'll attach some links on how to do the above training later.

How much squawking is normal?
This is dependent on the individual birds as well as their life stage and their training. Puberty often brings the sound out of them. Babies often mostly cry for food or comfort, but otherwise quiet-ish compared to those puberty times. Adults are often based on training - whenever your bird makes a 'nice' sound, reward with attention or a treat, and whenever he makes a 'bad' sound, just ignore (unless of course, a food call).

And he seems to sleep a lot. Is that normal?
He is a baby, so he will sleep more than an adult bird. That being said, this lack of awareness of what is normal in terms of behaviour is precisely why people should not buy unweaned birds. If he is sleeping too much, it could be a sign that he is very ill, but an untrained eye wouldn't be able to tell (then they often come to the forums asking why their baby bird died).
Please find an avian vet and keep in touch with them. Read extensively about crop burn, crop stasis, and more. Any slightest concern about their health, reach out asap. Time is of the essence with birds because they hide their symptoms so well. Some birds died within 24 hours of their humans noticing what may be 'small' symptoms for mammals but very big symptoms for avians.

OP
B

birdiemama

May 11, 2020
Las Vegas
Parrots
Doobie, a Pineapple Green Cheek Conure baby about 6 weeks old (on May 11, 2020)
Charmed, thank you for your response, it is very helpful. I read SilverSages 'unweaned baby' post and it was like a horror novel! It made me angry too. Well, it's too late now - he's mine and all I can only say is that I will do my very best and be most conscientious. We don't like ugly endings so your advice is well taken. Thank you.

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
As far as him/her flying to you all the time...better get used to it. My Pineapple is a little over two and he follows me everywhere. I posted about this also awhile ago. I built him a big playground and he never would stay on it.
He does a lot better now though. If he flies to me, I put him back...and back...and back...and.......
He eventually stays for awhile. But if I leave the room, here he comes.

I also leave a radio in for him when I go out. Many people do this so donā€™t feel itā€™s wrong. In fact I will leave a YouTube video on usually of nature scenes and forests. Talk about spoiled...

When my Pie was a baby he would literally lay on his back in my hands and sleep for an hour or so in the afternoon. That was amazing. He now goes to bed at 8:00 and up at 7:00-8:00.

As far as squawking, all depends. At two, Buddy is a bit louder but not annoyingly. But he usually squawks louder in the morning because he wants out.

Keep trying with the out time and keep putting him back. Heā€™ll eventually stay longer and longer.

Good luck!

Most Reactions