New Barraband parrot

Libbi24

Aug 23, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hi,
I have exciting news. On a whim me and my partner visited a local rescue in London and I stumbled across this young barraband parrot that needed rehoming. Safe to say I brought him home! I took one look at him and absolutely fell in love. Heā€™s just under a year old, but already has begun to grow his colourful feathers and seems quite comfortable and confident despite everything changing for him.
I just wanted to ask because Iā€™m a little unsure. He is in a big flight cage with loads of toys and different perches. But he wants to be out of the cage constantly (which is fine by me) however I do mostly work from home but do occasionally have to go into the office. How can I make him more comfortable with being in the cage? I live in an apartment as well and heā€™s definitely not a screamer or is very loud when he starts chirping but I want to make sure he feels safe and comfortable within his cage.
I have a rescue cockatiel who has a separate cage next to him and I thought possibly just having her near by might make him feel more comfortable as she loves her cage but that hasnā€™t seemed to work.
If anyone has any tips Iā€™d really appreciate it! <3
54720425-D0C7-4500-A4BA-0F92B61D4E31.jpeg
7CD69E06-05CD-4DE6-8FA9-40612768D48F.jpeg
6F03C2A2-6BB9-468E-B96F-CD826A34A089.jpeg
9228DEF1-B821-4F23-893B-C95141EDFAE2.jpeg

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi,
I have exciting news. On a whim me and my partner visited a local rescue in London and I stumbled across this young barraband parrot that needed rehoming. Safe to say I brought him home! I took one look at him and absolutely fell in love. Heā€™s just under a year old, but already has begun to grow his colourful feathers and seems quite comfortable and confident despite everything changing for him.
I just wanted to ask because Iā€™m a little unsure. He is in a big flight cage with loads of toys and different perches. But he wants to be out of the cage constantly (which is fine by me) however I do mostly work from home but do occasionally have to go into the office. How can I make him more comfortable with being in the cage? I live in an apartment as well and heā€™s definitely not a screamer or is very loud when he starts chirping but I want to make sure he feels safe and comfortable within his cage.
I have a rescue cockatiel who has a separate cage next to him and I thought possibly just having her near by might make him feel more comfortable as she loves her cage but that hasnā€™t seemed to work.
If anyone has any tips Iā€™d really appreciate it! <3 View attachment 53775View attachment 53776View attachment 53777View attachment 53778
What a gorgeous birdie!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi,
If anyone has any tips Iā€™d really appreciate it! <3 View attachment 53775View attachment 53776View attachment 53777View attachment 53778

Congrats on your beautiful new baby! I have recently become the custodian of a princess parrot, which belongs to the same polytelis genus as the barraband, so I am wondering if they have a similar temperament? My princess, whose name is Peach, is a sweet, loveable, somewhat mischievous and goofy girl of probably 9 or 10 months old by now - I'm not sure how old she was when i got her but that's my and her vet's best guess. Peach isn't crazy about being caged either, but I'm a housewife these days so she does spend the majority of her day free-range around the house. She will make a bit of a fuss initially when I *do* have to cage her, but when she's in there she enjoys things that she can hang upside down from and/or chew on, and she really likes toys that she can shred as well. She's occupied pretty well with things like that, and she'll nap for a bit and then she's usually fine until I can let her out again. Peach LOOOOOOVES her fresh veg and can't get enough of things like broccolini, lettuce, celery, bok choy, ANYTHING green and leafy she will really go to town on and eat and shred and toss around to her heart's content! So I think if you provide your bird with those sorts of things she should hopefully tolerate a bit of cage time. Having your 'tiel close by will certainly help a lot too, Peach shares a cage with my budgie, and she has my two 'tiels and lorikeet who are in separate cages and enjoys their company as well.

Again, congrats on your new baby, I think he should do very well with you! Oh and have you given him a name yet btw?

Last edited:

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
He is beautiful! Congrats! Playing music or putting on cartoons for them when you leave can help. Iā€™d try focusing on foraging toys if you know what types of food and treats he likes. Foraging is a great way to keep a bird busy and a busy bird is a happy bird. Planet Pleasures has some great foraging toys you can stuff with treats.

You could also set up a little camera to check on them when you leave if it will make you feel better. I do with my bird :)

OP
Libbi24

Libbi24

Aug 23, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
Congrats on your beautiful new baby! I have recently become the custodian of a princess parrot, which belongs to the same polytelis genus as the barraband, so I am wondering if they have a similar temperament? My princess, whose name is Peach, is a sweet, loveable, somewhat mischievous and goofy girl of probably 9 or 10 months old by now - I'm not sure how old she was when i got her but that's my and her vet's best guess. Peach isn't crazy about being caged either, but I'm a housewife these days so she does spend the majority of her day free-range around the house. She will make a bit of a fuss initially when I *do* have to cage her, but when she's in there she enjoys things that she can hang upside down from and/or chew on, and she really likes toys that she can shred as well. She's occupied pretty well with things like that, and she'll nap for a bit and then she's usually fine until I can let her out again. Peach LOOOOOOVES her fresh veg and can't get enough of things like broccolini, lettuce, celery, bok choy, ANYTHING green and leafy she will really go to town on and eat and shred and toss around to her heart's content! So I think if you provide your bird with those sorts of things she should hopefully tolerate a bit of cage time. Having your 'tiel close by will certainly help a lot too, Peach shares a cage with my budgie, and she has my two 'tiels and lorikeet who are in separate cages and enjoys their company as well.

Again, congrats on your new baby, I think he should do very well with you! Oh and have you given him a name yet btw?
Peach sounds lovely!

I have given him a name actually! I work in an art gallery and currently weā€™re doing a project on Greek paintings so I called him Hercules as Iā€™m currently writing a piece about a painting of Hercules and I thought it would be super cute to have this cute little ball of fluff be called something after a Demi - god Lol!

He sounds a lot like your Peach, Iā€™ve only had him for a full day but he loves to climb everywhere, shred paper and he just seems super inquisitive about everything. But he definitely seems a sweet heart too as when he noticed Pearly ( my cockatiel) he flew straight over to say hello, but she wasnā€™t too pleased as she is very timid with new things and people, but he backed off straight away and just sat next to her which she seemed to really appreciate as well! After a couple of hours of flying around my flat, eating veggies and throwing them at me, he napped or just chilled on top of his cage.

I think Iā€™ll deffo give a go at what you said, Iā€™m hoping if he has enough toys that he can shred and forage he might have a little chirp and settle down. Iā€™ve never owned. a Barraband parrot before and all of my previous birds settled in their cage or were quite calm. But Hercules as soon as I popped him in went almost crazy, climbing everywhere, hanging upside down. Me and Pearly were looking at him like heā€™d gone mad Lol but Iā€™m starting to think that may just be his personality!

OP
Libbi24

Libbi24

Aug 23, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
He is beautiful! Congrats! Playing music or putting on cartoons for them when you leave can help. Iā€™d try focusing on foraging toys if you know what types of food and treats he likes. Foraging is a great way to keep a bird busy and a busy bird is a happy bird. Planet Pleasures has some great foraging toys you can stuff with treats.

You could also set up a little camera to check on them when you leave if it will make you feel better. I do with my bird :)
Thank you!
He seems to enjoy millet and of course sunflower seeds so Iā€™ll definitely give that a go! <3

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Peach sounds lovely!

I have given him a name actually! I work in an art gallery and currently weā€™re doing a project on Greek paintings so I called him Hercules as Iā€™m currently writing a piece about a painting of Hercules and I thought it would be super cute to have this cute little ball of fluff be called something after a Demi - god Lol!

He sounds a lot like your Peach, Iā€™ve only had him for a full day but he loves to climb everywhere, shred paper and he just seems super inquisitive about everything. But he definitely seems a sweet heart too as when he noticed Pearly ( my cockatiel) he flew straight over to say hello, but she wasnā€™t too pleased as she is very timid with new things and people, but he backed off straight away and just sat next to her which she seemed to really appreciate as well! After a couple of hours of flying around my flat, eating veggies and throwing them at me, he napped or just chilled on top of his cage.

I think Iā€™ll deffo give a go at what you said, Iā€™m hoping if he has enough toys that he can shred and forage he might have a little chirp and settle down. Iā€™ve never owned. a Barraband parrot before and all of my previous birds settled in their cage or were quite calm. But Hercules as soon as I popped him in went almost crazy, climbing everywhere, hanging upside down. Me and Pearly were looking at him like heā€™d gone mad Lol but Iā€™m starting to think that may just be his personality!
Oh I think Hercules is a GREAT name for your little man! That's interesting about his reaction to Pearly, Peach fell madly and instantly in love with my lorikeet, Lovejoy, but unlike Hercules she did NOT take a backward step with the introductions, and she follows him everywhere and absolutely idolizes him! This is them together, they're just so stinkin' cute!!

peachlovejoy.jpeg

Peach has a rather different relationship with my 'tiels. Lovejoy doesn't really get along with them so Peach has decided she doesn't like them either - I guess cos she's Lovejoy's "girlfriend" she wants to back him up and defend him! But your Hercules sounds like he wants to be Pearly's friend though and is prepared to take things at her pace like a real little gentleman, bless him! šŸ’

OP
Libbi24

Libbi24

Aug 23, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
Oh I think Hercules is a GREAT name for your little man! That's interesting about his reaction to Pearly, Peach fell madly and instantly in love with my lorikeet, Lovejoy, but unlike Hercules she did NOT take a backward step with the introductions, and she follows him everywhere and absolutely idolizes him! This is them together, they're just so stinkin' cute!!

View attachment 53782

Peach has a rather different relationship with my 'tiels. Lovejoy doesn't really get along with them so Peach has decided she doesn't like them either - I guess cos she's Lovejoy's "girlfriend" she wants to back him up and defend him! But your Hercules sounds like he wants to be Pearly's friend though and is prepared to take things at her pace like a real little gentleman, bless him! šŸ’
Itā€™s his second day within my household and this morning he was singing and dancing! It was so cute he kind of hopped and bounced his head and he looked adorable!
I had to pop out to get some food shopping for myself and I was super nervous but I left some classical music on for him and stuffed some treats in his food. He was quiet when I left but when I returned all I could hear in my hallway was music coming from my apartment and his happy Chirps while he sang to himself :D
I also gave him his lunch today and put some more leafy greens in with his chop mix and he LOVES it. I thought itā€™d be super difficult to get him on a 70% veggie diet as he was previously on a full seed diet but he loves his chop and sprouted seeds / dried herbs. He especially LOVES to throw them at me which Iā€™ve noticed is his little game.

Thanks for the advice! I feel so much better leaving him now when I have to! <3

Attachments

• 85A096BF-0AAC-4F85-BE4E-789AF8BC8972.jpeg
    85A096BF-0AAC-4F85-BE4E-789AF8BC8972.jpeg
    394.3 KB · Views: 9

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Itā€™s his second day within my household and this morning he was singing and dancing! It was so cute he kind of hopped and bounced his head and he looked adorable!
I had to pop out to get some food shopping for myself and I was super nervous but I left some classical music on for him and stuffed some treats in his food. He was quiet when I left but when I returned all I could hear in my hallway was music coming from my apartment and his happy Chirps while he sang to himself :D
I also gave him his lunch today and put some more leafy greens in with his chop mix and he LOVES it. I thought itā€™d be super difficult to get him on a 70% veggie diet as he was previously on a full seed diet but he loves his chop and sprouted seeds / dried herbs. He especially LOVES to throw them at me which Iā€™ve noticed is his little game.

Thanks for the advice! I feel so much better leaving him now when I have to! <3
Oh that's just so cute, Peachie does the hopping and the bobbing of the head too!! I also thought I might have a lot of trouble getting Peach to eat healthy. The pet shop that I got her from had her on pellets, but she had actually been bought by someone else prior to me who had put her back on seeds, and then decided for whatever reason that they couldn't "manage" her and took her back to the shop! So I thought it would be difficult to get her eating healthy again but no, she took to the pellets and leafy green veg immediately and absolutely loves them!!

It sounds to me like Hercules is settling in very well and has landed exactly where he was meant to be - he is SO lucky to have been found by you and given such a loving home šŸ’–

Most Reactions

Latest posts