New Bird Owner and a Few Questions

FeathersandDrums

Sep 17, 2013
Missouri
Parrots
3 Budgies- Whimsy, Owl, & Waker
1 Rosie Bourke Parakeet- Birkenstock (Birkie)
Hi, my name is Caroline. Growing up I always wanted a Macaw or a Cockatoo but wasn't allowed to have any birds. I absolutely adore birds and think they are the best pets. When I moved out I lived with a room mate. She had a cockatiel and an American Budgie and I got to help care for them. Now that I am finally living on my own I decided I get a few birds of my own. Although I still would love to have a Cockatoo I know that it is best to wait until my daughter is older. I adopted two American Budgies several months ago and am still working very hard every day to earn their trust. I am a stay at home mom and am around them all the time but still it has been very challenging. I am wanting to adopt a Linnie or a Parrotlet as well but am having a very hard time deciding between the two. I am leaning more towards parrotlet.
Anyway, I am not sure the names for the color patterns of my budgies (of anyone else knows that would be great) but the one I got first is very light blue with white wings and grey markings. (He?) will sometimes get on my finger ad long as i keep my hand in the cage. The other (I named Owl) is a very grey ish blue with dark wings, black markings. Owl will cuddle with my foot but wants nothing to do with the rest of me and freaks out when I put my hand in the cage. I love them so much. And I love the movie "Rio" too. :)

-Caroline & the budgies :whiteblue::blue2:

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Hello, and welcome!

I don't know much about Linnie's, but I do know first hand about parrotlets. Mine is a 7 month old pacific green. With any bird be careful around small children. Parrotlets are lil (true parrots) but fearless birds. Their beaks are small, but when they bite, and they will - they do not let go. Males tend to be bolder and louder than females. They chatter, when they are happy, but when they are mad, let me tell you they will cuss you out (in birdie talk) you will definitely know about it. Like I said they are fearless lil buggers and they WILL take on anything they seem as a threat. It could be a cat, a dog, a person, another bird, or even your feet. Also they DONOT like things that crinkle. I don't know why, but they just don't. And they will tell you all about it.

What I like about them is they are easy to own. Mine likes to hang put in pockets. Some learn to talk. They play, bounce, hang upside down pretending to be a bat, I have proof. It's better to keep them flighted. They do require a good size cage, and they will use every inch of it. Wider than taller is better. They eat a lot so if you like salad, so to they. Lots of fresh fruit and veggies. They love millet. But millet is like potato chips. But will give her some millet but not too much. They love seeds, that can be addicting too, but in moderation. And pellets - I feel Harrison's HP fine. They look kinda like a seed and she loves it along with nutirberries.

Well I've said enough... Let someone else talk. Again welcome!

P.S. the movie Rio is a fav of mine. My Senegal hen is named Rio too :)

Last edited:
OP
F

FeathersandDrums

Sep 17, 2013
Missouri
Parrots
3 Budgies- Whimsy, Owl, & Waker
1 Rosie Bourke Parakeet- Birkenstock (Birkie)
Thanks for the advice! My daughter is 9 months and she won't be around any of my birds during their out of cage time until she is like 7 (we will see). And I am scared to death to have my yorkie around them as well. I crate her when my birds are out. How hard are Parrotlets to tame? I am having a hard time with taming my budgies.
I want a birdy to love me.

And my dogs name is Rio :p

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Thanks for the advice! My daughter is 9 months and she won't be around any of my birds during their out of cage time until she is like 7 (we will see). And I am scared to death to have my yorkie around them as well. I crate her when my birds are out. How hard are Parrotlets to tame? I am having a hard time with taming my budgies.
I want a birdy to love me.

And my dogs name is Rio :p

If you get one from a good breeder, one who will work with it like I did, they tame pretty good. When you have time go to YouTube and search for "koolaid the parrotlet" you will see some really cute videos. Or even just Parrotlets, there are some really good ones on YouTube. Our Parrotlet loves all of us, more so than my Senegal who only loves me and tolerates everyone else. :) My Sennie and P'let are NOT friends. Kiwi is always the fearless instigator.

MichelleB

Sep 13, 2013
Since buying my bird ( a red lored amazon) I have become friends with the owner of the bird store, so I visit often and I love both birds you mention, and they are both such nice birds!!! My daughter is 5 and the owner is so wonderful and would sit her in a chair and let her hold one of her linnies, this bird is amazing!!! she is so loving and my daughter is so gentle and sweet with her, I see such a sweet little friendship blossoming..before this, I had never seen or held a Linnie, but now..one of my very favorite birds!! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts