New Budgie, New Behaviors

JSyle

Mar 20, 2020
Hey, so I’m looking for opinions on what everyone things of this situation (sorry it’s a tad long):

I have had a pair of standard budgies for maybe 2 1/2 years. They are both males and housed together in a decently sized flight cage.

I never intended to get a third because I know that can mess some duo dynamics up. With that said, a bird I used to pet sit for was offered to me because his owners were getting older and just couldn’t keep up with him. So now I have an English budgie who I assumed was a male, but I’m questioning it now with the way my other boys are interacting with him (and his cere is way lighter than my other boys) and he is caged separately.
So I introduced him to my flock about 2 months ago after having him quarantined for about 2 months before I could get him to my vet for testing. Now my two standard budgies fight over the English budgie whenever they are all out. They both try to feed and groom the English budgie and will dive bomb and squabble with each other to get his attention. They still are perfectly fine with each other when the English budgie is in his cage. Well as perfectly fine as they have ever been, they just kind of exist together and follow each other around, but they don’t groom each other or snuggle or try to feed each other.

I didn’t expect this reaction because the months leading up to me bringing the English budgie home, one of my standards had started to bond with my green cheek conure and was more interested in hanging out with her than his brother. So I was kind of hoping that that one would be more interested in my gcc and my other standard would be happy to have a friend again.

I’ve added pictures of my little flock too. Yellow standard=Jerry Darker blue standard=Rick Lighter blue english=Sanchez Gcc=Slim

Attachments

• 64965EFC-4704-4AED-BA15-E6F716FB3B6B.jpeg
    64965EFC-4704-4AED-BA15-E6F716FB3B6B.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 81
  • B0CE278B-6B1A-442B-859E-370B9DAA53B6.jpeg
    B0CE278B-6B1A-442B-859E-370B9DAA53B6.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 5FD13C28-FD61-441F-835E-50627965CE2C.jpeg
    5FD13C28-FD61-441F-835E-50627965CE2C.jpeg
    408.1 KB · Views: 85
  • D977E524-DF3F-42F1-ABC1-90E7778E154C.jpeg
    D977E524-DF3F-42F1-ABC1-90E7778E154C.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 88

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
welcome to the forums where you can lear more about birdiearent your bird cute awwwwww

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
honestly 3 budgies is not the best number when you have budgies that fight over a budgie your budgie flock should be even(it should be4)
they can even end up killing each other
so you have 2 choices try training them or get a new budgie

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hey, so I’m looking for opinions on what everyone things of this situation (sorry it’s a tad long):

I have had a pair of standard budgies for maybe 2 1/2 years. They are both males and housed together in a decently sized flight cage.

I never intended to get a third because I know that can mess some duo dynamics up. With that said, a bird I used to pet sit for was offered to me because his owners were getting older and just couldn’t keep up with him. So now I have an English budgie who I assumed was a male, but I’m questioning it now with the way my other boys are interacting with him (and his cere is way lighter than my other boys) and he is caged separately.
So I introduced him to my flock about 2 months ago after having him quarantined for about 2 months before I could get him to my vet for testing. Now my two standard budgies fight over the English budgie whenever they are all out. They both try to feed and groom the English budgie and will dive bomb and squabble with each other to get his attention. They still are perfectly fine with each other when the English budgie is in his cage. Well as perfectly fine as they have ever been, they just kind of exist together and follow each other around, but they don’t groom each other or snuggle or try to feed each other.

I didn’t expect this reaction because the months leading up to me bringing the English budgie home, one of my standards had started to bond with my green cheek conure and was more interested in hanging out with her than his brother. So I was kind of hoping that that one would be more interested in my gcc and my other standard would be happy to have a friend again.

I’ve added pictures of my little flock too. Yellow standard=Jerry Darker blue standard=Rick Lighter blue english=Sanchez Gcc=Slim
Hmm, based on the pics and comparing to my own female budgies, I'd say your English budgie is female. Female budgies ceres are whiteish blue when it isn't breeding season and turn dark brown when fertile.

Most Reactions

Latest posts