New Budgie Owner! *accepting tips!*

Mar 1, 2023
Hi guys! I'm new here and got my first budgie 4 days ago I've been watching a lot of videos on them and have been getting him to warm up to me I believe he's more on the quiet side as he doesn't chirp a lot but still greets me with a stretch and a fluff. At first I was a bit scared as I've read they might not eat for 3days-2weeks in a new environment but on the second day of coming home from college he was eating. I've feed him some seeds by hand using a grape as a plate lol and he's accepted the food. He allows me to be in his space (inside the cage) and doesn't fly around franticly. I do want to hand train him so that's what I have been doing recently. Such as trying to get him porched onto my finger which he does do for a few seconds before shuffling down. Any tips for me? all advice is appreciated
-Sincerely Budgie Lover <3

Attachments

• WhatsApp Video 2023-03-01 at 9.52.12 PM.mp4
    1.3 MB
  • WhatsApp Video 2023-03-01 at 9.51.14 PM.mp4
    2 MB

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
First welcome to the parrot forum!!! where you learn how to be a parront!!!( short for bird parent)

Second, your bird is ADORABLE, I'm judging from the pictures that the cage is small you should buy a cage big enough for a bird to flap its wings freely without hitting any objects, and for the mirror, I wouldn't recommend having it there since it could mentally damage the bird but if your bird is not obsessed with the mirror not doing ( pinning eyes, acting hormonal, spending the whole time beside the mirror, etc) then the mirror should be no problem.

From the pics I see no toys, toys are really important without toys birds would be bored but sometimes it gets serious to the point where the bird gets depressed and possibly starts feather plucking especially since I see that you only have one bird which makes it more likely for the bird to be bored and get depressed, if your on a tight budget you can make homemade toys there are many tutorials on youtube on how to make bird toys (from paper, toilet paper roll, cupcake cups,etc) but if your gonna buy or make toys you should avoid: bells, chain, rope and plastic toys for the metal toys you could use stainless steel instead and the ropes instead of them you could use Manila rope, Sisal Rope, Jute Rope, and Hemp Rope those are all natural ropes you should avoid cotton since its a choking hazard and could cause crop infection.

If you have any questions on bird care or topics you don't quite understand you're free to ask me.

OP
Budgie Lover<3
Mar 1, 2023
First welcome to the parrot forum!!! where you learn how to be a parront!!!( short for bird parent)

Second, your bird is ADORABLE, I'm judging from the pictures that the cage is small you should buy a cage big enough for a bird to flap its wings freely without hitting any objects, and for the mirror, I wouldn't recommend having it there since it could mentally damage the bird but if your bird is not obsessed with the mirror not doing ( pinning eyes, acting hormonal, spending the whole time beside the mirror, etc) then the mirror should be no problem.

From the pics I see no toys, toys are really important without toys birds would be bored but sometimes it gets serious to the point where the bird gets depressed and possibly starts feather plucking especially since I see that you only have one bird which makes it more likely for the bird to be bored and get depressed, if your on a tight budget you can make homemade toys there are many tutorials on youtube on how to make bird toys (from paper, toilet paper roll, cupcake cups,etc) but if your gonna buy or make toys you should avoid: bells, chain, rope and plastic toys for the metal toys you could use stainless steel instead and the ropes instead of them you could use Manila rope, Sisal Rope, Jute Rope, and Hemp Rope those are all natural ropes you should avoid cotton since its a choking hazard and could cause crop infection.

If you have any questions on bird care or topics you don't quite understand you're free to ask me.
Honestly this was one of the biggest bird cages they had n the other one most people were getting I thought was too small he does have more space than the other cage would have given him WAY MORE thought the smaller one wouod have been cruel. I am also buying him a gf this weekend to keep him company even tho I do play with him everyday when I come home and I have also been looking for toys but most of them are plastic. But thank you for the advice and I will look out for bird cage deals. Here's his gf to be⬇ also he's not obsessed with his mirror

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230302-060254_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230302-060254_Chrome.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Snapchat-139431304.mp4
    3.7 MB

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Honestly this was one of the biggest bird cages they had n the other one most people were getting I thought was too small he does have more space than the other cage would have given him WAY MORE thought the smaller one wouod have been cruel. I am also buying him a gf this weekend to keep him company even tho I do play with him everyday when I come home and I have also been looking for toys but most of them are plastic. But thank you for the advice and I will look out for bird cage deals. Here's his gf to be⬇ also he's not obsessed with his mirror
You're welcome and oh his soon to be gf looks so adorable, yeah I understand in some countries there aren't a lot of good bird products, and for the toys, you should search( if your gonna be online shopping) "Shredding bird toys" and you may find some bird toys.

Ohh and you are aware they may breed right?

OP
Budgie Lover<3
Mar 1, 2023
You're welcome and oh his soon to be gf looks so adorable, yeah I understand in some countries there aren't a lot of good bird products, and for the toys, you should search( if your gonna be online shopping) "Shredding bird toys" and you may find some bird toys.

Ohh and you are aware they may breed right?
The people I bought them from said they wouldn't once they dont have a breeding box so I thought that was quite interesting

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
Oh well that isn't true there are many cases where the birds still breed without breeding boxes she may lay eggs in the food bowl or at the bottom of the cage( and it could break because sometimes they just lay eggs while standing on their perch) so that is quite risky.

OP
Budgie Lover<3
Mar 1, 2023
Oh well that isn't true there are many cases where the birds still breed without breeding boxes she may lay eggs in the food bowl or at the bottom of the cage( and it could break because sometimes they just lay eggs while standing on their perch) so that is quite risky.
Dang but I'm sure its in lower cases like they most likely wouldn't want to if they dont have a safe spot to put it either way I will look out for it n hope it doesnt happen also I personally don't do online shopping bt idk we'll see Main focus will be seeing if I can get a bigger cage ig to put outside most likely as my mom doesn't really want them in the house. I have him there because I can still play with him a little everyday even if I'm tired

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
Ok, that sounds great and again if you have any questions you're free to ask me.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Just be aware that trying to hand tame 2 budgies is a lot harder then trying with 1, because with 2, they have no real reason to bond with you, they have each other. It CAN be done, but it takes a lot longer and a lot more effort. And sometimes it just does not work out.

OP
Budgie Lover<3
Mar 1, 2023
Just be aware that trying to hand tame 2 budgies is a lot harder then trying with 1, because with 2, they have no real reason to bond with you, they have each other. It CAN be done, but it takes a lot longer and a lot more effort. And sometimes it just does not work out.
Yh I realized that. that's why I was going to buy a second cage n maybe put them together in the week and play with them in the weekends But since the cage I have now isn't that big I wont go buying another which is small also if anything I'll wait till I get a bigger cage to do so

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Yh I realized that. that's why I was going to buy a second cage n maybe put them together in the week and play with them in the weekends But since the cage I have now isn't that big I wont go buying another which is small also if anything I'll wait till I get a bigger cage to do so
I would wait until your first budgie is tame to get a second budgie. It can be very hard to tame a budgie that has another budgie as a companion. If you think about it, why would a budgie want to make friends with a huge, scary person when it already has a buddy of his own kind to keep him company?

OP
Budgie Lover<3
Mar 1, 2023
I would wait until your first budgie is tame to get a second budgie. It can be very hard to tame a budgie that has another budgie as a companion. If you think about it, why would a budgie want to make friends with a huge, scary person when it already has a buddy of his own kind to keep him company?
Your right on this but she's already on the way so while I'm busy with school I'll look for a bigger cage for them n when summer comes along I'll continue his tame training

Most Reactions

Latest posts