New Ekkie with Weird Poops

JSyle

Mar 20, 2020
I brought a six year old female ekkie home yesterday. There was about a three hour ride home and when we got home her poops were bright green when they hadn’t been before the ride. Do you think it’s just from stress since her poops has looked totally different when we picked her up? The poops had turned bright green before she had eaten anything but she is eating a veggie chop now (which she is eating and drinking regularly). I do have a vet appointment for her to get bloodwork done before I introduce her to my other birds but I’m hoping to get answers before then. Also the poops are still bright green.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Stress can impact droppings, but do keep an eye on them because sometimes stress will lower the immune system and cause dormant viruses/bacteria etc to "flare" up.

Remember, blood work won't tell you about certain viruses, so the 45 day quarantine is still important because during that adjustment period, they are most likely to pick up diseases from your birds, or spread them (as a result of the stress and immune response). PDD and PBFD are 2 viruses that can be totally asymptomatic in carriers and not all birds get sick from it at the same rate (but it can be very deadly to many).

Noodles got when I brought her home (some sort of bacteria). I first assumed poop was off due to stress, but it continued and she seemed a bit fluffed etc...No one seemed concerned (assumed it was just stress) but it turns out she did in fact have an infection.

Have you changed her diet significantly from what it was? That is also something to be mindful of (you want to make any changes gradually).

Last edited:

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
Basil - 22yr male SI Eclectus
River - male GCC
Nemo - female BCC - handicapped
Summer - female pineapple gcc
Rainbow - male yellow side gcc
Lando - male black headed caique
Paprika - female SI eclectu
I believe the brighter green comes from less food in the digestive tract and the natural enzymes etc in the stomach make the poop greener. I remember reading this somewhere a while ago, but I could be mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Poop during and/or after a trip of mid to major undertaking will be different from normal poop. Commonly, one is looking at poop 24 thru 48 hours after a trip before they return to a normal stool.

That said, the above cautions are well founded and having a 'full' new bird examination is merited with any new Parrot.

Thank-you for bringing an older Parrot into your home!

Most Reactions