Cockatiel has green stain on her bum..

Niya567765

Sep 23, 2023
Parrots
2 budgies
Is it normal? And her poop has been watery it's light green as well

The only things that have changed is that she's been eating pellets (nothing else, just pellets. She we originally eating seeds) and her budgie friend passed. I mentioned that just in case she could be a little sad about it or stressed causing poop to change?

She also hasn't been excited for water when I give it to her anymore, so she can't be drinking a lot to make it watery

Attachments

• IMG_6958.jpeg
    IMG_6958.jpeg
    281 KB · Views: 17

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

The only things that have changed is that she's been eating pellets (nothing else, just pellets. She we originally eating seeds) and her budgie friend passed. I mentioned that just in case she could be a little sad about it or stressed causing poop to change?

She also hasn't been excited for water when I give it to her anymore, so she can't be drinking a lot to make it watery
If your cockatiel eats vegetables or fruit her poops will get wetter and she may be a trace of her poop on her vent feathers as she poops which can easily stain them light greenish like that. You say she hasn't been drinking much but how many hours a day do you watch her? She could be drinking when you aren't looking.

Place a piece of white paper towel on the cage floor under her favorite perch at night and examone it in the morning. Take photos of the poops on the paper towel and post them here. We would be happy to give our opinions. However, the only real way to determine if she's healthy is a check up with an experienced avian vet.

OP
Niya567765

Niya567765

Sep 23, 2023
Parrots
2 budgies
If your cockatiel eats vegetables or fruit her poops will get wetter and she may be a trace of her poop on her vent feathers as she poops which can easily stain them light greenish like that. You say she hasn't been drinking much but how many hours a day do you watch her? She could be drinking when you aren't looking.

Place a piece of white paper towel on the cage floor under her favorite perch at night and examone it in the morning. Take photos of the poops on the paper towel and post them here. We would be happy to give our opinions. However, the only real way to determine if she's healthy is a check up with an experienced avian vet.
She's not eating veggies, BUT she did just eat some like 40mins ago bcz I made chop. Which is surprising bcz I've made it before and she didn't eat it. i guess she's just feeling curious about new foods tonight. But it's been green and watery before this.

Anyways since she only has one bowl in the cage, I give her water in the morning and when I get back home. But recently she hasn't been drinking it when I offer it.

But then again, she has been free foaming recently and there's always a water bowl on top of her cage so i wouldn't see her drink. (Bcz she also free foams when I'm gone) or when I am home, i still just don't see it lol

Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
She's not eating veggies, BUT she did just eat some like 40mins ago bcz I made chop. Which is surprising bcz I've made it before and she didn't eat it. i guess she's just feeling curious about new foods tonight. But it's been green and watery before this.

Anyways since she only has one bowl in the cage, I give her water in the morning and when I get back home. But recently she hasn't been drinking it when I offer it.

But then again, she has been free foaming recently and there's always a water bowl on top of her cage so i wouldn't see her drink. (Bcz she also free foams when I'm gone) or when I am home, i still just don't see it lol
Why doesn't she always have a bowl of fresh water inside her cage? What if she wants a drink of water at night? She must be drinking water if her poops are watery- she would be passing much drier ones if she didn't drink at all. Since tiels are well adapted to a hot dry climate in nature they are able to preserve their body water by making very concentrated urine when necessary.

What do you mean by "free foaming"? A typo for 'free roaming"? Do you ever keep her locked in her cage? At night? Is she loose even when you aren't home? I obviously don't know your living situation but are you sure it's safe with no supervision? I admit that I had a budgie years ago that I let fly around my bedroom when I wasn't home but it was a fairly small, mostly bird safe bedroom, my door was always shut, and I trusted my roomates to stay out and keep the door shut. I don't think I would take that chance today- I would worry too much.
Anyway, I'm happy to hear she's decided to eat chop! Isn't it so rewarding when you prepare healthy food for your bird and they actually enjoy eating it! I made a big batch of chop a couple days ago and the stuff looked so good I was tempted to eat a bowl myself but I don't add any salt or other seasonings so its pretty bland.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels

You changed its diet to processed food. That's why it's poop has gone all yuky. With holding seed/grain from a granivore is like with holding meat from a carnivore. Its cruel.
I give my tiel a balanced diet, a seed/pellet mix as recommended by my vet and I always have water in the cage for him to drink or bathe.

OP
Niya567765

Niya567765

Sep 23, 2023
Parrots
2 budgies
Why doesn't she always have a bowl of fresh water inside her cage? What if she wants a drink of water at night? She must be drinking water if her poops are watery- she would be passing much drier ones if she didn't drink at all. Since tiels are well adapted to a hot dry climate in nature they are able to preserve their body water by making very concentrated urine when necessary.

What do you mean by "free foaming"? A typo for 'free roaming"? Do you ever keep her locked in her cage? At night? Is she loose even when you aren't home? I obviously don't know your living situation but are you sure it's safe with no supervision? I admit that I had a budgie years ago that I let fly around my bedroom when I wasn't home but it was a fairly small, mostly bird safe bedroom, my door was always shut, and I trusted my roomates to stay out and keep the door shut. I don't think I would take that chance today- I would worry too much.
Anyway, I'm happy to hear she's decided to eat chop! Isn't it so rewarding when you prepare healthy food for your bird and they actually enjoy eating it! I made a big batch of chop a couple days ago and the stuff looked so good I was tempted to eat a bowl myself but I don't add any salt or other seasonings so its pretty bland.
Yes free roaming. Her and the budge. hate being separated. sometimes they share a cage. They are never in the cage. Maybe sometimes at night only when my dog sleeps in my room.

She doesn't have a water bowl because it started rusting and I'm pretty sure it's bad for birds. I need to do another Temu order bcz their bowls don't rust. I don't trust amazon bc it's to many reviews about the bowls rusting.

update: this morning she had chunks of poo instead of liquid. I think she just wasn't eating enough. So that's my bad. Bc last night i let her eat pellets for sooo longggg (like she had done before) and lots of veggies. Good poop!!

Last edited:
OP
Niya567765

Niya567765

Sep 23, 2023
Parrots
2 budgies
You changed its diet to processed food. That's why it's poop has gone all yuky. With holding seed/grain from a granivore is like with holding meat from a carnivore. Its cruel.
I give my tiel a balanced diet, a seed/pellet mix as recommended by my vet and I always have water in the cage for him to drink or bathe.
She doesn't have seeds bc shes transitioning to pellets. It's only been 4 or 5 days without seeds. Now that she eats pellets And chop I'm gonna bring it back in

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
She doesn't have seeds bc shes transitioning to pellets. It's only been 4 or 5 days without seeds. Now that she eats pellets And chop I'm gonna bring it back in
A balanced diet is always best
Give the poor thing some seeds

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
You have gotten some good advice from our Budgie Battalion (by far the most common parrot held by Forum members). My advice however is to have the little one checked by a qualified Avian Vet (not a dog and cat vet!). Not so much because the poops are watery (though for me that is enough) but because staining of her vent feathers is pretty apparent. TO me that is a bad signal that something is off, because most parrots are pretty fastidious about keeping clean. Every healthy poop has some element of water or watery discharge, along with white uremic acid and dark green solids. The appearance changes with diet. Welcome to the Wonderful World of (poop) Color !

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
Your bird needs a checkup at an avian vet. You should ALWAYS have water available 24 hrs. a day & you are not using stainless steel bowls if it is getting rusty. Why do you only have 1 bowl in the cage? Also, you should never leave birds out of the cage when you are not home, or sleeping. It's very unsafe because you are not there to help if one has an accident. It is a recipe for disaster.

Most Reactions

Latest posts