New Green Cheek family questions

Ziggy Pickles

Aug 21, 2021
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hello all,

We brought home our adorable 4 month old GCC Ziggy Pickles yesterday. I know we are to leave him in his cage for about a week to let him get accustomed. When we brought home our Budgie he was terrified and basically sat like a statue on his perch for a couple days before starting to explore. Ziggy, this guy is a nut and within 10 minutes was exploring his cage, eating and drinking. He is all over the cage and immediately comes to the front of the cage when you approach and follows you as you move. He seems quite comfortable and seems like he wants out for attention. He will also look at you and you and rapidly bob his head, and at times sway his head left and right. Am I crazy to think he is already comfortable and wants out to play?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
yes you can take your conure out and play with them. The "leave them in a week to adjust" isnt a steadfast rule and if your bird is showing signs of being okay and ready then it's a good idea to take them out and start the bonding process

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Totally agree with Owlet! I just watch their body language. If your bird displays any anxiety or looks overwhelmed it may be helpful to let them go back and settle in their cage where they can have a snack and chill out.

OP
Z

Ziggy Pickles

Aug 21, 2021
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Thanks guys, I have a cage with top that opens. Opened it up and he is happily checking it out. He flew off once and easily went on my hand for help back up :)
20210821_135925.jpg

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hi and welcome!
Please be aware, that style cage top has killed many fids! A- The perch can fall, and the hatch will crush your baby! B- When closed, they tend to have enough play for a bird to wiggle part way out, becoming trapped!
Mine is tightly tyewraped shut!
Also. Consider adding some simple natural perches! Best for your little one! Nothing fancy is needed, Walmart has some very inexpensive perches!

OP
Z

Ziggy Pickles

Aug 21, 2021
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hi and welcome!
Please be aware, that style cage top has killed many fids! A- The perch can fall, and the hatch will crush your baby! B- When closed, they tend to have enough play for a bird to wiggle part way out, becoming trapped!
Mine is tightly tyewraped shut!
Also. Consider adding some simple natural perches! Best for your little one! Nothing fancy is needed, Walmart has some very inexpensive perches!
Thank you for the reply. Yes, we have had him since Friday and all natural perches are definitely going to be swapped out shortly. The Cage is extremely stout and there is no way the top can budge when closed. I am very conscientious when opening and securing but thanks for the heads up on that. Yes, in the picture I posted the open top looks horrible and not secure. t was the first time I opened it and Ziggy immediately climbed to tht w top and left me in a predicament on getting it secured haha. I have since learned how to properly adjust .

OP
Z

Ziggy Pickles

Aug 21, 2021
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Is it normal for him to continually nibble all over your hands, or face when presented? Its a fast rythmic nibble that includes his tongue, until he finds a meaty section he can really grab lol. I am assuming he is just exploring?

Most Reactions

Latest posts