New here and lost my conure

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Renal gout can be advanced by excess protein intake, though your diet for Alex appears mainstream. I've attached a comprehensive article discussing kidney anatomy and function, renal gout discussed page 457. http://avianmedicine.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/16_kidneys.pdf

Given Alex's young age, might there be a hereditary component? Parrots are masters at hiding illness, there was likely no advance warning short of comprehensive blood analysis. Stress is impactful, though folks routinely move parrots without harm.

Please know that while the pathology report was not entirely comforting, most or all of us would have done similar given the circumstances. Sometimes the unthinkable happens despite our best efforts. I am certain Alex knew he was dearly loved and a bit of him will sing in your heart forever.

Scott most excellent link@ will you stick it ornithology thread too? I need to read with some glasses on print is so tiny. Definitely will read closely when time permits.

Lisa, you fed an excellent diet. Definitely nit deficient in Vitamin A. That was they only link with gout i saw, and said in article not appearing that gout is nutritional..

I saw viruses may play a role. And with a young bird like yours, I could lean he came home with a virus, many are out there, many times the bird can overcome them, and we never know. So much research needs doing in parrots. And there has become more warehouse breeding of birds for pet trade than used to exist. And not enough regulations and testing.. just thoughts

And also possibly a hereditary condition. As Scott mentioned.

And while additional stress like moving, can push them past the ability to cope sooner, this was an ongoing issue, and was going to take him anyway... sadly.....I so wish they showed us early signs of being in trouble,....I so wish they did. You didn't do anything wrong!

OP
L

Lisa999

Dec 31, 2020
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Alex GCC - RIP
Thank you everybody again for taking time to write a response. This is such a supportive community. I'll be reading and educating myself more about birds. I would go to that pet store again and buy Alex again even if I knew he came with a virus or a disease. I just wished I knew then what I know now... He was an amazing bird and very special to our family.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Please know that while the pathology report was not entirely comforting, most or all of us would have done similar given the circumstances. Sometimes the unthinkable happens despite our best efforts. I am certain Alex knew he was dearly loved and a bit of him will sing in your heart forever.

Scott is, of course, absolutely right, Lisa, and I don't think there was anything particularly wrong with Alex's diet. I also believe that many pet birds are victims of bad breeding practices and come with pre-existing health and/or genetic issues that prospective owners know nothing about and, like you, are left heartbroken as a result. I'm so sorry that this has happened to you Lisa, but I do believe that you are most wonderful bird mom. Your heart will know when the time is right to try again.

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Thank you everybody again for taking time to write a response. This is such a supportive community. I'll be reading and educating myself more about birds. I would go to that pet store again and buy Alex again even if I knew he came with a virus or a disease. I just wished I knew then what I know now... He was an amazing bird and very special to our family.

Hi Lisa, when reading your words and expression of love for Alex, I do picture you bringing home a rescue/re-home some day and loving it for it's lifespan, whether short or long. You are a gem.:)

I try to do the best for Ellie and Bertie everyday. Today I am more knowledgeable than yesterday. Tomorrow I will be wiser than today. We learn, we grow, we change - like you, we do our best today and every day.

OP
L

Lisa999

Dec 31, 2020
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Alex GCC - RIP

Hi Lisa, when reading your words and expression of love for Alex, I do picture you bringing home a rescue/re-home some day and loving it for it's lifespan, whether short or long. You are a gem.:)

I try to do the best for Ellie and Bertie everyday. Today I am more knowledgeable than yesterday. Tomorrow I will be wiser than today. We learn, we grow, we change - like you, we do our best today and every day.

Thank you, Ellie! Your kind words made me feel good today. A rescue bird is in my thoughts :)

OP
L

Lisa999

Dec 31, 2020
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Alex GCC - RIP

Scott is, of course, absolutely right, Lisa, and I don't think there was anything particularly wrong with Alex's diet. I also believe that many pet birds are victims of bad breeding practices and come with pre-existing health and/or genetic issues that prospective owners know nothing about and, like you, are left heartbroken as a result. I'm so sorry that this has happened to you Lisa, but I do believe that you are most wonderful bird mom. Your heart will know when the time is right to try again.

Thank you, Martina for your support. It's been good to have support especially from people like you who understand what it feels like loosing a bird ...

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
You're more than welcome Lisa. I've had birds all my life and have loved them all but was not prepared for how quickly baby Baci would become the love of my life and had no idea how utterly devastating it would be to lose him. I was so lucky to find this community who opened their hearts to help get me, a complete stranger to them, through what was a very dark time. I'm so glad we have been able to provide some measure of comfort for you, a fellow traveller.

Baci's life was short but his legacy lives through my efforts to pay back this community for it's kindness, and it's already apparent that you are honouring Alex in the same way. I'm so looking forward to the day that you bring your new baby home - it'll probably make me cry all over again but they will be happy tears this time! Any little birdie who gets to come home with you will be the luckiest birdie in the world :)

OP
L

Lisa999

Dec 31, 2020
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Alex GCC - RIP
You're more than welcome Lisa. I've had birds all my life and have loved them all but was not prepared for how quickly baby Baci would become the love of my life and had no idea how utterly devastating it would be to lose him. I was so lucky to find this community who opened their hearts to help get me, a complete stranger to them, through what was a very dark time. I'm so glad we have been able to provide some measure of comfort for you, a fellow traveller.

Baci's life was short but his legacy lives through my efforts to pay back this community for it's kindness, and it's already apparent that you are honouring Alex in the same way. I'm so looking forward to the day that you bring your new baby home - it'll probably make me cry all over again but they will be happy tears this time! Any little birdie who gets to come home with you will be the luckiest birdie in the world :)

Thank you, Martina! You said it very well, I feel the same way - I am complete stranger to this community and you've been helping me so much through this dark time.

Most Reactions