New Here :)

Fae88

Oct 10, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Bruno (male Grey Cockatiel, under a year old)
Hello my name is Samantha. I have owned parrots in the past. I grew up with parakeets in the house, and also a beautiful male lutino cockatiel named "Scooter" who I loved so much.

A few days ago I was talking to a friend I work with about how I would love to have a parrot again. She then mentioned to me that she had a friend looking for a home for a male lovebird she bought on a whim. She asked if I would be interested in him. And though I have no experience with lovebirds I said that I was definitely interested.

My friend at work actually was already given the female lovebird my male was living with. She is my friends first bird ever, and she even asked if things didn't work out would I mind taking the female. I told her of course I would. But I am not 100% sure she is going to want to rehome her. So as of right now I am just in the wait and see stage about the female.

So anyways the next day my friend brought the male to work for me to take home. He is a ADORABLE peach faced Lovebird. I ended up naming him "Skittles" since he has so many colors on him. He came with his cage (I plan to buy him a bigger one in the near future), food, and a couple toys.

I plan to make him a few homemade toys today to entertain him until I get paid at the end of the week. He is a sweet boy. I can't whistle. But when I make kissing noises at him he mimics me and gets as close to me as he possibly can in his cage. I have only had him for about a day and a half and have not put my hand in his cage other than to change out his food/water and remove a grape he wasent interested in. He opens his beak and acts like he will bite but I just ignored him and went about my business.

I am afraid to leave his cage open just yet. My friend told me that her female love birds wings are not clipped and that she had an ordeal the other day when her bird got out of her cage. She did tell me that a vet in town will clip wings for $5. I am going to call the vet Monday and confirm that.

Because that is the best way to work on hand taming him right? I know it helped with my Cockatiel when I first got him.

I know it is potentially not good for Skittles to be alone. But I have been doing like the books and web sites say and giving him huge amounts of attention and like I said I plan to provide lots of toys and stimulation to his every day life.

If he seems absolutely depressed and my friend is not willing to part with the female I am open to the possibility of buying another love bird and going through quarantine ect so that he can have a companion.

Anyways lol. So Skittles and I are new members and I look forward to getting to know everyone and their fids ;). I will share pics as soon as possible, because he is the cutest guy ever.

Last edited:
Welcome! Sounds like your really excited about having Skittles :heart:

Lovebirds are awesome, a handful of people on the forum have them. Such cute birdies! You should see if there's any certified avian vets in your area, and get skittles in for a checkup if possible. This will let you know if he's healthy or not(being wild they hide this amazingly well) and if anything ever goes wrong yiu'll already have a relationship with that vet. Feel free to ask about diet, lots of lovebird parronts available t help you with that :)

Do you have any photos of skittles?

Hello :) and thanks for the info! The vet I plan to call tomorrow specializes in "exotics" and I believe he is a avian vet. I will know for sure after I call the vet office.

I am not sure how to post pics here yet. But Skittles is my avatar :).

Last edited:
Awww! He's so sweet looking!

If your on a computer it's very easy to post photos, just post the photo somewhere online(I use Flickr, but also take images from my Facebook and DeviantArt), then right click the image. A window will pop up, click "view image". From there it will take you to a page with only the image, copy the URL.
When posting in the forum you'll see a small yellow box with mountains and a sun. Click that, a little window will pop up. Put the URL there. The image should appear in your comment. You can also select the image, highlight it as you would with text, right click and select "copy image". In the comment box right click and press "past".

Many members use photobucket, I personally dislike it. It's really annoying when I click the image and it takes me to a the images location on photobucket.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back