New house smells like cigarette smoke any suggestions?

Birbberry

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel parakeets
My new house smells like cigarette smoke and it's strong enough that I don't feel safe bringing my bird. luckily I have two weeks before the bird has to be moved from my other place so does anyone have any suggestions how to get rid of that smoke smell?

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
A Home that has been exposed to heavy smoking can be difficult to clean as the residue is on every surface. Soft surfaces are where you want to start first and although having a carpet cleaning service may help. Sometimes, the smoke oil is so deep into the carpet that replacement is your only choice.

Paint all painted surfaces with a primer and then paint , after an extensive washing Having the forced air and all ducts deep cleaned helps as does the replacement of the filters. If the furnace is greater than fifteen years old, consider replacing it as new technology will cost much less to operate.

Dump all furniture that was left behind as the smoke oil is deep into all soft surfaces.

Sadly, the Buy /Sell agreement should have included a statement regarding Smoke Smell and the price of the home should have been adjusted to cover costs of cleaning and replacements.

Most Reactions