New-ish

GirdyBirdy

Mar 1, 2024
Hi,
New to the community and considering going to a bird show for the first time. I would love to buy an Amazon. I have some experience with them and would like to own my own. What do I need to know about the shows? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
before you do anything, read, several times and with full understanding, the 2 threads at the top of our Amazon sub-forum, "I Love Amazons" and 'Amazon Body Language". Amazon parrots are a class unto themselves. Not usually recommended as a first parrot, tho not unheard of.

I have to say bird shows are not the favorite venue for acquiring a new parrot. Learn about them yes, see and talk to folks about them, yes. Buy one there? Not ideal. THe ideal way to find one is to visit a breeder and let the parrot choose you. Honestly they are much better at it and if one does select you, you are more then 1/2 there. Truly.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
If you are looking for a specific species of Amazon parrot you will likely find a larger selection at a fair than a pet shop.
visiting a breeder is probably better but not everyone has an available breeder Close by.

As Wrench says it’s best to let the parrot choose you and in a bird fair so much is going on that is difficult.
just keep in mind if you get your bird there you will need to put in a lot of work earning your birds trust and forging a bond.

Most Reactions

Latest posts