New member with question!

afish1031

New member
Joined
May 14, 2026
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
Parrots
Caique, Indian Ringneck, Budgies, Lovebird, Quaker
Hi! I've had companion parrots over 30 years now, big, medium, and small. Just no macaws! I currently have a young white bellied caique, green Indian ringneck, flock of budgies, a quaker and a lovebird. My birds spend lots of their days flying free in different bird safe parts of the house. I do training and bonding with everyone daily. I consider myself very experienced but there's always more to learn! Currently I have a very shy female IRN who tolerates my caique even though their very different energy levels. She perches very high most of the day, coming down only to eat. She is not afraid of me or hands but does not step up or readily seek me out. She basically observes from up high and is almost silent at all times. I've always wanted a male IRN and I know they can match well with the more territorial females (not for breeding, just companionship) with separate cages and slow intros. Anyone had luck introducing a more outgoing male to a reserved female irn? I'm worried she's not happy or coming out of her shell (I've had her @3 month) and I wonder if she's lonely. I myself would love a male too. A local home breeder who is very ethical has gorgeous well socialized turquoise IRNs and I wonder if I should add one to my flock. I also need to consider the caique who loves my female irn but may or may not accept a new bird in his bird room area...he's a doll, but could potentially get spicy. Thanks for any feedback!!!
 
Birds are such individuals that it's going to be hard to predict who will get along with who, even if someone else has been successful in a similar situation in the past. We'd love to see pics of your flock.
 
Back
Top Bottom