New Parrot! Help.

Zilaxia

Jun 19, 2021
Florida
Parrots
Female Lutino Cockatiel. Male Pied Cockatiel.
My dad bought a new cockatiel for me, a female Lutino, I named her Luna, she is very cute, but TERRIFIED of everyone. I know nothing about the man who had her, but im guessing he was a pretty bad owner since she doesn't even like being held. I want to know what to do to make her trust me and not be scared of me. I don't know how to do it on my own because I have raised every bird i've had so of course they grew to love me. The owner said that Luna is just a few months old. I just want some tips on how to make her trust me.

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
I would recommend to let her settle in a bit before interaction..
Let her settle in for a week (maybe more depending on the bird) before starting any hand interactions with her,
Sit next to her (not too close!) and read, talk about your day, or just have a chat with her in a soothing voice till she gets used to it.
After she’s used to you being around just offer her a millet spray,
I think the longer the better and hold the millet at the tip and try to get as far as possible from the cage but close enough to have some of the millet spray in her cage (between the bars)
Once she’s confident enough to eat a bit of it, make you hand climb a bit closer,
Becomes comfortable with your hand being a bit closer
Then make it a bit more closer until she’s eating from between your fingers
You cab then try targeting
Moving at the birds pace and patience is key to taming a bird
My cockatiel was very aggressive and cage bound that it took me well over 3 years of training before she was ok (most the time) to let me touch things in her cage without her coming to charge at me or have her step up while she’s in her cage

Body language is very important so keep an eye out and study her body language before moving to another step

Great read:

Some threads that might help!

Last edited:
OP
Zilaxia

Zilaxia

Jun 19, 2021
Florida
Parrots
I would recommend to let her settle in a bit before interaction..
Let her settle in for a week (maybe more depending on the bird) before starting any hand interactions with her,
Sit next to her (not too close!) and read, talk about your day, or just have a chat with her in a soothing voice till she gets used to it.
After she’s used to you being around just offer her a millet spray,
I think the longer the better and hold the millet at the tip and try to get as far as possible from the cage but close enough to have some of the millet spray in her cage (between the bars)
Once she’s confident enough to eat a bit of it, make you hand climb a bit closer,
Becomes comfortable with your hand being a bit closer
Then make it a bit more closer until she’s eating from between your fingers
You cab then try targeting
Moving at the birds pace and patience is key to taming a bird
My cockatiel was very aggressive and cage bound that it took me well over 3 years of training before she was ok (most the time) to let me touch things in her cage without her coming to charge at me or have her step up while she’s in her cage

Body language is very important so keep an eye out and study her body language before moving to another step

Great read:

Some threads that might help!

Thanks! She has actually been getting a lot better and doesn't even bite anymore, a hiss happens sometimes but she even lets me pet her now! Its great.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
My dad bought a new cockatiel for me, a female Lutino, I named her Luna, she is very cute, but TERRIFIED of everyone. I know nothing about the man who had her, but im guessing he was a pretty bad owner since she doesn't even like being held. I want to know what to do to make her trust me and not be scared of me. I don't know how to do it on my own because I have raised every bird i've had so of course they grew to love me. The owner said that Luna is just a few months old. I just want some tips on how to make her trust me.
Let me just say, they don't have to be mistreated to be scared of you. You are at least 50x larger than them, you have a deep voice, and move like a predator. Even baby birds who were hand raised can be scared with a new owner. A lot of people seem to automatically assume their bird was mistreated if they aren't tame within a certain period of time or if they don't meet expectations, which usually isn't the case!

OP
Zilaxia

Zilaxia

Jun 19, 2021
Florida
Parrots
Let me just say, they don't have to be mistreated to be scared of you. You are at least 50x larger than them, you have a deep voice, and move like a predator. Even baby birds who were hand raised can be scared with a new owner. A lot of people seem to automatically assume their bird was mistreated if they aren't tame within a certain period of time or if they don't meet expectations, which usually isn't the case!
I agree! But I can guarantee that the owner before me was pretty bad, lets just say..he keeps the birds in travel cages..multiple of them. My dad showed me a picture of Luna (the lutino) when she was in the previous owners care and oh my god, you could see the other birds in the background, 7-10 birds in TRAVEL CAGES, EMPTY ONES. Whats even worse is that this guy, according to my dad, has been in this business for years, and sells OTHER ANIMALS that aren't just cockatiels. It is horrid. You are right though, when I made this post I just assumed abused cockatiels acted aggressive, im still a pretty new owner. but wow, was I right.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I agree! But I can guarantee that the owner before me was pretty bad, lets just say..he keeps the birds in travel cages..multiple of them. My dad showed me a picture of Luna (the lutino) when she was in the previous owners care and oh my god, you could see the other birds in the background, 7-10 birds in TRAVEL CAGES, EMPTY ONES. Whats even worse is that this guy, according to my dad, has been in this business for years, and sells OTHER ANIMALS that aren't just cockatiels. It is horrid. You are right though, when I made this post I just assumed abused cockatiels acted aggressive, im still a pretty new owner. but wow, was I right.
Well, in that case, it is neglect. I used to make that mistake too, though, so you're not alone :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts