New pineapple - double checking caging

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
also, you can DNA test your bird very easily by going online tohttp://www.avianbiotech.com/SexingCenter.htm order a kit, when the kit arrives you pull 4-6 chest feathers and send them off for testing. its about $22.00 :) never take them to a vet to do it.. they surgically set or cut a toenail pretty deep for blood. not very nice if you ask me.
and its going to cost a lot more at the vet.

I want to have our new yellow naped amazon sexed and was going to take him to the vet...until I saw this! BUT I also can't imagine pulling chest feathers out. Any recommendation on how to accomplish this?

Please read my reply before yours.

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Sorry, didn't read the calcium perch part :eek: you know if you go on dr foster and smith you could find foraging toys, perches,food bowls, and bird food really cheap ! I am no longer ordering from petco as they take too long for shipping and over price the products. It only took them a day for dr foster and smith for my order to come ! Have read about birdie Piniatas ? They are great ! What you do is that you fill it up with treats and hang it in they're. It takes them a while to tear in it so it's great for me to put in before I go to school. I would first hold off on addings new things to the cage as you only got him yesterday and he is trying to get use his cage.

OP
N

NikiP87

Oct 25, 2012
Currently i'm waiting for an ID of the tree in our front yard from my mother, the only tree we have. Gotto love FL, sand everywhere -.- Pretty sure it's an elm. If so, i've got a good source of branches to bake. Otherwise i'm going to collect driftwood for some of my snake tanks next week & will look for other trees off the safe list.

Not to keen on buying a ton of toys when stuff is easy enough to make. Currently I have 4 days off a week, so more then enough time to do that :) Really got into doing self made enrichment stuff with my other critters. And I do have parts for foraging toys coming in :)

This the site I ordered parts off of: Welcome to Blu's Bird Toys -

One thing I have figured out is that Vasily has a strong dislike for red. Might be part of the toy issue, every one of them has red in it. I have enough parts coming in that I can leave it out for a few toys to experiment with.

Also got this table top stand Petco Premium 3-in-1 Playground for Birds at PETCO

The bf knocked himself out with allergy meds this evening due to a bad attack so i've spent the last while with Vasily. He/she has enjoyed an assortment of tasty goodies on a paper plate. There's even been preening of my face & conversation chatter. It is clearly a daddy's baby, but hopeful it will like two people.

chickymonkey

Oct 1, 2012
USA
Parrots
Crimson conures, Roseifrons, Sun, Sunday and cockatiels.
also, you can DNA test your bird very easily by going online tohttp://www.avianbiotech.com/SexingCenter.htm order a kit, when the kit arrives you pull 4-6 chest feathers and send them off for testing. its about $22.00 :) never take them to a vet to do it.. they surgically set or cut a toenail pretty deep for blood. not very nice if you ask me.
and its going to cost a lot more at the vet.

I want to have our new yellow naped amazon sexed and was going to take him to the vet...until I saw this! BUT I also can't imagine pulling chest feathers out. Any recommendation on how to accomplish this?

Please read my reply before yours.

I did read it...before I posted my question to conurelady....

Most Reactions