New pineapple green cheek conure scared of hands

Zeeby

Nov 1, 2022
Parrots
4 budgies, 1 pineapple green cheek conure
I got a 10 month old pineapple conure a couple days ago and he settled right in, he is already wanting attention and coming out of the cage to greet me and receive treats. His previous owners bought him from Petco and he wasn't handfed, they didn't have the time for him so he was never tamed but I have already gained his trust. They also had him on a seed and pellet diet so I am slowly transitioning him over to a vegetable, sprout and Fruit diet with fruit making up just a small portion of his meal. I let him settle in and he wanted attention on the second day we had him. He will happily eat out of my hand but if I offer my hand without food he quickly backs away and will back away even when I offer one hand with a treat and the other, a bit farther away from him, without a treat. I never put my hand directly above him so as not to scare him and always bring my hand up from below him, but not directly below him. How should I get him used to my hand? Also I am going to replace the plastic toy with more natural, bird safe toys

Attachments

• VID_20221030_085219412_exported_15416~2.jpg
    VID_20221030_085219412_exported_15416~2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20221031_075356212.jpg
    IMG_20221031_075356212.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 51

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I would keep giving yummy treats with your hands to get him use to them and associate your hands with good things

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I dont have much to say but, while getting natural "shredding" toys is a good idea, plastic toys aren't always that bad! Especially with conures, sometimes they just like to toss things around. I have a couple plastic toys for Aster with bells and plastic rings and etc and she loves to just mess with them.

OP
Zeeby

Zeeby

Nov 1, 2022
Parrots
4 budgies, 1 pineapple green cheek conure
I dont have much to say but, while getting natural "shredding" toys is a good idea, plastic toys aren't always that bad! Especially with conures, sometimes they just like to toss things around. I have a couple plastic toys for Aster with bells and plastic rings and etc and she loves to just mess with them.
That's nice to know, I just remember hearing somewhere that plastic isn't very good for birds but I'm glad that it's alright

Most Reactions