New Rescue Congo Help

Joelynnns

New member
Joined
Jan 27, 2022
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
Parrots
Etta ❤️Nora 💛Zack💚 Bebe🧡
Hello Everyone,
I have recently taken in a 14 year old Grey. She is pretty plucked and has not been out of her cage much so she isn't friendly. Her diet was just seed and she loves peanuts. Im determined to help. I have had birds for years but little one, conures and cockatiels. I'm determined to gain her trust, get her on a healthier diet, make sure she is stimulated and out of the cage to be happier. I'm looking for ideas or trick people have used. She came to live with me Sunday so she has only been in my home for 5 days and already talking and making noise. She took apple out of my hand but she gets puffed up and goes to the back of the cage and hangs upside down. She has an appointment to see my avian vet soon, she is in her own room where its quiet. I know she wants out cause she is telling me, "let me out'" and shakes the cage where the top door is. I can open the door and let her walk out on to her cage but I'm worried about how I'm going to get her back in. Open to hearing any and all ideas and suggestions. Thank you
 
Welcome. Don't trust her saying let me out and cage rattling. It could be a statement learned that got a desired response. CAG's especially don't do well with quiet. They have the reputation of becoming neurotic with boredom. I don't agree but that's the rep. I even had my first avian vet tell me that trying to discourage me from getting one. Give her stimulation. It doesn't have to be much to avoid overwhelming her in her new home. Talk to her. It doesn't matter what you say. Speak pleasantly. TV, radio, streaming, audio books whatever will help pass the time. Don't rush, patience can't be emphasized enough. Pay attention to her. Focus on her body language. It can be difficult to identify at first. This can make things easier on the both of you. I have a female CAG who has been my owner for just over 21 years. The key is I let her think she's winning. We're both happy. Her tells let me know when to ignore her. Getting yours on a good diet is the bane of parrot especially large parrot owners. Go slow. Birds are flock. You are now her human flock. Eating bird safe foods in front of her can stimulate experiments with fresh veggies and fruits. Welcome. There's lots of advice here. Much can apply to any parrot no matter the type. Post pics and what's her name? I took too long naming so at 4 months mine called herself Nameliss.
 
Thank you for taking in a rescue.

I don’t have any special advice other than to take things at her pace.
Our CAG was a rescue and friendly from day one.
 
Welcome. Don't trust her saying let me out and cage rattling. It could be a statement learned that got a desired response. CAG's especially don't do well with quiet. They have the reputation of becoming neurotic with boredom. I don't agree but that's the rep. I even had my first avian vet tell me that trying to discourage me from getting one. Give her stimulation. It doesn't have to be much to avoid overwhelming her in her new home. Talk to her. It doesn't matter what you say. Speak pleasantly. TV, radio, streaming, audio books whatever will help pass the time. Don't rush, patience can't be emphasized enough. Pay attention to her. Focus on her body language. It can be difficult to identify at first. This can make things easier on the both of you. I have a female CAG who has been my owner for just over 21 years. The key is I let her think she's winning. We're both happy. Her tells let me know when to ignore her. Getting yours on a good diet is the bane of parrot especially large parrot owners. Go slow. Birds are flock. You are now her human flock. Eating bird safe foods in front of her can stimulate experiments with fresh veggies and fruits. Welcome. There's lots of advice here. Much can apply to any parrot no matter the type. Post pics and what's her name? I took too long naming so at 4 months mine called herself Nameliss.
I forgot. Easy and difficult to destroy bird safe toys for entertainment. Cheap until you learn her taste.
 
Just checking in to see how things are going? Hopefully she is settling in?
 

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom